2008 Drum Corps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought I would see this again, and was so surprised to stumble on it on Youtube!

It's the Cadets closing the Olympics in Atlanta.

I saw the run through for this, I think in Madison WI, and I remember the drum corps community was a little upset at the fact that they kept being called a band, but hey, this is the Olympics! What a great opportunity!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ABh1v1W6iXk&feature=related

Alas, the days when the Eastern US ruled drum corps are gone. To think that Garfield, 27th, Muchachos, Bridgemen, and North Star were all finalists over a span of about 5 years is incredible. Add in Squires, Alliance, Avant Garde, BAC and many other top 20 finishers, and it's obvious the East had some pretty darn good drum corps.

Just flipping through, and Drum Corps caught my eye...so funny you mention North Star. I finished my junior corps career there in 78. It was truly a dream come true for me. No we didn't ever win the nationals, but being in the top 12 at a time there were 70+ corps trying to get in was good enough for this drum corps lifer. I think if you can get to Lawrence this summer for both the re-introduction of Mission Drums to be held in Lawrence on July 26, and then the Crusaders show on that following Thursday you will get a pleasant surprise from the Crusaders Senior Corps...Rumor has it they will be playing Ole, and Masquerade as a tribute from one great "Boston" area corps to another.

Now that is class!
I will be there-went last year too. Really enjoyed the Carolina Crown show.

The Blue Stars announced their show! It's based on Le Tour de France. It has pieces by French composers including ruvel...hhmm can anyone say Bolero???

Marching...sadly, no. BUUUT, I do get to go to the show in Madison WI on the 28th of June...the Amateur Athletic Union Tae Kwon Do national championships are in Madison this year, and they start the day after that show. Since I'm an official, adn the AAU will pick up my room and give me a stipend, I'm very excited about going!!!

Well they announced the venue for the Orlando show...

The brand new Brighthouse Stadium at the University of Central Florida?

NOPE! Back to the Citrus Bowl!

UGH! :sad2:

So a big drum corps fan (me!) is going to Disney in January '09. Anyone (esp. drum corps people) want to meet up and share lunch or dinner? I'm planning on either BWV or BCV for accomodations. Let me know! I'll be down for a week at the end of January! :dance3:

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=14980&news_iv_ctrl=1401

Looks like the Cadets are going to do a live Webcast from their camp this Sunday! :thumbsup2

Could be a fun watch!

There's nothing I can say about Cadets
that won't get me into trouble so...
p.gif

So a big drum corps fan (me!) is going to Disney in January '09. Anyone (esp. drum corps people) want to meet up and share lunch or dinner? I'm planning on either BWV or BCV for accomodations. Let me know! I'll be down for a week at the end of January! :dance3:

I'll be starting my college program at that time, so ya never know, that might be possible!

SInce you are from LaCrosse, does that automatically make you a Blue Stars Fan (even though they have spent most of the recent time in Minnesota or Indiana).

Not that senior corps is ANY true comparison, as far as dedication and skill.... but I did senior corps for a few summers out of high school. I didn't have the drive for DCI, but still loved color guard and missed it from high school so much. I had a friend in the Cadets and in the Crossmen and would follow them around one summer. Senior corps (no age limit, 2-3 days a week of practice, shows only on the weekends) gave me the outlet to enjoy field show competitions for myself, again. I also had some GREAT times with some really awesome people!

I confess, I still have my rifle in my basement and impress my DD8 and DS6 from time to time...

I marched senior corps as well - a few years with in the colorguard at Westshoreman, Harrisburg, PA. Practice and shows were weekends only and they were the best summers of my life. I regret not being able to march Jr Corps, but it was the next best thing. :flower3:

I marched senior corps as well - a few years with in the colorguard at Westshoreman, Harrisburg, PA. Practice and shows were weekends only and they were the best summers of my life. I regret not being able to march Jr Corps, but it was the next best thing. :flower3:

I was just in Harrisburg last week, and saw the Westshorman Alumni Corps..well at least warming up. They are awesome! I play with Mass Brass Mini Corps, winners of the afternoon mini corps show in the afternoon of the "Serenade In Brass"...here is a link to the video of the after party with us.... www.massbrass.com ...just scroll down to the youtube links... What a weekend... Anyone in that area that needs an early season drum corps fix..you gotta get to this show the second weekend of April...

One of my best friends is section leader for the trumpets in the Cavaliers, so I'm a Cavie fan!!! But I just love going to the shows and seeing all the different performances. Truly truly impressive.

Hmmm... lets see

My dad marched OLPH Ridgemen in the early 60's, then NY Skyliners in the mid 60's. He played soprano bugle.

Mom marched in the Queensmen Marionettes...also mid 60's. She carried a flag (they used holsters back then...didn't do anything w/ them since they were so darn heavy!)

Knowing the reprobates dad marched with, mom swore her kids would NEVER march in a drum corps. She was wrong! ;)

My sister (soprano) started it and marched in the Long Island Kingsmen Squires in 1981 (our younger brother - cymbals- marched too).

Then both sis (french horn) and I (bass drum) marched in the St. Ignatius Girls (Hicksville, LI) in 1982.

In 1983 and 1984 we both marched with the Long Island Kingsmen (sis played mellophone and I played bass drum and carried a set of tenors...I wouldn't really call it "playing"... respectively).

Sis and I then marched (along w/ about 25 other ex LIK members due to LIK folding) with the Bayonne Bridgemen in 1985. Sis again played mellophone and I played cymbals. For those that were around back then...this was the "Christmas" year.

In 1986, my parents made me stay home for one summer and "find other things to do other than drum corps." :rolleyes: Sis went and joined the Garfield Cadets (pre name change), again playing mellophone. She ended up marching w/ them until she aged out in 1990.

In 1987 I joined Crossmen and played cymbals. That summer I met (and dated briefly) my now husband. :love:

I marched w/ the Crossmen until I aged out in 1989. I also volunteered with them HEAVILY through 1994.

My brother marched (baritone 88 & 89, cymbals 90, 91 and bass drum 93, 94.. I think those are the right years??...I'm probably off w/ something there) in Crossmen for multple years as well.

My dh marched in Crossmen's tenor line in 1987 and then marched multiple years with the Westshoremen senior corps in the early '90s.

Most recently, he played at Serenade in Brass in Harrisburg w/ the Westshoremen Alumni Corps.

Whoosh... that was a lot of drum corps history! In total my siblings and I collectively marched over 25yrs. In 1989 my parents had three of us on the field at finals, in two different corps! :thumbsup2

That all said, dh and I have been out of the drum corps loop for the most part due to us having two little ones. Dd is now turning 7yo this summer and ds is 2.5yo...so attendance at drum corps shows has not been a high priority! We've gone to Allentown a few different times over the years, including one night last summer and may be going this year as well. Some years when dd was younger we would take the ride up to Allentown, hang out in the park all day and come home w/o even going into the stadium!

SInce you are from LaCrosse, does that automatically make you a Blue Stars Fan (even though they have spent most of the recent time in Minnesota or Indiana).

well I marched 2004 Blue Stars and my bf marched 2006, so yes :banana:

unfortunately the ONLY theater in WI showing it is 148 miles through deer infested, elderly drivers in a 55mph zone and I have class tonight. ::sigh:: next year I'll be in Orlando...it'll much easier then

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter