2 Adults, No Kids - 2 Nights Enough?

thelittledipster

Earning My Ears
My current plan is to do 6 nights in Maui and then island hop over to Aulani. Because of that, I can hopefully be to Aulani by noon, then have two nights there, and a 3pm flight home.

Given that we’ll already have had 6 nights of Hawaii, we’re adults with no kids, and we’re not going to leave the resort… think 2 nights is enough? I’m debating 3, but other than food, I’m not sure I need it. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Just did 4 nights, 4 adults but we got there at 10am and departed 9pm. We did tour the island though. 2 nights is doable if you are not leaving the resort but after the first nights sleep you have to start thinking of packing the next night and I hate that feeling. but 3 nights would be a real vacation feeling.

I would really try to do 3 nights, since otherwise you'll only have 1 full day and I don't think that would be enough time to relax and settle in. You can do most of the activities Aulani offers in 2 nights, but it won't leave you with much free time.

Have you all been to Oahu before? If not, I’d highly recommend doing three nights and leaving the resort one day, if for nothing else than Pearl Harbor. I’d personally do half a day there and half a day at Hanauma Bay, but sone would recommend the north shore instead.

But yes, if you really can only swing two nights, you can soak up most of the resort in two full days.

Have you all been to Oahu before? If not, I’d highly recommend doing three nights and leaving the resort one day, if for nothing else than Pearl Harbor. I’d personally do half a day there and half a day at Hanauma Bay, but sone would recommend the north shore instead.

But yes, if you really can only swing two nights, you can soak up most of the resort in two full days.
Although the North Shore is nice, we prefer our visits to Hanauma Bay as well.

I love Aulani more than just about any place in the world, but I wouldn't island hop with less than two weeks. If you have the time and/or budget for an 8 night vacation and you mostly want to do Maui, I would do 8 nights on Maui.

I love Aulani more than just about any place in the world, but I wouldn't island hop with less than two weeks. If you have the time and/or budget for an 8 night vacation and you mostly want to do Maui, I would do 8 nights on Maui.
Personally I would finish at Aulani so that I would not have to over pack and be able to use the laundry in the villas :)

If you're not leaving the resort, 2 nights will be fine. But if you're going to leave the resort and want to explore the island, I would suggest doing 4 at the bare minimum, if not more.

What's the best way to get to Aulani from the airport? Do I have to rent a car? We'll be going on the 13-day DCL Cruise from Honolulu to Sydney and I'm not sure if I want to try and stay at Aulani for a couple of days or just at a hotel near the airport or port.

What's the best way to get to Aulani from the airport? Do I have to rent a car? We'll be going on the 13-day DCL Cruise from Honolulu to Sydney and I'm not sure if I want to try and stay at Aulani for a couple of days or just at a hotel near the airport or port.
If you're going to rent a car, I've used Turo to get good deals rather than going with a traditional car rental company. Lots of people have Jeeps on there that are fun to explore the island with.

You can book a transfer through Aulani from the airport to Aulani, or take a taxi (or prebook a taxi for airport pick up to Aulani). DCL also normally offers transfers from Aulani to and from the cruise terminal in Honolulu (for a fee) anytime they have offered a Hawaiian cruise. I expect this cruise would be no different. Also a taxi service to the port is another option. It's about a 30 minute drive. You can generally pre-book a taxi as well with many companies.

My current plan is to do 6 nights in Maui and then island hop over to Aulani. Because of that, I can hopefully be to Aulani by noon, then have two nights there, and a 3pm flight home.

Given that we’ll already have had 6 nights of Hawaii, we’re adults with no kids, and we’re not going to leave the resort… think 2 nights is enough? I’m debating 3, but other than food, I’m not sure I need it. Help would be greatly appreciated!

First I completely understand that if this is your one and only chance to get to Hawaii that you want to add Aulani on, and I think for whatever nights you can, you should. It's an amazing place. I recently did 3 nights and it was great. I was able to get a good feel for the resort, and do my highlights, but I did not "do" everything and there wasn't much lazing about.

Here are a few things to consider. If you arrive at noon you may or may not be able to check into your room (check in is at 3pm I believe). That means you will have luggage to deal with. I was able to give my large bags over to the luggage services (bell hop) but chose to keep my carry on bag with me. In the past they have offered a luggage storage/shower/lounge room for early check in/check out guest but on my trip this was not offered. So keep this in mind in your planning. I arrived early in the morning (which is allowed) and we switched off bag watching so people could go swim until we got our room at 3pm.

Second, even with a 3pm flight on your last day, you will be leaving for the airport several hours ahead to deal with travel time (35 mins aprox) to the airport, security (long lines can be really common) and arriving the suggested 2 hours ahead. Meaning you may be leaving the resort around 12:00pm and maybe starting the "leaving process" (final shower to get off all the sand, pack the bags, check out etc) around 11:00am.

That really means your 2 nights could end up being 2 half days and one full. Is that enough? That totally depends on what your goal is. Do you have to ride all the slides, float the lazy river, snorkel, do the entire menehune trail, visit the spa, eat at all the restaurants at the resort and have time to visit coffee shop across the street? Also don't forget depending on what day of the week you visit many things are not offered (such as the Lua only being on 3 nights most weeks or the story telling only being a few nights a week) and depending on the activity schedule extending a third night may get you there on say a Tuesday night in order to see the Lua is thats important.

I know I just tossed out a lot of thoughts. I'm happy to answer any follow up questions.

Bottom line, if the idea of Aulani and what it has to offer appeals to you, go for as many days as you can work into your schedule. If Aulani only looks "ok" to you, but you want to try it and check it off your bucket list, 2 days will give you a taste to see if it's for you or not but will not allow you to experience everything.

From the East coast and crossing 6 time zones, the minimum time I suggest for Hawaii is about 2 weeks. With only 6 days in Hawaii, your body will finally recover from jetlag, before being put out of sync with the return fights.

If you're on West coast time, you can stay shorter because less time zones crossed.

Hawaii is not like Disney World where there is no time change from the East Coast!

-Paul

From the East coast and crossing 6 time zones, the minimum time I suggest for Hawaii is about 2 weeks. With only 6 days in Hawaii, your body will finally recover from jetlag, before being put out of sync with the return fights.

If you're on West coast time, you can stay shorter because less time zones crossed.

Hawaii is not like Disney World where there is no time change from the East Coast!

-Paul
Jetlag seems to hit people differently. I'm from the East Coast and am okay with Hawaii/Aulani for a one-week stay. I don't island hop, and I'm more physically active on WDW trips than on Aulani trips. I'm also far more fatigued on WDW trips over Aulani. Therefore, I can handle the 1-2 night sleep disruptions at the beginning of the trip without ruining it. Also, on my return trip home, it might take me an extra night to recover from an Aulani trip over a WDW trip.

Sometimes we only do 2 nights after we’ve already visited another island for a week. In that case we don’t leave Aulani. We arrive early morning, check our bags with the valet and jump right in. The last day we fly out late at night. So we still get 3 full days. And because we spent time driving around exploring on another island we just want to relax before we go home. It’s great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter