20,000 Leagues of Running (comments welcome)

Thanks everyone. Just my like avatar, I am all ears!

So, I am going to do my regular maintenance runs this week and next week (probably Tuesday/Thursday both weeks) and then this weekend to replace my long run, maybe run 4 miles at an easy pace. How does that sound?

Not a comment on a taper....

(Very random side note - Wednesday comes from Old Norse and is named for Odin. Woensdaag, Odensdaag, Odin's day. One of my favorite random facts!).
Thursday is named after Thor: Thor's-day. I feel like some of the other day names may be related, too, but my knowledge of Norse mythology is very limited.

I will also point out that "month" comes from "moon", since we're on the topic. :)

Not a comment on a taper....

Thursday is named after Thor: Thor's-day. I feel like some of the other day names may be related, too, but my knowledge of Norse mythology is very limited.

I will also point out that "month" comes from "moon", since we're on the topic. :)
I think Friday is Freya’s day?

I am loving the discussion about days of the week! Tuesday is actually for Tyre, although I always forget what he is the god of. And then it gets all mixed up with Saturday bringing in Saturn from a different pantheon of gods.

Here's the one that has always bothered me. Our 10th month, October, literally has a name that means 8th month! This goes the same for September through December.

Last random thought about days and months. In some languages the days are actually named for different gods. Thursday in Dutch is Donderdaag (Thunder), which is close enough to Thor. But in French, Jeudi is for Jupiter!

Okay, I'm getting down off my soap box for words LOL

I am loving the discussion about days of the week! Tuesday is actually for Tyre, although I always forget what he is the god of. And then it gets all mixed up with Saturday bringing in Saturn from a different pantheon of gods.

Here's the one that has always bothered me. Our 10th month, October, literally has a name that means 8th month! This goes the same for September through December.

Last random thought about days and months. In some languages the days are actually named for different gods. Thursday in Dutch is Donderdaag (Thunder), which is close enough to Thor. But in French, Jeudi is for Jupiter!

Okay, I'm getting down off my soap box for words LOL
Yeah, the month thing is apparently because the Caesars, Julius and Augustus, decided they were so important that they needed months named after them or something, so they just shoehorned themselves into the year?

I always think about Joey in Friends with his "Wednesday, what day?" since it does sound a bit like numbers when you say them
View attachment 815699
Joey and Chandler are our generation's Abbott and Costello. There are none better at making me laugh! And I think Friends is applicable to any situation. "Oh yeah, this is just like that one Friends episode where Ross gets stuck in his leather pants."

RIP Matthew Perry 😢

In which there is less than one week until race day!

This week I tried to take everyone's advice and mostly have easy runs. It sort of worked.

Tuesday I ran Circuit #1. This one felt hard for some reason. I ran 35 minutes at an overall 10:24 pace, but I was sluggish the whole way.

Thursday I ran Circuit #2 and felt a lot better. I ran this one too fast, especially for a maintenance run, but I felt good. The only weird thing was about half way through the ball of my right foot started to go numb. When I stopped running at the end, the numbness went away. I looked up a few things that might have caused it and I think I probably just overextended. My Forerunner thinks my stride length for this run was 1.0, which is a little longer than normal. My average pace was a bit faster too ... okay, kind of a lot faster. I set a new PR on my Forerunner for fastest mile. Oops.

I wasn't sure when I was going to get my modified long run in this weekend. Today was SUPER busy with kids activities and just general weekend stuff to get done. But, I realized I had 60 minutes between the last kid thing and dinner, so I went out in the dark. This is of course why both of my lights died. Grrr.

For this one I wanted to run about 40 minutes, kind of like a maintenance run+, but less than a full long run. So I ran part of Circuit #1 and then most of Circuit #2. I felt really good on this run! No numbness in the feet, no pain in the Achilles or calves, just good running. Of course, I also managed to run this one too fast ... again! I set my fastest 5k yet (shaved 15 seconds off my last one at 29:15) and had an average pace of 9:35. Honestly, I wasn't trying to run fast. It just happened!
Is this over running a normal runner thing or am I just being stupid?

Anyways, I feel good going into next week. My race is Saturday morning and the predicted weather is 31F (so chilly, but manageable). This week my schedule is all messed up, so I'm running a very low key maintenance run on Monday and Wednesday, then resting the two days before the race. I'll throw in some yoga for good measure to stay limber.

But it's finally here. Six-ish days to go until my first 10K. Woop!

It’s very normal for runners to go too fast on their easy runs. Many struggle to slow down appropriately and it can take a while to get the hang of it. Running your easy runs easy is important to mitigate injury risk and to be able to execute your other non easy runs. If your body is handling it, it might be okay but I’d still suggest practicing hitting those easy paces.

I over-run frequently. I have trouble running more slowly, so I have to mitigate that with longer walk intervals, but that can only go so far, and sometimes I still run much too fast. This gets worse in the winter and there’s nothing to keep me from overheating.

My first 10k is in the books! I finished the Reindeer Romp with a time of 1:01:31. This is about what I was expecting, but I am just so happy with this time. The course was a lot flatter than I expected, almost no hills at all, so that probably helped.

I'll try to post a fuller recap later. Gotta get started on the weekend chore list before attending a Christmas party (where I plan to eat back those 800 calories I burned LOL).

20231216_101122.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter