2 Autograph Books questions

ScrappinGran

DIS Veteran
HI everyone,
I am so gald to have found this thread.You are all so creative! I have a question. I have made 2 autograph books for my 2 grandkids..ages 8 and 5. The books are altered sketchbooks..about 8and 1/2" by 6", spiral bound.
My first question is how can the kids carry them around the parks? They will each have kid sized waist packs...but these are too large for waist packs (mine included). I do have a lot of character dinner ADRS...maybe they should just use the books at the dinners?( but I foresee..."Wow...Buzz Lightyear is here, can we get his autograph" scenarios in the parks)
My DH and I were hoping to get by on waist packs only. I did see a Nike "pouch" type backpack...simple...light...but I dunno..really wanted to pack light while we are at the parks. Any ideas?
Next question is..I want to coat the altered covers with something to protect the paper. I have Modge Podge and Diamond Glaze. My experience with Modge Podge is that is can sometimes be tacky...and I am worried about the heat we will encounter in the parks. I have never even opened the little bottle of Diamond Glaze. What can I use to protect the cover? How many coats of "whatever" do you do? HELP!!!

Good Morning and :welcome:

I don't have any ideas for you, but I know alot of amazing women here will probably come to your resuce! :goodvibes

Welcome Srappingran. I would think you are going to have to carry a larger backpack so they can take them in the parks. They are not going to want to carry them--they could lay them down somewhere and lose them.
I did an altered recipe book for a wedding shower. I had never had very good luck with modge podge--so I covered the book covers with clear contact paper. In order to hide the back side of the covers, I glued a pretty piece of cardstock. This makes it easy to wipe the book off if something spills. You could use the same technique.
HTH
Deb

We used a small backpack to carry our autograph book, clipboard and sharpies and put everything in a ziploc bag to keep it dry.

I wouldn't use modge podge as the pages will have a tendency to stick together. Diamond glaze I am not sure. I have never used it on a whole page before, just on small items. You would need quite a bit of it though to cover whole pages, even 6x8. The contact paper sounds similar to lamination and unless all the paper is acid free I wouldn't do that. I would look online for some sort of page protector for 6x8 spiral bound albums. I know I have seen them somewhere but not sure where offhand.

I heard another girl on this board has a great idea for bigger books.. Why not cut out large tags or index size pieces of paper, and carry those in a bag with a pen instead of lugging around the book itself? Then after when they get back to the hotel room, they can glue the tag/index card to the page of their book? Seems like it would be alot easier then carrying around a large book?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter