1st Summer Trip with kids, tips?

kristidiaz1

Mouseketeer
Not new to Disney with kids, but we've always gone in fall. Not an option this year due to a new job, and our trip also has to be slightly shorter.

We have 2 boys, 1 huge Star Wars fan and 1 huge Toy Story fan so lots to do in HS. Currently have planned 2 days each in MK & HS, had to cut back to 1 EP, 1 AK. 1 free day for maybe DS or a full break day as it's our 1st time at the Contemporary and we're really excited to explore. Other than the general tempering our expectations and trying to stick to a list of must-do's, does anyone have any specific advise/tips for summer and kids? I'm getting nervous about the heat and crowds and not being able to tour like we normally would.

I think the easy travel to MK is a plus, and monorail access. We are open to adding an extra or 2 to help with crowds-we did (and loved) MK EMM and the HEA dessert party on our last trip, PPO breakfasts etc. Anyone have a favorite that helped or they think is a good value/added a great perk?

Trying to get the most bang for the buck in the sweltering heat :) Thanks for any tips!

Just of couple of basic things to tell you. 1st, walk to MK instead of taking the monorail, it's a pleasant walk, they have a security check point there and it is definitely quicker than the monorail, especially at park opening. 2nd, go to the parks early 8:00 or 9:00 AM and return to the CR for a mid-day break when the heat is the worst. Then you can return to the parks @ 6:00 PM feeling refreshed. This will also give you a chance to "explore" the CR. Park hoppers may be helpful also. Good luck !

Thanks! We do have park hoppers, as they were a requirement for the free dining bounce back offer we have booked. I wasn't sure if we would end up using them or not, but we have the option..maybe being more crowded than we're used to we might hop to another park for the evening?

Not new to Disney with kids, but we've always gone in fall. Not an option this year due to a new job, and our trip also has to be slightly shorter.

We have 2 boys, 1 huge Star Wars fan and 1 huge Toy Story fan so lots to do in HS. Currently have planned 2 days each in MK & HS, had to cut back to 1 EP, 1 AK. 1 free day for maybe DS or a full break day as it's our 1st time at the Contemporary and we're really excited to explore. Other than the general tempering our expectations and trying to stick to a list of must-do's, does anyone have any specific advise/tips for summer and kids? I'm getting nervous about the heat and crowds and not being able to tour like we normally would.

I think the easy travel to MK is a plus, and monorail access. We are open to adding an extra or 2 to help with crowds-we did (and loved) MK EMM and the HEA dessert party on our last trip, PPO breakfasts etc. Anyone have a favorite that helped or they think is a good value/added a great perk?

Trying to get the most bang for the buck in the sweltering heat :) Thanks for any tips!

We have always traveled with our two kids in August starting when they each turned 1 year old. Working in mid afternoon breaks at the pool/room for naps has always helped us beat the heat. We have also purchased cooling towels (ours are Frogg Togg but there are others out there) that work really well. For the kids we wet the towel and then put it right in their seat in the stroller-they sit on them the entire time and it's nice because the towels are cool but do not get you wet. We also make sure that we all are drinking enough water! Fluids are important in the sweltering heat. Our last two stays have been at the Contemporary and I agree with the previous post, walk to MK, it's a breeze!! Feel free to ask any other questions, I'm happy to help! :)

Get to the parks early, both to beat the crowds and the heat, and then plan to chill/nap from 1-4 or so. Also, you will sweat and there is no avoiding it. Bring plenty of water and embrace the feeling.
As long as you go in expecting it to be super hot and super crowded, you will walk away pleased when the crowds are lower than expected and when you catch a lucky 85 degree day.

Are your kids interested in the water parks? We are also going in the summer and that is a must do for our kiddos. If it is too hot or the parks are crazy we may find ourselves heading to a water park after a nap instead of a park. We'll see.

Since you have the park hoppers, EPCOT is a great park to head over to at night. There are plenty of dining options and with its size, it doesn't feel quite as hot or crowded (except maybe Friday & Sat. nights - locals !).

Since you have the park hoppers, EPCOT is a great park to head over to at night. There are plenty of dining options and with its size, it doesn't feel quite as hot or crowded (except maybe Friday & Sat. nights - locals !).
And they will have the new nighttime show this summer.

Tons of water , and cooling cloths ! Amazon has packs of 4 for $14.99 that work great !

We also bought Opolar fans that are great - go either early or late to the parks , and don't let the heat scare you ! We go in July every year, and it's been hotter here in NYC !

We've had multiple happy summer trips. Here are my tips:
  • Don't carry water bottles in the park. Instead, buy water on the spot when you need it. Water is heavy, and lugging heavy stuff through the heat of the day will just make you hotter. Keep your bag as light as possible.
  • Wear supportive waterproof sandals (Tevas are great), not tennis shoes or leather shoes. It rains almost every afternoon in summer, and soggy shoes are the worst.
  • Wear sunglasses and a hat with a good brim, to provide some sun protection. If you can find a UV umbrella, those are great, too.
  • Avoid wearing denim, which shrinks when wet and takes forever to dry.
  • Schedule advance FastPasses for outdoor rides for the morning, as that is when it's least likely to rain.
  • Plan to return to your resort midday, when it's hottest and when it's most likely to rain. Then you can return to the parks in the evening, refreshed.

Last edited:
We go in the summer a lot as well as I am a teacher and my kids are in high school and college. We stay at the Beach Club because we love Stormalong Bay and we always spend the afternoon at the pool! My kids are older so we enjoy going to Epcot at night as it doesn't seem as crowded and the dining is amazing so that also makes Beach Club a perk. My kids favorite is Hollywood Studios so they boat over there at night. We always get to a park when it opens and leave the park by 1:00 to head back to the pool. A great tip is to wear a bathing suit top or a sports bra instead of a bra for women as you will sweat right through it. I always wear nike shorts and a workout tank top to stay cool. The Frog Togs are a must as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter