2 Kids text positive on Royal- Family Disembarked-Cruise Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or that the tests aren't 100% accurate. Either one is a possibility.
Or that "testing positive" means something different in a post-vaccination world. Testing positive on cruise ships was scary in 2020 because they don't have ventilators for the very ill and the virus can easily spread like wildfire to many of the crew and guests onboard. With vaccines, severe cases are pretty much impossible and vaccinated guests are resistant to it spreading. So 2 cases on a ship of thousands is basically a non-event.

Or that "testing positive" means something different in a post-vaccination world. Testing positive on cruise ships was scary in 2020 because they don't have ventilators for the very ill and the virus can easily spread like wildfire to many of the crew and guests onboard. With vaccines, severe cases are pretty much impossible and vaccinated guests are resistant to it spreading. So 2 cases on a ship of thousands is basically a non-event.
Agreed, except that it's a pretty significant problem for the family who had to charter a private plane to get home. This kind of thing makes me afraid to cruise. Not Covid (which is already everywhere, especially at my job, & we're both already vaccinated), but the possibility of getting stranded away from home. I'm disappointed that the ship didn't just quarantine them. Who paid for that flight? Travel insurance? Most people aren't rich & wouldn't be able to afford a private plane.

Last edited:
They just had another cruise with 2 adults that tested positive. The whole cruise was vaccinated so it sounds like to me, It’s impossible to keep COVID away.
The first cruise has 2 vaccinated adults test positive. On the second cruise, it was 2 UN-vaccinated teenagers under 16 that tested positive.

Agreed, except that it's a pretty significant problem for the family who had to charter a private plane to get home. This kind of thing makes me afraid to cruise. Not Covid (which is already everywhere, especially at my job, & we're both already vaccinated), but the possibility of getting stranded away from home. I'm disappointed that the ship didn't just quarantine them. Who paid for that flight? Travel insurance? Most people aren't rich & wouldn't be able to afford that.
RC is very upfront about plans for covid positive passengers. They strongly suggest travel insurance that includes covid coverage.
There is a lot of info on their policies here.
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/sgp/en/royal-promise?country=SGP

RC is very upfront about plans for covid positive passengers. They strongly suggest travel insurance that includes covid coverage.
I meant most couldn't afford a private plane. Travel insurance is a necessity when cruising imo. I just wasn't sure if insurance would pay for that, as it doesn't sound like an emergency health situation (1 asymptomatic & another with mild symptoms).

The delta variant is proving to be different. People vaccinated with mRNA vaccines are getting the delta variant and showing symptoms. Not very many though and hospitalization is uncommon. mRNA vaccinated people are spreading the delta variant too. It's still small numbers, but the mRNA is not as effective against delta as it is against the primary variant in the US, alpha. The delta variant is doubling in occurrence every two weeks right now.

EDIT: Nothing has said that the kids tested positive for the delta variant, but it is spreading pretty fast in Florida right now.

I meant most couldn't afford a private plane. Travel insurance is a necessity when cruising imo. I just wasn't sure if insurance would pay for that, as it doesn't sound like an emergency health situation (1 asymptomatic & another with mild symptoms).
I think travel insurance with covid coverage is expected. I'd read policies carefully. I would not assume they would allow folks to quarantine on ship. (Maybe they will, maybe they won't.)

This is from the RC link in my post.

"If you test positive for COVID-19 while onboard, Royal Caribbean will provide onboard medical treatment, land-based quarantine if required, and travel home for you and your traveling party, as well as confirmed close contacts. We strongly advise you to purchase adequate travel insurance that covers costs and expenses related to COVID-19."

Last edited:
This is from the RC link in my post.

"If you test positive for COVID-19 while onboard, Royal Caribbean will provide onboard medical treatment, land-based quarantine if required, and travel home for you and your traveling party, as well as confirmed close contacts. We strongly advise you to purchase adequate travel insurance that covers costs and expenses related to COVID-19."
It sounds like Royal paid for the flight home, then.

So we have a Disney cruise booked next year and will have a 1 year old and 3 year old who cannot be vaccinated does that mean if on day 2 one is tested positive we will be kicked off the cruise with no refund and have to make arrangements to fly home?

So we have a Disney cruise booked next year and will have a 1 year old and 3 year old who cannot be vaccinated does that mean if on day 2 one is tested positive we will be kicked off the cruise with no refund and have to make arrangements to fly home?
They haven't yet told anyone what their policies for fall sailings will be. No one knows. That's one thing that's making those of us with fall cruises nervous. One good thing is that Florida won the initial part of its court case against the CDC, so it seems unlikely that rules will be as strict in the fall as they are now.

Disney hasn't said what their policy will be. I booked insurance through DCL for our 2022 cruise, but I don't think we'll hear from DCL what the actual policy will be until they announce an actual return to sailing from the U.S. (UK staycations don't help, as there is no international travel involved there and no CDC).

Agreed, except that it's a pretty significant problem for the family who had to charter a private plane to get home. This kind of thing makes me afraid to cruise. Not Covid (which is already everywhere, especially at my job, & we're both already vaccinated), but the possibility of getting stranded away from home. I'm disappointed that the ship didn't just quarantine them. Who paid for that flight? Travel insurance? Most people aren't rich & wouldn't be able to afford a private plane.

That is what trip insurance is for. People buy it for all the wrong reasons. They think that it is important to get their money back for things like the flight, but that is inconsequential compared to a medical emergency. When I leave the Country(like on a cruise) I always buy trip insurance through Allianz Global and get the plan that covers emergency medical evac back to the States and medical costs, usually up to at least a half a million. I couldn't care less about getting my money back for the trip since I already consider that money gone. Allianz is very reasonably priced and kids under 18 are free with their parent's plan.

Last edited:
That is what trip insurance is for. People buy it for all the wrong reasons. They think that it is important to get their money back for things like the flight, but that is inconsequential compared to a medical emergency. When I leave the Country(like on a cruise) I always buy trip insurance through Allianz Global and get the plan that covers emergency medical evac back to the States and medical costs, usually up to at least a half a million. I could care less about getting my money back for the trip since I already consider that money gone. Allianz is very reasonably priced and kids under 18 are free with their parent's plan.
insure my trip dot com where on can compare the policies. And most important the exclusions. Surprising that they are Including Covid coverages , if they actually are. Thx for posting!

Best answer written. I’m vaccinated. Not worried. Unvaccinated know the risks and that’s on them. I don’t care if I travel with them.

Last edited:

The Twitter screenshot said it was arranged by RCL (though, admittedly, that doesn't mean RCL paid for it).

The Twitter screenshot said it was arranged by RCL (though, admittedly, that doesn't mean RCL paid for it).
I think that would mean they paid for it. Hard to imagine the bad PR Royal would get if they said, "Here's your private flight home that we arranged for you. A bill for $100,000 will be waiting when you get to your house." That would pretty much scare anyone off from cruising with them in the near future.

I think that would mean they paid for it. Hard to imagine the bad PR Royal would get if they said, "Here's your private flight home that we arranged for you. A bill for $100,000 will be waiting when you get to your house." That would pretty much scare anyone off from cruising with them in the near future.

Agreed. Just figured that someone would point out that it didn’t explicitly state that they had paid, so thought I‘d point that out first :)

RCL paid for the flight. Everyone had to be tested before returning home. The concern I have is what happens on a 7 night or longer cruise? They will test mid cruise and it is almost a given that people will be sent home. Perhaps by then there will be no need for mod cruise testing

RCL paid for the flight. Everyone had to be tested before returning home. The concern I have is what happens on a 7 night or longer cruise? They will test mid cruise and it is almost a given that people will be sent home. Perhaps by then there will be no need for mod cruise testing
Yeah, I don't see week-long cruises returning until after they no longer need to follow these harsh CDC rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter