1st Time trip to WDW soon!

bonofreak

<font color=deeppink>Has really cute toes<br><font
We'll be going to WDW for our first ever visit in a couple of weeks. :banana:We used to live in Southern California and have been to countless trips to my beloved Disneyland. :lovestruc I would like some input from those of you "Disneylanders" who have been to WDW. :woohoo:I am very excited to see the differences and to just enjoy the new experience. I am anticipating it to be a lot of fun and yet I also have the feeling that Disneyland will always be #1 in my heart. :thumbsup2 Does anyone have any tips for me? I am an avid planner, :surfweb:I love the planning part and I've been researching this ever since I found out we'll be going. I'd love any input. :) Thanks and I'll let you all know how the trip was when we get back! princess:

Well, I have only been to DLR once, (second trip in May/June) but we've been many times to WDW, and I think if you are a planner you will be in paradise. You will find that it will be much more important to plan your meals ahead of time, especially if you plan on using Disney Dining, as the seats can all be gone just a few days after becoming available. We're not much on the sit-down meals every day, in fact we don't Disney Dining Plan even when it is available. But that's just our preference. A few nice sit-down, but otherwise a lot of counter service.

I would encourage you to stay on property if at all possible. There are many more advantages than at DLR due to the size of the resort and the transporation that is available, if nothing else.

As soon as the calendar becomes available, I would suggest start planning which park you will visit each day. We prefer to visit the parks that have the morning extra magic hour, but some folks avoid them like the plague. But we have found that you can get quite a lot done in that one hour before the parks open to the general public. Of course, if you are visiting when crowd levels are low then you may not find the need to use the extra magic hours every day--or you just may not be a morning person.

Read, read, read the boards. There are LOTS of great suggestions and the trip can seem to be overwhelming as you have to do so much more planning months in advance. Subsequent trips will not need such detail work. But as you mentioned you like to plan, I find that is a lot of the fun and helps fill the void until the trip.

Anyway, these are just a very, very few tips. Have fun planning and vacationing at WDW. It's our "home" resort--but have found DLR to have a special glow as well. They are both Disney!

We'll be going to WDW for our first ever visit in a couple of weeks. :banana:We used to live in Southern California and have been to countless trips to my beloved Disneyland. :lovestruc I would like some input from those of you "Disneylanders" who have been to WDW. :woohoo:I am very excited to see the differences and to just enjoy the new experience. I am anticipating it to be a lot of fun and yet I also have the feeling that Disneyland will always be #1 in my heart. :thumbsup2 Does anyone have any tips for me? I am an avid planner, :surfweb:I love the planning part and I've been researching this ever since I found out we'll be going. I'd love any input. :) Thanks and I'll let you all know how the trip was when we get back! princess:

I'm sure you have most things already planned. Hotel, ADRs and schedules.

Try to avoid going back in the middle of the day if you can. If you hop though it might be nice to grab a shirt for the night. But the buses take a good chunk of time so if you can just go park to park instead of park to resort to park it will help.

Expect to walk a lot because attractions are spread out where as in DLR they are packed together in out two small parks.

Enjoy the shows. A lot more attractions there are shows than in the land.

Ask anything you want I'll probably see it to give you an answer.

You too!! There are a few of us making thier 1st trips soon. Ours is this October. When are you going? How many are in your group/ages? It would be interesting to see different prespectives. I'm sure you'll have a great time:thumbsup2:cool1:

Thanks, everyone! We're going this month, my DH and our grandson who is 9 and I. :grouphug: We'll be staying onsite. I am a dog fanatic :lovestruc (Dalmatians are my faves and I have 2) so I am really looking forward to taking pictures of the giant Pongo (I had a real Pongo, too! ) :thumbsup2

We're not planning any special restaurants, but I'm looking into all the shows and parades. I'm really looking forward to seeing the similarities/differences. :cheer2: Yes, anything Disney and I'm pretty happy! popcorn:: Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to post on here my thoughts when we get back! :cutie:

You too!! There are a few of us making thier 1st trips soon. Ours is this October. When are you going? How many are in your group/ages? It would be interesting to see different prespectives. I'm sure you'll have a great time:thumbsup2:cool1:

We've made several trips in October. In fact, it's our favorite time to go as the water parks are still in operation, warm temps, MNSSHP. You'll have a great time!

Thanks, everyone! We're going this month, my DH and our grandson who is 9 and I. :grouphug: We'll be staying onsite. I am a dog fanatic :lovestruc (Dalmatians are my faves and I have 2) so I am really looking forward to taking pictures of the giant Pongo (I had a real Pongo, too! ) :thumbsup2

We're not planning any special restaurants, but I'm looking into all the shows and parades. I'm really looking forward to seeing the similarities/differences. :cheer2: Yes, anything Disney and I'm pretty happy! popcorn:: Thanks for the help, I'll be sure to post on here my thoughts when we get back! :cutie:

Are you staying at ASmovies? That should be cool. Enjoy taking some time to wander your resort. If you feel you have more time try looking at a couple of the monorail resort or the ones around cresent lake, out the side exit of Epcot(international gateway). Maybe stop in one for a meal.

You will be walking alot. We figured we walked about 7-10 miles each day. The parks are really large and it is so spaced out. Not only is there walking inside the parks but you have to figure in that you have to walk to the busses and then at your resort.

Now for the fun....

Epcot is awesome. Splash Mountain at WDW is much better in my opinion. Big Thunder seems longer at WDW. Pirates is much shorter. How many days are you staying? What plans do you already have? Are you visiting all the parks? Any days off factored in during your stay? You can parasail, take out the searacers on seven seas lagoon. Have a great time.

Yes, we are staying at the "movies" resort. We'll be going to all 3 parks, we'll be there 3 days; plus an additional day for the drive. We'll be going to Downtown Disney that night for shopping and dinner.

Wow, THAT much walking, KC Mike? Wowzers! :eek: Thank goodness this Grandma uses Wii Fit and the treadmill, huh?!!! :cool1: All the other things you mentioned like parasailing, etc. sound so fun, we'll have to add those in next visit. ;)

Thanks so much everyone for your input! :grouphug: I'm getting more and more excited each day. I know Disneyland like the back of my hand, so this will be a whole new experience. My DD and son-in-law really loved Epcot and say we'll enjoy that a lot. I'll be sure to let you all know my thoughts when we get back! :)

Yes, we are staying at the "movies" resort. We'll be going to all 3 parks, we'll be there 3 days; plus an additional day for the drive. We'll be going to Downtown Disney that night for shopping and dinner.

Wow, THAT much walking, KC Mike? Wowzers! :eek: Thank goodness this Grandma uses Wii Fit and the treadmill, huh?!!! :cool1: All the other things you mentioned like parasailing, etc. sound so fun, we'll have to add those in next visit. ;)

Thanks so much everyone for your input! :grouphug: I'm getting more and more excited each day. I know Disneyland like the back of my hand, so this will be a whole new experience. My DD and son-in-law really loved Epcot and say we'll enjoy that a lot. I'll be sure to let you all know my thoughts when we get back! :)

Unless something in DTD looks great to eat at I'd consider eating at one of the resorts. Not ASM but one of the delux resorts.

Also if you have a MYW package. You'll get a coupon for water sports. I foget the details it was something like half off the second half hour. If you have DGS with you the SeaRaycers are real fun. They can only carry two people at a time but, go pretty quick. I rented one last trip which was abouta year ago and me and DS covered the whole seven seas lagoon and bay lake in about 35 minutes. It was windy so I wasn't going real fast either. Got some good pictures of the resorts and the MK from the water.

You could rent one at DTD but the seven seas lagoon is much more fun. Each resort that is on water has a dock.

I wrote this up a couple years ago:

"An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

We loved our time at WDW. There is so much to do there!

Have a magical time! :wizard:

Lots of good info above. Interestingly.....if i only had 3 days (& loving DLR as much as i do).....I'd probably skip the Magic Kingdom (in favor of the other 3 parks).

Also.....if it was me, I'd plan (reserve) at least ONE (or two) meals ahead of time. (i like late afternoon) Two great kid friendly spots would be Ohana at the Poly or 50s Prime Time Diner at the Studios. (I also love the Brown Derby in Studios.) But if you don't make reservations, you might not be able to enjoy a special meal at anywhere except Counter Service.

Here were some opinions i offered when when a fellow dis'er asked for some WDW info last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariezp
.......I am going to see if I can talk my DD into practicing the "split method" of eating our way through the park. Only difference might be that we could use it to our advantage to try a little of this and a little of that rather than several rounds of corn dogs.... not that there wouldn't be one of those in there too! And, we would have to substitute several selections of sweets for the jalapeno treats to go easy on my delicate stomach. The sweets would go over very well with DD and probably be the only way she could ever achieve the goal of making it in the park for 13 hours. She's not anywhere near the trooper that Alec appears to be.

I'd like to ask you a favor.... you see, my oldest son has the bright idea of thinking that we might want to check out WDW for a week but I am inclined to have my doubts as to whether we would enjoy it nearly as much as DL. The thought of trying to decide where to start is enough to give me a headache and then thinking about the hassle of trying to get around the parks are nearly enough to keep me from even considering it. Now after having read some of your comments I am thinking sticking w/DL would still be our best bet. As an obvious DL lover could you please share your impression of what you thought of WDW?

Response from Hound:

I'm a DLR lover for a number of reasons:

- The original.
- Family in LA.
- I like 1-3 days at the parks. (2-3 times a year)

& lots of other reasons.

DLR fits into the way i like to tour & the way I'm able to vacation.....BUT....

....WDW is GREAT. In a perfect world, I'd visit WDW every 3-4 disney trips. (& i know nothing about the out of country resorts....but would probably love those too.)

If i had a week for vacations....& had never been to WDW I would definitely do it. But with the following thoughts:

- Off Season....definitely off season.
- Maybe during the free food time (September?)
- NOT during the summer (it's Houston Humid AND crowded).
- NOT during spring break....crowded.

- Look at the park visits as segments as opposed to days. One or two segments per day.....& zig when others are zagging.
- Break up the segments with pool breaks & rest.
- Skip a morning or evening "segment" every 2-3 days with a water park or DTD/Boardwalk visit. WDW really does a good job with the all emcompassing immersion thing.
- If you're cool with Harbor Blvd. motels, you'll be cool with the value resorts. We liked the mods (for a few dollars more than the values) & but could never justify the price for the deluxes...but that's us.

I can see why alot of folks prefer WDW over DLR, but they're not me....but you actually may be a real good fit for WDW (given the way you all like to vacation for 7+ days).

Hope that helps. Have a great time. :thumbsup2

:)

Awwww, you guys are all being so helpful and that does not surprise me! I knew you would be! :worship: Thank you, everyone, I am really enjoying reading all of the input! You are wonderful! :thumbsup2

Hope you have a great time. Since you have only three days, you won't be able to see everything.

Animal Kingdom: Make sure to see Lion King and Nemo. Tough to be a Bug is the same show at DL. If the 9yr does Kali Rapids Ride, go stand on the bridge with the 1yr. There are buttons to push that cause the Elephants to spray water at sibling. Since this park closes early every day, head over to Studios to see Fantasmic (must see and is different from DL version). Improvement from DL there is seating for everyone and not a bad view from anywhere.

Epcot: Soarin que is interactive while you wait in line. Definetly do Space Ship Earth. The Journey into Your Imagination ride empties into an interactive space for kids. We also go over to the green screen and have family photo taken. You select the background and your photo is superimposed into it. The kidcot station are fun if you have the time.

MK: Country Bears is available. Tiki has been ruined (go at own risk), Carousel of Progress and Micky Philharmagic are a must. All of the shops on Main Street are connected together until you cross the street (great to beat the heat or get through the crowds).

Forgot to add on Epcot: Test which way the wind is blowing during Illuminations or you could end up with a face full of smoke from the fireworks.

Forgot to add on Epcot: Test which way the wind is blowing during Illuminations or you could end up with a face full of smoke from the fireworks.

Now that's the kind of advice that is really appreciated and where else would I have read such things? :confused3 Thanks!!! :thumbsup2

We are back from our trip to WDW. My DH and I with our grandson who is 9. We stayed at the Movies resort. I just had to get pictures of the giant Pongo and Perdie since I am a Dalmatian fanatic and have two of my own! Disney World is big! We did so much walking, but it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. I do use my treadmill, so maybe that helped! We did MK, Epcot and Hollywood Studios and used the bus service. That turned out very well, we made the rope drop each day and found the crowds to be all right in the mornings and the late afternoons, they seemed to be crowded at lunch time, but we were able to go on everything and never wound up waiting very long for much. We used the FP and even walked right on the first 4 rides; Big Thunder, Splash M. the Haunted M. and the Pirates.

We were very happy to see some of our old faves that are no longer at Disneyland; the People Mover, the Carousel of Progress and the Country Bears (My DH and I grew up in L.A. county and took more trips to Disneyland than we can count; my first was in my stroller) so I was interested to see the differences in Disneyland and WDW. I am happy to report my opinion is that they are both lots of fun, both beautiful, and both exciting and I will be going back to both (Disneyland in September!)

There are a few "better" rides here than there; such as the Pirates in my opinion are "better" in Ca. and I enjoyed the Jungle Cruise "better" in Florida, but overall, Disney is Disney and I'm so glad we were able to see WDW for the first time. I missed some things, like the Matterhorn and Mr. Toad! But honestly, I can have loads of fun in Ca. or Florida!

Once again, thanks to everyone who gave advice and opinions. It was a lot of fun!

The International Gateway Bridge between England and France is a great place to watch Illuminations. Unless it is super windy, you usually won't have that problem.

Being a WDW vet many times over, I think you will love it! I know everyone gets caught up in comparing them, but try not to. I love both equally. Currently, I am working on becoming a DLR vet.

Also, HydroGuy, you are like our ROBO for WDW. Really good information is given. Also, we no longer have Spectromagic as the nighttime parade at MK. It has been changed to the MSEP. On dining, you can go on the WDW website and book your reservations. If you are staying onsite, you can link your dining to your resort reservations 180 days +10 (10 extra days before offsite guests). Plus, you get a confirmation number for your dining reservation. Unlike DLR, who does not give you one. It's funny how well it works at DLR without one.

The EMH's at WDW are fantastic. If you can stay up later for the evening EMH's, the parks can be open as late as 3:00 a.m. for resort guests. I can never stay up that late. The only non-Disney hotel with EMH's is the Hilton across from DTD.

I have found pin trading to be much bigger at WDW. Quite the obsession, myself included. I love trading with the CM's at WDW.

There is not preferred seating at the theater shows like at the Aladdin show. I really loved that at DLR. Although you can pay for the dinner packages at Fantasmic, Illuminations, etc.

WDW is spread out more. It is a lot of walking, but so much fun. Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter