2008/2009 Peanut Butter recall - salmonella

mechurchlady

DIS Veteran
They have include some items used in fundraising and today added dog biscuits.
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html#products

Not on the federal list yet but being pulled by the California Department of Public Health.
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=6611863
The CDPH is telling people not to consume frozen "Peanut Butter Cookie Dough" distributed by Sweet Success Fundraising Inc. The dough was packaged in white three pound tubs with the "Sweet Success" brand printed on the outside. The tubs do not have any lot codes or use by dates printed on them.

Candy Product Recalls
Hy-Vee
South Bend Chocolate Company

Cookie Product Recalls
Famous Amos
Food Lion Bake Shop
Hy-Vee
Keebler
Lofthouse
Parcos Foods Chucks Chunky
Pastries Plus
WalMart Bakery

Cracker Product Recalls
Austin Quality Foods
Keebler
Little Debbie

Fruit and Vegetable Product Recalls
H-E-Buddy

Ice Cream Product Recalls
Perry's
Shurfine
Wegman's

Peanut Butter Product Recalls
King Nut
Parnell's Pride
Peanut Corporation of America or Parnell's Pride

Peanut Paste Product Recalls
Peanut Corporation of America or Parnell's Pride

The recalled Classic Breaks Peanut Butter Cookie Dough was distributed nationwide through fundraising groups. Distribution to fundraising dealers occurred October 6, 2008 through January 9, 2009.

Nature's Path Optimum Energy Bar Peanut Butter

Pet Smart
Grreat Choice Dog Biscuits sold between Aug. 21, 2008 and Jan. 19, 2009:

* Small Assorted 32 oz., UPC 73725702900
* Small/Medium Assorted 4 lb., UPC 73725700601
* Small/Medium Assorted 8 lb., UPC 73725700605
* Small/Medium Assorted 10 lb., UPC 73725702755
* Large Assorted 8 lb., UPC 73725700638
* Extra Large Assorted 8 lb., UPC 73725700779
* Peanut Butter 4 lb., UPC 73725700766

Also Clif Bars, Luna Bars, ZonePerfect Bars, NutriPals bars, and Evening Rise cookies and bars.

Krogers ice cream
* Private Selection Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream sold in 48-ounce containers with a "Sell by" date of 9-13-2009 under the following UPC Code Number: 0001111054437.
* Private Selection Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream sold in 56-ounce containers with a "Sell by" date of 8-11-2009 under the following UPC Code Number: 0001111052816.

Lofthouse® brand PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES, PEANUT BUTTER NO-BAKE COOKIES and PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE NO-BAKE COOKIES, Parco Foods’ Chuck’s Chunky® food service brand PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES and Pastries Plus GOURMET COOKIES

* Meijer Cheese and Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, UPC #0-41250-56235
* Meijer Toasty Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, UPC #0-41250-56239
* Meijer Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream, UPC #00000007-19283-96635-3
* Meijer Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream, UPC #00000007-19283-96843-2

Lance Inc, Tasty Baking Co, Hershey Co and ConAgra Foods said their products with peanut-butter or peanut-based ingredients are not impacted by the federal government’s investigation into an outbreak of salmonella food poisoning.

The two bakers of Girl Scout cookies — Virginia-based ABC Bakers and Kentucky-based Little Brownie Bakers — say all peanut butter Girl Scout cookies are safe to eat, as the Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) did not supply any peanut products to either baker.

https://www.larabar.com/secure/index_.php
I have bought at least two of those and probably have eaten 2 ro 3 of those recently. OMG and I have no way to prove I got sick from one as I have a low immune system at times, celiac and food allergies. They are out of General Mills.

I am not going to panic but still that they are out of GM and a vegan, kosher, soy and dairy free food that is so healthy could be so deadly. they appear to be natural but where did them peanuts come from.:crazy2:

I am bumping this as they have added a bunch of new companies and products. Dog biscuits, Nutrisystem, Trader Joe's celery and peanut butter snacks, Ready Pac celery and peanut butter snacks, EAting Right celery and peanut butter snacks, TITAN bars, TWISTED bars, Best Brands Corp., Arizona Gold Peanut Butter, and I love Peanut Butter 3 lb. pails, Ovens of Ashley Monster 3 lb. pails, Gigi's Peanut Butter 3 lb. pail, Baker Jo's Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk, and Monster 3 lb. pails , and Health Valley Organic Peanut Crunch Chewy Granola Bars, 6.1 oz box.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/salmonellatyph.html#products

https://www.larabar.com/secure/index_.php
I have bought at least two of those and probably have eaten 2 ro 3 of those recently. OMG and I have no way to prove I got sick from one as I have a low immune system at times, celiac and food allergies.

If you are well enough to be posting online, I don't think you have anything to worry about, so relax, you're OK, just toss the stuff they say to get rid of.

We have purchased (and eaten) packs of the Austin brand peanut butter crackers that were one of the first products thought to be contaminated. We're fine - not all of the products are 100% contaminated. Some are perfectly safe, but they don't know which ones are, so we get rid of everything listed.

I bought two of each flavour and none of the peanut butter ones are left, lol. I ate one of each flavour at a time then bought more and peanut butter would have been one. I am fine but that 3-4 day mystery of tummy trouble worries me as it was not normal. I am fine but just wondering how many deaths and illnesses are unreported.

If the tummy trouble is gone now, you're going to be OK, your body fought it off. Now you have nice immune cells against salmonella as well!

If the tummy trouble is gone now, you're going to be OK, your body fought it off. Now you have nice immune cells against salmonella as well!
If that is true then I should have been immune years ago from the stuff I have eaten.Too funny Schmeck. We are supposed to be vegan and eat only healthy foods so why are vegan larabars on the list? Lol, I ate a vegan bar and died.:crazy2: I already pigged out on nut free and gluten free cookies plus some popcorn so now to find me some nut free foods like fatty prime rib, chocolate, bacon, and a hot fudge sundae hold the nuts.:rotfl:

Big hugs and chocolates
Laurie

They are now recalling dog biscuits and treat. Since I last reported there have been a lot of things added to the list. If you have anything that contains peanut paste, peanut butter or unidentified peanuts made since July, 2008 then you should trash it. The company was cited twice before this including in 2006. They had rust, open buckets of food stuff lying around and worse. It was very dirty in 2006. Also check for mixed flavour pet treats as they may not say peanut butter but will have it. Vegan and healthy snacks like apples and celery with peanut butter are being recalled.

That is it I have had it with this recall and am going to eat safe stuff like chocolates and prime rib. Anyone want my vegan energy bars?:lmao:

churchlady, I say, there is plenty of goodness in the universe that does not contain peanut, and is still vegan. And you should go for it. ;)

I have a brand-new jar of Jif in the fridge and sent oldest DS to school for two days with pb&j before I knew there was a recall- but Jif isn't on it- I'm not paying attention very well.

However I did resist the urge to buy a peanut butter Cadbury Egg yesterday when we were at Walgreens. Not that they're on the list. It's okay though, I just bought a caramel one instead. It's a tough world, but I'm learning to adapt. :lmao:

I prefer steak, fried ham, hot dogs, and burgers please. It is so ironic that we are supposed to adhere to a vegan organic diet to be healthy but instead die from it, lol. As for the cadbury egg you know sharing is caring so care about me please.:lmao:

http://www.empowher.com/news/2009/0...t-shipped-dubious-product-us-health-officials

A second strain of salmonella was found in cracks in the floor of the plant, a third in a container of peanut butter from the plant, and a fourth strain was found in peanut butter in the plant, Tauxe said. No cases of salmonella infection have resulted from the latter three strains, Tauxe added.

OMG thme people would test then ship out contaminate product. This is as bad as Upton Sinclair's book on food and health from a century ago.

The FDA officials said Tuesday that they have visited more than 1,000 companies who purchased product from Peanut Corp.

Jenny Craig was added to the list with dog biscuits.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/peanutcorp401_09.html
They are recalling anything made from 2007 and 2008. The worst part is that they are now recalling other stuff made by that plant.

The expanded recall includes all peanuts (dry and oil roasted), granulated peanuts, peanut meal, peanut butter and peanut paste.

I am eating up the last of the LaraBars but after that no more of them as they are high fat which I do not need. Now to wait and see what will be recalled next. They added more stuff recently including sugar free tracks flavour of Blue Bunny.

* Meijer Bulk Dry Roasted Peanuts, UPC #2-18537-00000-8
* Markets of Meijer Dry Roasted Peanuts, UPC #7-19283-91733-1
* Meijer Vanilla Sundae Cone w/ Peanuts (with Garfield on packaging) UPC #7-19283-74019-9
* Meijer Vanilla Sundae Cone w/ Peanuts (without Garfield on packaging) UPC #7-19283-91235-0
* Meijer Fudge Sundae Cone w/ Peanuts (with Garfield on packaging) UPC #7-19283-74020-5
* Meijer Fudge Sundae Cone w/ Peanuts (without Garfield on packaging) UPC #7-19283-91245-9
======================================

There was a lot of recalls since they added anything from 2007 and 2008 plus anything containing peanuts. As shown above they are recalling whole peanuts and items containing peanuts but not peanut butter or peanut paste.

Rocky road ice cream and the sundae cones have been recalled by Galliker Dairy. Hy-Vee Inc. is voluntarily recalling its freshly made party mix and peanut brittle. Chef Pierre Chocolate Peanut Butter Silk Pies are recalled. A lot of flavours of Turkey Hill ice cream have been recalled including moose tracks. House of Flavors Ice Cream Company is voluntarily recalling all Hannaford Denali Nutty Moose Tracks ice cream sold in Hannaford Stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York and Sweetbay Stores in Florida. Orchard Valley Harvest initiated a nationwide voluntary recall of certain conventional and organic peanuts roasted and packed for Safeway.

For those of us who are picky eaters or have picky eaters this is a big blow to our diet. I am taking bets on this not doing anything to change the way the FDA is financed or staffed as well as any major changes occuring.:badpc:
============================
http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/icecreamspecialties01_09.html
any ice cream cones that have nuts like the Nestle Cruncha re yannked. Very long list just from one company.

Ad to the list prepared meal like flank steak that were made with peanuts.

Bumping this. Brachs and Farley are recalling. We need to check emergency supplies such as found in storm cellars and other shelf stable meals for emergencies. Anything for pets or humans that contains peanuts is not safe. How long has Brach's candy already been on the shelf with the peanuts? The recalls take time and can be too late. Hopefully everyone has destroyed anything with peanuts other than certain brands of peanut butter. The report I have at the bottom of this post shows that clear back in 2007 this was going on.

A lot of new brands are out.
http://www.fda.gov/ora/frequent/default.htm
Check out the reports on the peanut company there. Rain pouring in, flaking paint and live roaches in the wash room.

Specifically, 011 1/12109 a build-up of product residue was observed on hoppers, and support beams on the peanut paste tanker line. Also, pieces of the yellow and black caution sign on the mill were flaking off into the catch pan for product under the mill.

it makes me afraid to eat anything in a package

I hope that something is done to these owners who feel money was more important than the lives of people:headache:

(sorry I will step off my soapbox now)

We are told to eat trail mix instead of donuts and go vegan and organic but then you see the list of foods and you have be confused. Brand snobs will not eat generic foods but looks at the list of famous brands. Some say generic is as good as the expensive brands.

Now we find out that most of the peanuts and peanut products came from the same plant. I wonder how many items that are recalled were certified kosher. Rats and roaches are not kosher and disgusting.

I brought this up as a reminder to others but also to wake us up to the fact that we do not have a strong enough food safety program. So what if food is mislabeled, has hidden allergens, or is tainted with rats, roaches and salmonella as in time they will report it. 8 too many people are dead and as many as 5000 got ill and who knows how many may have died but went unreported.

I now put the soap box out for others to rant and rave. I know that some kids out there are on such limited diets due to sensory issues that this could even more limit what they eat. Sorry Bobby but no peanut butter cookies for you as they are not safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter