2 way radios

Bill K

DVC Member / Animal Kingdom
Since we visit WDW and other parks on a regular basis, we are concidering buying 2 way radios.
Does anybody have any recommendations, and do they work? I don't want to purchase them and hear a lot of static.
I have used my brother in laws professional radios, they worked great but they are way to bulky for a family on the go!!
Any help would be appreciated.
Leaving for WDW in 13 days!!! :bounce: :bounce:

with our family, at least, we bring them and end up not using them. static is not an issue, unless the radios are far away from each other. the biggest problem i encountered while using these is that since tons of families own them, the channels get full quickly and can interrupt your conversation. you said you visit other parks regularly too, so it might be a good idea to buy them, but for others who would only use them on occasional trips to wdw, it might be cheaper to rent. i'm not sure though, since i don't know the cost of rental.

I bought a pair of Cobra MicroTalk1's when they 1st came out. (at that time the pair cost us $50 on sale) They only have 2 channels. DH & I took them to WDW last year and used them mostly around PO resort and on they Disney Wonder while sailing. We didn't us them in the parks because we are seldom away from each other. So for our needs they worked great! Now, for this year's trip I'm taking my mom and aunt so I wanted another one in case we're seperated while they take a smoke break. (DH & I don't smoke) I bought a Uniden ecotrek for $19.00 at my local Walmart. It has all 14 channels and 38 subchannels and it works with the 2 I already have. I would expect it to "fill up" during busy times, maybe not so bad during off seasons. But they are clear to listen to and certainly better than taking a risk on losing someone.

Good luck with your decision,
Cheryl :bounce:

also DH & I use them when backing our travel trailer (so there's no wild flailing of arms) and when we go to the mall or factory outlets so we don't get stuck looking in stores we don't care about.

I picked up the Talkabout 250 from Motorola for last years trip I think they ran about $60 a radio. They have a 2 mile talk range but in the parks it is Less. They worked great in the Parks,Resort and Downtown Disney. They do not work Park to Park. There was no static but the key is to find a channel with no traffic on it. The sub channel help with that. We found many uses for them besides Disney and theem parks Theme parks.

i have had good luck with motorola 250s. you have to have the sub codes.

Subchannels are a must! Ours are Motorola Talkabout Fr600. They were about $40 each. We were at WDW in June last year and only once had someone on our channel. They are wonderful for groups who are going to be splitting up!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter