1st time going to Universal in August, help!

ForeverAfter

Mouseketeer
We're an experienced Disney family trying out Universal for the first time! Family of 4, kids will be 7 & 10 who are huge Harry Potter fans. We're flexible with dates, anytime from early August through Labor day when the kids go back to school.

Looking for an recommendations as far as best time to go and where to stay.

Is August usually very busy? Do we need express passes?

Appreciate any help!

I'd pick late August. Southern schools start, crowds die down. When my boys were in school, we went late August as close to Labor Day as possible and even though very hot, manageable crowds. Probably little need for express passes. If you could stay onsite, that would make it a very easy commute to the parks. Deluxe would get you closer to the parks, wonderful amenities and pools(you can pool hop here!) included unlimited express passes. Cabana Bay looks fun and is a good value- has a lazy river pool also!

Agree with later August. You shouldn’t NEED EP, but man they are really worth it. If it works with the budget I’d stay in one of the 3 hotels that provide EPs. Experiencing the park with EPs is awesome even if crowd lines are low.

We're currently looking at Royal Pacific and Cabana Bay. We'd like something very family friendly.

Royal Pacific will get you the unlimited express passes while Cabana Bay will be less expensive but no express passes. You can't go wrong with either. How many days are you planning? Sometimes a longer stay would mean that getting one annual pass would be cost effective. Then you would qualify for annual pass discounts at the resort which can be pretty substantial. August usually has great discounts. Also try the stay more, save more for stays 3 days or more.

We're planning on 5-7 days. We would like some downtime/pool time and also plenty of time to explore the parks (Harry Potter especially) without feeling rushed.

5-7 days is wonderful! When you check hotel rates, the stay more save more (SMSM)will come up if you plug in stays of 3 days or more. Annual pass rates don't come out until later so you won't be able to tell how good that discount is. But you'll get a pretty good discount on that long of a stay with the SMSM. Universal is such a relaxing vacation- not much advance planning needed- and especially so with a long stay! The hotels do have character meals some days. Be sure to check that out if that sounds like something your kids would like. And you don't have to book those too far in advance.

Schools in Georgia, where I live, go back to school first Tuesday in August.
Rest of the state goes back early also.

But, those in the North can have a much later school year start.
Parks can still have crowds in early thru mid August.

Look at the UO calendar for August.
When the parks start to close early, the crowds won't be there.
Usually that is the last week of the month.

When there are less peeps in the parks, earlier closing times will not matter if you go the end of August.

Book your room and start planning the trip!

We have gone in mid to late August for 2 years (3rd coming up!), once for 5 days, second time for 7 days. I think it's invaluable to stay at one of the hotels that give express passes, but it really depends on how often you visit and what the priorities are. I look at it as our family's one vacation a year, and the extra cost of the hotel w/express passes is worth it so that way we don't have to spend half of our vacation standing in line. Those passes will literally save you HOURS on your vacation. Those hours I'd rather be doing something else not wasting my vacation away by waiting in line.

I admit, we at first felt bad for people that had been waiting in line when we walked past them in the queue, but after awhile I just get selfishly happy that we were able to get the express passes. BE SELFISHLY HAPPY, get the express passes.

One way to gauge crowds is the cost of Express Pass. The two park unlimited rates are $149 to the 19th, $119/129 to the 26th, then drops to $99/109 for the last five weekdays. Based on that, the last week is the way to go!

If the onsite hotel rooms fill up, crowds could have more crowds than projected months out

Keep a note of ep prices for your dates.
When you see them start to rise, there will be more peeps in the parks.

EP prices can stay the same or rise.
They never drop the price on them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter