(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed to "home" to WDW in 70 days and I just switched up our stay from two weeks at the Poly CL to one week at GF and the other week Poly CL. Eeeeeek! I'm so excited but literally know NOTHING about GF; I haven't stayed there since I graduated from college!! I will definitely read through the thread but welcome any insight from all the pros on this board. Oh - I'm staying in a non-CL GV room if that makes any difference. TIA!! :mickeybar

Congrats!!! That's a nice split! :lovestruc... page one of this thread has lots of GF info..some of the prices on things could use some up dating but other than that...its all pretty accurate...As for an outer building recommendation..it just really depends on your particular preferences....my preference in an outer building would be Boca Chica..as I think it has pretty courtyard /pool views and is close to the courtyard pool and the boat dock...also not far from the beach pool...there are others that I am sure will be glad to chime in and add their opinions as well ::yes::...the map ..also on page one will be of a help to you...btw..all of the "garden views" at the GF are lovely...GV could be pool, garden and marina too...Conch Key has some very nice marina views if that would be a preference...

Some of our fave way to spend time at the resort ~The lobby of the main building is one of the nicest things besides the lovely grounds..I would highly recommend taking some time to relax there in the early evening when the band and pianist are playing...its quite grand! :cloud9:...you probably already know about all of the nice shops to visit....Summer Lace is a fave of ours...if night swimming..you can see the high fireworks while in the courtyard pool....and watching the EWP from the boat dock is so nice too....Staying at two MK resorts is such fun! Enjoy!!

Good afternoon fellow GF fans...:wave2:

~So our 180 day booking window just opened...and since we are doing a split stay and which is not recognized/synced by the reservation system..we enlisted the help of DSS so that we had a chance of getting a BOG dinner on our MVMCP nite..which was also our check in day for our GF ressie.....but...according to them...they could not book our ADRs prior to the 180 days of the 2nd ressie either?????????????? really...:eek:..Needless to say..we did not get the BOG reservation...:confused3.... we have been going early to mid December for many many years...and this year was the first year that there was very limited availability for many Epcot restaurants ..not able to get a GG for breakfast...Beaches and Cream lunch??? I am thinking that as soon as the CP packages are open for booking that there will be more availability..at least I hope so....on the bright side...we were able to book Narcoosees and Cali Grill....:goodvibes ...Best of luck to everyone else trying to make ADRs...:thumbsup2 Hope that you have better luck that we did!

Wanted to add...lol..there is always something to add right...:scratchin:laughing:..No ceiling fan in our room this past trip either...and no runners...but there were bolsters... and like Dispro mentioned..super comfy beds...:cloud9:..

Hope that everyone is having a magical Monday.... princess: ADR stalking GF gal...:magnify:..lol..
I was up in the middle of the night booking ADRs for the first half of our split stay this morning as well (west coast so 3 am & I'm never quite awake @ that time in the morning.)
Did not get our BOG lunch as hoped & settled for BOG lunch on the day we move from AKL to the GF.
Epcot restaurants were a problem for me as well - has Coral Reef really become so popular that there are several nights w/ no times at all and when available no dinners before 8:45 from 12/9-15? Le Cellier I get, but Coral Reef??? I know from previous Dec. stays that they block times for the CP dinning packages & then release them later, but it is frustrating to have to book a back up & then chronically search to see if what you really want opens up, argh.
Anyway I get to repeat it all this Sat. for the VGF half of our stay & am not looking forward to it.

Congrats!!! That's a nice split! :lovestruc... page one of this thread has lots of GF info..some of the prices on things could use some up dating but other than that...its all pretty accurate...As for an outer building recommendation..it just really depends on your particular preferences....my preference in an outer building would be Boca Chica..as I think it has pretty courtyard /pool views and is close to the courtyard pool and the boat dock...also not far from the beach pool...there are others that I am sure will be glad to chime in and add their opinions as well ::yes::...the map ..also on page one will be of a help to you...btw..all of the "garden views" at the GF are lovely...GV could be pool, garden and marina too...Conch Key has some very nice marina views if that would be a preference...

Some of our fave way to spend time at the resort ~The lobby of the main building is one of the nicest things besides the lovely grounds..I would highly recommend taking some time to relax there in the early evening when the band and pianist are playing...its quite grand! :cloud9:...you probably already know about all of the nice shops to visit....Summer Lace is a fave of ours...if night swimming..you can see the high fireworks while in the courtyard pool....and watching the EWP from the boat dock is so nice too....Staying at two MK resorts is such fun! Enjoy!!

Thank you so much!!

Tagging folks like @trishadono and @BlueSkies, they (along with many others on this thread) are room request pros when it comes to outer building CL (aka, Sugarloaf, or SL). I was just there in April and spent a bunch of time researching (agonizing) my room requests there. :-)

With a CL reservation, you can send or call room requests to:
(407) 939-7777
disney.signature.services@disneyworld.com

FWIW, the top floor of SL (4th floor) has a smaller footprint than the other floors and the standard rooms have the smaller dormer balconies.

The 2nd and 3rd floor would be more of a preference for us - they all have balconies to my knowledge. Some of the 3rd floor rooms also have the dormer-type balconies.

I requested a Courtyard Pool view in April but got a marina view. Room 6317 I believe. Here was my room/view:

View attachment 243644

View attachment 243645

View attachment 243646
Thanks so much for the reply and great pix. I'm sure we'll be thrilled which ever room we get assigned.

For all who might be interested...Cause its always about the food...especially desserts ::yes::...Fireworks Holiday Dessert Party at the tomorrowland terrace is now available for booking...$79 per adult..still need a party ticket tho...

I was up in the middle of the night booking ADRs for the first half of our split stay this morning as well (west coast so 3 am & I'm never quite awake @ that time in the morning.)
Did not get our BOG lunch as hoped & settled for BOG lunch on the day we move from AKL to the GF.
Epcot restaurants were a problem for me as well - has Coral Reef really become so popular that there are several nights w/ no times at all and when available no dinners before 8:45 from 12/9-15? Le Cellier I get, but Coral Reef??? I know from previous Dec. stays that they block times for the CP dinning packages & then release them later, but it is frustrating to have to book a back up & then chronically search to see if what you really want opens up, argh.
Anyway I get to repeat it all this Sat. for the VGF half of our stay & am not looking forward to it.

Best of luck!! :thumbsup2 When Coral Reef has no availability at 180 days :earseek:...then it really is an indication that they are holding back ADRs for the CP packages...lol...

Thank you so much!!

Very welcome! :goodvibes

mmmears Many thanks for the info on using the TP dining finder and texting me the link..lol...very helpful for a technically challenged person like me!!! :goodvibes You are awesome!

Thanks so much for the reply and great pix. I'm sure we'll be thrilled which ever room we get assigned.

FYI - I will give a small warning about SL. I am very glad we were in the "middle" section because there are no plants/trees in front of those rooms. For 'some' rooms on either end, you can have much more of a predominantly plant/tree view as the plants/trees around SL are quite high. I'm not 'too' particular about my views, but I do like to at least be looking at something other than a plant.

The trade off with being in the 'middle' is that we found it a touch noisy as sound from the lounge drifts up. We may have been more in tune with that given the age of DD (2) with naps and all, might not be a consideration for most folks. The noise wasn't terrible, but you could hear things from below at times.

Hope you have a great trip!

FYI - I will give a small warning about SL. I am very glad we were in the "middle" section because there are no plants/trees in front of those rooms. For 'some' rooms on either end, you can have much more of a predominantly plant/tree view as the plants/trees around SL are quite high. I'm not 'too' particular about my views, but I do like to at least be looking at something other than a plant.

The trade off with being in the 'middle' is that we found it a touch noisy as sound from the lounge drifts up. We may have been more in tune with that given the age of DD (2) with naps and all, might not be a consideration for most folks. The noise wasn't terrible, but you could hear things from below at times.

Hope you have a great trip!

I know what you mean about having a tree/plant view :rolleyes: Our last trip we were in Sago--which we requested--and we were the last room on the hallway before the hallway bisects left and right for the TPV rooms. Our balcony faced the marina but we had a tree right in front of us so...couldn't see much else. We didn't complain though because the room was so quiet only having one neighbor:thumbsup2

Oh, those trees! We had the lovely arboreal view from our Boca Chica room a few years ago!

As you can see from the ticker, we have another trip planned. We are still RPC people and have been thoroughly spoiled planning our last few stays, with the IPO CMs booking our ADRs among other things. As the IPO is now kaput, are the RPC CMs still able to make ADRS etc. for us? I know that I am sounding incredibly silly and lazy, buy we live on the other side of the planet. Opening hours for phone and online bookings are in the middle of the night for us. Not the most convenient of times, especially for those of us who have to get to work without being too bleary-eyed!

I'll just think of GF sunsets while we ponder dining possibilities ...
GF Sunset 2.jpg

Oh, those trees! We had the lovely arboreal view from our Boca Chica room a few years ago!

As you can see from the ticker, we have another trip planned. We are still RPC people and have been thoroughly spoiled planning our last few stays, with the IPO CMs booking our ADRs among other things. As the IPO is now kaput, are the RPC CMs still able to make ADRS etc. for us? I know that I am sounding incredibly silly and lazy, buy we live on the other side of the planet. Opening hours for phone and online bookings are in the middle of the night for us. Not the most convenient of times, especially for those of us who have to get to work without being too bleary-eyed!

View attachment 244333
I know what you mean about getting up in the middle of the night. I liked it better when reservations opened at midnight EST, which was 9:00pm for us in the west!!

Good afternoon fellow GF fans...:wave2:

:dance3:Safe travels!

Same for us...Hit or miss...lol....:confused3

Great tip and pics as always GADisneyDad :goodvibes... That was a super nice view..I have added your room to my every growing list....:thumbsup2

As you know...lol...I do have a few resort room lists.... :blush:...and over the years have pretty much memorized the particulars for rooms in SL and RPC and am happy to share that info with others...::yes::

Your details were great on the SL rooms ..just wanted to add..because of the roof lines in SL there are even dormer rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors...I will look around for a pic...

The walk as other have posted is not very long...no longer than from an outer buidling to the main one..A suggestion would be to request a room close to the exit leading to the main building to cut down on the distance...

The GF does have some very nice events on Halloween...trick or treating at the resort if memory serves correctly and fun pool/movie nite events too....Enjoy!

~So our 180 day booking window just opened...and since we are doing a split stay and which is not recognized/synced by the reservation system..we enlisted the help of DSS so that we had a chance of getting a BOG dinner on our MVMCP nite..which was also our check in day for our GF ressie.....but...according to them...they could not book our ADRs prior to the 180 days of the 2nd ressie either?????????????? really...:eek:..Needless to say..we did not get the BOG reservation...:confused3.... we have been going early to mid December for many many years...and this year was the first year that there was very limited availability for many Epcot restaurants ..not able to get a GG for breakfast...Beaches and Cream lunch??? I am thinking that as soon as the CP packages are open for booking that there will be more availability..at least I hope so....on the bright side...we were able to book Narcoosees and Cali Grill....:goodvibes ...Best of luck to everyone else trying to make ADRs...:thumbsup2 Hope that you have better luck that we did!

Wanted to add...lol..there is always something to add right...:scratchin:laughing:..No ceiling fan in our room this past trip either...and no runners...but there were bolsters... and like Dispro mentioned..super comfy beds...:cloud9:..

Hope that everyone is having a magical Monday.... princess: ADR stalking GF gal...:magnify:..lol..
We got Garden Grill early lunch at 11:40. Also ADRs for Bongos, SciFi, 50's, Boma, La Hacienda, Trails End, Planet Hollywood, and Skippers Canteen.

View attachment 244333

Nice pic!

IPO has been replaced with Disney Signature Services, or DSS. It's basically the same thing as the old IPO setup, it's just a centralized office that serves all CLs vs individual CL IPOs. Some of their processes are a bit different, but their fundamental function is the same.

With some exceptions, reports over on the CL thread have generally been positive. I'm not a heavy DSS user, but when I have used them I've found their knowledge and responsiveness quite good. Obviously YMMV!

You can contact DSS via:

(407) 939-7777

Hope that helps! Happy to answer any questions.

Nice pic!

IPO has been replaced with Disney Signature Services, or DSS. It's basically the same thing as the old IPO setup, it's just a centralized office that serves all CLs vs individual CL IPOs. Some of their processes are a bit different, but their fundamental function is the same.

With some exceptions, reports over on the CL thread have generally been positive. I'm not a heavy DSS user, but when I have used them I've found their knowledge and responsiveness quite good. Obviously YMMV!

You can contact DSS via:

(407) 939-7777

Hope that helps! Happy to answer any questions.
Thank you so much, GADisneyDad14! That's exactly what we need! :thanks:

Wow! That balcony sounds amazing! I've often been tempted to try that room, but I always end up going with the garden tub...plus I'm not sure I'd like the different layout of that room?? Perhaps Marlaine8 will post some room pics:D! I have a few to post. They've moved the sofa since we were last in the room, and I think I prefer it this way! I love the huge entry hall in this room! It works wonderfully as a dressing room!View attachment 242458View attachment 242459 View attachment 242460View attachment 242461 View attachment 242462

What type of room has the garden tub? That would make my trip much more enjoyable!

Just got back from our seven day stay at GF! Previously we had stayed there twice in RPC Standard Room and loved it. This time we stayed in a Queen Deluxe in RPC. It was wonderful! That room was big enough to park 3 cars in! lol We didn't get my requested room and got room 4420 instead. I'm so happy we got that room! The location was phenomenal. We were on the fourth floor and the lounge was literally steps away. We never heard any noise from the lounge. It had a garden tub. There was a sink in the room along with a Keurig coffee maker. The balcony was a little short, but I spent a ton of time sitting there. We could see MK fireworks. We had a view of the Courtyard pool. There was a little area in front where they had yoga in the mornings and lawn games from 5 - 7. (Bags, Croquet). The lounge was better than ever! This was our first summer trip, after going in Sept and Jan, and we went to the parks at ropedrop and returned to the resort around 4 for a break to get out of the heat and then went back. Every night, the Chef prepared something special to go along with the foods that sit out. One day it was beef kabobs and stuffed mushroom, one day chicken kabobs, one night they made pasta to order. We were treated one morning to the Chef making fresh Mickey Waffles! The staff was wonderful. I made a point to talk to management to let them know how great they were. Marie, who poured the wine and cordials was a doll and Lonnie helped me when there was a mistake on my dining credits. The guy who stood out the most was Abdul. I could never say enough great things about him! I had called Signature Services a couple of days ahead of our trip, and asked for extra hangers in the room. The lady I spoke with was very nice and the hangers were there when we arrived.
I took a lot of pictures, but I don't know how to post them here. I'll have my son do it for me when he gets home.

Just got back from our seven day stay at GF! Previously we had stayed there twice in RPC Standard Room and loved it. This time we stayed in a Queen Deluxe in RPC. It was wonderful! That room was big enough to park 3 cars in! lol We didn't get my requested room and got room 4420 instead. I'm so happy we got that room! The location was phenomenal. We were on the fourth floor and the lounge was literally steps away. We never heard any noise from the lounge. It had a garden tub. There was a sink in the room along with a Keurig coffee maker. The balcony was a little short, but I spent a ton of time sitting there. We could see MK fireworks. We had a view of the Courtyard pool. There was a little area in front where they had yoga in the mornings and lawn games from 5 - 7. (Bags, Croquet). The lounge was better than ever! This was our first summer trip, after going in Sept and Jan, and we went to the parks at ropedrop and returned to the resort around 4 for a break to get out of the heat and then went back. Every night, the Chef prepared something special to go along with the foods that sit out. One day it was beef kabobs and stuffed mushroom, one day chicken kabobs, one night they made pasta to order. We were treated one morning to the Chef making fresh Mickey Waffles! The staff was wonderful. I made a point to talk to management to let them know how great they were. Marie, who poured the wine and cordials was a doll and Lonnie helped me when there was a mistake on my dining credits. The guy who stood out the most was Abdul. I could never say enough great things about him! I had called Signature Services a couple of days ahead of our trip, and asked for extra hangers in the room. The lady I spoke with was very nice and the hangers were there when we arrived.
I took a lot of pictures, but I don't know how to post them here. I'll have my son do it for me when he gets home.

This is great info! We will be there in December.

WishnDisney - Did you receive any "good night" cards at turn down service? They use to have them in the past. Just wondering if this is still happening or if it is another lost "perk" at the GF.

WishnDisney - Did you receive any "good night" cards at turn down service? They use to have them in the past. Just wondering if this is still happening or if it is another lost "perk" at the GF.

When we stayed in Conch Key last August we didn't receive any good night cards at turn down service.

I was watching a youtube video from someone walking around the GF recently. He went into one of the shops and I saw a Vineyard Vines tee on a display table. Does anyone know if there is a specific GF vineyard vines tee or is it just a regular VV tee? thanks!

I was watching a youtube video from someone walking around the GF recently. He went into one of the shops and I saw a Vineyard Vines tee on a display table. Does anyone know if there is a specific GF vineyard vines tee or is it just a regular VV tee? thanks!

When I was there in August it was just regular Vineyard Vines tees... But maybe someone who has been more recently can confirm for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter