2 Factor Authentication

What I'd like to know is how they are going to deal with 2 people logging into the account. Currently only I have the account. Is it possible to have 2 logins to reference the same contracts? If not, they need to allow 2 cell phones, and 2 emails to be added into the profile.

John
My wife and I both have our own log ins that can use all of our jointly owned points.

Now from a practical standpoint we just use my account.

Banks, etc do not have systems that foster multiple log-in's per day (stalking for availability), and their websites are (in my experience w/my banks anyway) nowhere near as glitchy/unreliable as Disney's. So yes, this is a Disney (DVC) bad....

Banks, etc do not have systems that foster multiple log-in's per day (stalking for availability), and their websites are (in my experience w/my banks anyway) nowhere near as glitchy/unreliable as Disney's. So yes, this is a Disney (DVC) bad....
I guess if you're one of the ones who seem to perpetually have trouble with the DVC website then maybe it's a potential problem. Many of us don't. And, it's not the system that foster's the multiple log ins, it's the unique behavioral patterns of the users (stalking). Forcing a resale owner to contact MS just to borrow points is the system and a real problem. Someone deciding that they need to log in 50 times a day just so they can get a specific room on a specific date (particularly when other rooms are available) is not.

I HATE this verification process. I'm currently stalking for a missing night on a reservation....I log in multiple times each day (some days as many as 10-12 times)....so the extra step is more than merely annoying. The list of things to hate about DVC/Disney is growing. It makes me very sad. I do not "buy" the excuse they're using (protecting account safety)...ugh and argh.
Exactly. I think I logged in probably 10-15 times today and had my son doing it too. We are stalking for a missing day too. He checks for me while I’m at work. He wouldn’t be able to do it anymore if it sends a code to my phone.

Exactly. I think I logged in probably 10-15 times today and had my son doing it too. We are stalking for a missing day too. He checks for me while I’m at work. He wouldn’t be able to do it anymore if it sends a code to my phone.
Don’t worry you will probably have more luck than me trying to track down if I left my phone in the car or somewhere in the house before the code expires.

Hopefully it will be email as @ford family suggested

I must be in the minority but I actually think enhanced security of the site and login process is a good thing and frankly long overdue.
I 100% agree. This is not a bad thing. 2 factor authentication is a protection not JUST for Disney. If a bad actor can access that account they have a much better chance of accessing other accounts using that email. This is a good step on Disney’s part.

What a mess. DVC can't run the website they have now. This is going to be a disaster.

Someone deciding that they need to log in 50 times a day just so they can get a specific room on a specific date (particularly when other rooms are available) is not.

This is a website that should care less if 20% of members are logging in 50 times a day. That should be no issue at all. They care about themselves, not you. They are trying to put up hurdles to stop you from paying someone to stalk or running a script to book (or check availability).

I guess I think that's good? But I don't have high hopes for implementation.

I’m all for 2FA, I just wish they’d provide an Authenticator app option so that I can manage all my 2FA in one place. Those also instantaneously generate codes so you don’t have to wait for a text or email.

I'm totally good with it being if you sign in from a new device / browser you need to do two factor -- but if I'm signing in from the same browser and not emptying cache, cookies, etc. it is overkill.

Which can be stolen and used by someone to show they are you. Yes less likely but actual 2FA is fairly painless and pretty much all organizations should be moving to it for logins.

They are trying to put up hurdles to stop you from paying someone to stalk or running a script to book (or check availability).

I am good with them stopping all of that. They have associate members you can give access to so its not like you couldn't make a parent or kid have access to your account if you need the help.

This also prevents people from turning over their credentials to someone else because they are trying to rent points.

I'd rather the website figure out how to actually book things and handle points before it keeps adding features. Seems like core functionality would be a good place to start. You know, a website that works for the purpose for which it was designed.

I care more about that than a few people running some bots.

I wasted an hour on the phone and everyone's dues last night when the system changed my reservation to "cash," deleted everyone and ate the points.

2FA sounds good when looking to protect the security of a website and there must be a pretty good reason Disney is adding it that may or may not be public knowledge.

Although this will slow down users and I personally will not like it, it should increase security for the DVC website, even though that may be invisible to members.

On the other hand, this is not a free technology and DVC needs to pay for this service (ie members will have to pay for it).

Perhaps it is designed to knock out the bots and websites that show DVC availability, or something else, but it would be nice to be able to optin or optout for members that do not want this feature and Disney could monitor those accounts for abuse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter