1st try at Etching

Nutz4Dizney

DIS Veteran
I finally ventured into the etching scene.
I am so sick of buying buying buying buying (you get the point) for teachers, aunts, uncles, friends etc....
So this year I went to the Dollar store to see what kind of glass stuff they had. I fell in love with this "candle" holder"
I am using H because it's my last name (this is my prototype). I am making sets of these with everyones last initial. I will add candles and maybe some ribbon not sure just yet.

I am a HUGE Disney fan and just got back from there so I'm still in my Disney mood LOL
Here's what I came up with!! (This is my first try and after coming out of the hospital Sunday and still sick I think I did pretty good LOL)

FRONT
2151064080079946734S500x500Q85.jpg

i love your project. will you please post how you did this. what did you use for the mickey icon thanks

thank you

items used
cricut machine
cricut cartridge Mickey Font
vinyl
etching cream (I found it at michaels)
glasses
gloves

clean glasses
place vinyl on cutting mat
place cart in cricut
I used the H inside a Mickey head for the inital icon
I used 3 different sizes for the solid icons
cut vinyl
stick the vinyl on your glass where you choose. make sure you have the vinyl smooth and tight. make sure there are no wrinkles so the etching cream does not get under the vinyl.
put on both your gloves - only use 1 hand for etching cream and the other hand to hold the item
open etching cream and spread it on THICK all over the place
let sit for 25 minutes (bottle says 30 seconds but I wanted to make sure it took LOL)
scrape as much as you can off the glass and put back in bottle (it is reusable)
now rinse glass off and dry
peel off vinyl and BAMM something nice

If you look at my first photo you will see in the H there is a little mess. I touched the etching cream with my hand then stuck it in the glass so that is why I say only use 1 hand for etching cream and other hand inside item as a holder. Move the glass around with "etching cream" hand so you dont make a mess like I did.

I hope this helps. Once you get the hang of it you will find that it is easy.

the is another way to do this too. Its just etching a word or icon onto something but I can't explain that one yet till i try it LOL

thanks again ladies

Wow what a great idea. your candle holder looks beautiful! Can't wait to try this myself!

Thank you

SOrry I was typing like you guys were 2 but I had them typed out already for someone that needed detail to detail of what I did (she's not very crafty lol) so I just copied and pasted those here LOL

Very nice. They will make nice gifts.

I etched the glass to my dining room hutch and it looks nice.

I hope you are feeling better. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter