2021 Point Reallocation

With the rate hurricanes are hitting Orlando (3 times in 4 or 5 years, I think) early September is going to stay unpopular even with cheaper charts.

Late August up to/through Labor Day was our "planned" time to visit regularly when we first bought in; we've since branched out to Easter and Christmas and Thanksgiving. First week or two of September has been decent for us the last few years, so this just gives us more of an incentive to stay into September. Will have to take a look at how this affects other times for our home resorts.

Maybe that was their plan? Create something so terrible that they would be able to get anything past us in 2021 under the guise of “we heard you”.

Ha. That would presume some really coordinated long-range planning. ITA with @_auroraborealis_ and others who suggested that this is step 1 of a bigger 2-step change.

I’ve updated the point reconciliation across all the Disneyworld only DVC resorts comparing 2020 and 2021 point charts. I plan to update the non-Disneyworld resorts this week. Overall the Disneyworld DVC points are only .1% higher in 2021 vs 2020 which is within the balancing threshold. The point charts have been expanded to 7 season in 2021 compared to 5 for Disneyworld DVC resorts but seems to be more balanced based on seasonal demand. A couple of notes:

1. When balancing points, DVC considers the point value of the lock-off, 2 bedroom unit, rather than the Studio+1Bedroom (lock-off premium) values that make it up. Unlike the first controversial 2020 points publication, I don’t see evidence that the lock-off components in 2021 were inflated.
  2. I didn’t include Riviera in the comparison as I’m not sure of room inventory by view yet.

Attachments

• 2020 Vs 2021 Point Chart Differences FINAL.pdf
    461.7 KB · Views: 128
I’ve updated the point reconciliation across all the Disneyworld only DVC resorts comparing 2020 and 2021 point charts. I plan to update the non-Disneyworld resorts this week. Overall the Disneyworld DVC points are only .1% higher in 2021 vs 2020 which is within the balancing threshold. The point charts have been expanded to 7 season in 2021 compared to 5 for Disneyworld DVC resorts but seems to be more balanced based on seasonal demand. A couple of notes:

1. When balancing points, DVC considers the point value of the lock-off, 2 bedroom unit, rather than the Studio+1Bedroom (lock-off premium) values that make it up. Unlike the first controversial 2020 points publication, I don’t see evidence that the lock-off components in 2021 were inflated.
  2. I didn’t include Riviera in the comparison as I’m not sure of room inventory by view yet.
THank you:thumbsup2

Overall, I'm happy with the changes because something had to be done about the unequal demand with the current point charts. I hope this is step one, honestly. Because more work is needed.

For me personally, this is bad for my Christmas/NYE trips, but very good for my fixed week Riviera contract. The premium has disappeared...

Without having done a deep dive into the different seasons, I'm wondering if enough was done to really move demand? I personally compared the times of year I travel in the summer (formerly known as Magic Season and Dream Season). The average difference is about 4 points over each 10 day stay. That small of a difference would never personally have an effect on my decision making. It is possible that the difference is more significant in other periods of the year.

Others have mentioned that this is likely step 1 of a two or three year adjustment. This makes perfect sense to me.

Why is Feb 16-28 so high? Is it considered 'spring break' time? I find it odd that DVC is calling that high season, spring break, but Dec 1-23 is low season still. Early Dec is one of DVC's biggest demanded times, no? And Feb seems early for 'spring break' time.

Oh, and Easter and Christmas get a big jump...super high season. But Thanksgiving and July 4th not so much. Hmmm????? Lets look at BWV standard studio...106 for July 4th week, 113 for Thanksgiving week (and actually less since it's just higher for a few days over Thanksgiving) and 155 for Easter/Xmas week.

Last edited:
...but Dec 1-23 is low season still. Early Dec is one of DVC's biggest demanded times, no?

Ultimately, they are trying to balance points and demand, but there are some cases where, perhaps, they lowered points too much in the low season and thus turned it into a high season?

Is this the proverbial chicken and egg? The demand is high because the points are low, but the points are low because demand wasn't high.

Without having done a deep dive into the different seasons, I'm wondering if enough was done to really move demand? I personally compared the times of year I travel in the summer (formerly known as Magic Season and Dream Season). The average difference is about 4 points over each 10 day stay. That small of a difference would never personally have an effect on my decision making. It is possible that the difference is more significant in other periods of the year.

Others have mentioned that this is likely step 1 of a two or three year adjustment. This makes perfect sense to me.

I think it could depend, A summer trip in a SV studio at RIV is down 14 points. That is a pretty good level of points.

I do believe that making all of December...expect holiday week...in the same season will allow them to maybe adjust more next year, But, the fact that the 3rd week is now the same as the first two, it could have some impact as it won’t make a difference in points cost if someone crosses over the 15th when booking their trip.

Why is Feb 16-28 so high? Is it considered 'spring break' time? I find it odd that DVC is calling that high season, spring break, but Dec 1-23 is low season still. Early Dec is one of DVC's biggest demanded times, no? And Feb seems early for 'spring break' time.

Oh, and Easter and Christmas get a big jump...super high season. But Thanksgiving and July 4th not so much. Hmmm????? Lets look at BWV standard studio...106 for July 4th week, 113 for Thanksgiving week (and actually less since it's just higher for a few days over Thanksgiving) and 155 for Easter/Xmas week.

Many schools up north have a winter break that week, as it includes Presidents Day, In my area, the airfare goes sky high for that week

I also think the combining of all of December is step one and thst next year, you will see December rates go up. They are bound by the 20% rule and it appears they may have done this to account for thst.

I think it could depend, A summer trip in a SV studio at RIV is down 14 points. That is a pretty good level of points.

I do believe that making all of December...expect holiday week...in the same season will allow them to maybe adjust more next year, But, the fact that the 3rd week is now the same as the first two, it could have some impact as it won’t make a difference in points cost if someone crosses over the 15th when booking their trip.
You are right. RIV was the only one that seemed to have a substantial difference.

In addition to what others have said, this is also the days surrounding the Princess Half Marathon. A very popular time for DVC runners.

I was laughing last year that because I was finally able to switch from a summer WDW trips to fall WDW trips that they would probably finally go and change the point charts. So while the change will definitely now cost me more points for me trips, I think it was the right thing to do.

Also glad to see they didn't try the premium lock off scam again. Big thanks to all those 24 people that called Disney out about that last year.

Points for any given night cannot change more than 20%, up or down, in any given year, except for variations in nights for holiday periods (Easter and Thanksgiving) that change dates annually. My guess is we may see more changes in 2022, including another raise as to those Dec dates.

Feb 16-28 has Presidents' week and one of the the high DVC demand weekends of the year, Princess half marathon weekend (it is currently the highest demand time that exists between mid-January and late Sep).

The premier season increases are only partial; DVC removed six nights (the Mon through Sat after Easter Sunday) from the usual Easter premier season and hugely dropped the points for those nights by sending them to the season below the now unnamed premier season, e.g., reserving a BWV standard view studio for those six Easter week nights dropped from 130 points to 98 points, so net effect is likely that the premier season increases were set off by the lowering of points for those six Easter week nights.

Time around July 4 has not actually been a very high DVC demand time in the past, nor is the rest of the summer. Thanksgiving got a small increase but likely that has to do with the fact that it was in magic season and remains in that next to highest season where likely DVC did not want to make any large increases; i.e., the only way to increase Thanksgiving more is to put it in premier season, something DVC is likely trying to avoid.

Last edited:

as someone else said -- you have president's week...but the princess rundisney event is usually the last few days of February...so that brings in a lot of demand.

I don't like the changes. Our vacation point cost went up. It's not just a couple of points either. They make it difficult to figure out how many points one needs with all of these changes. :(

Also, the dates that got lowered are dates that I can't do because I can't do hardcore FL heat.

I'm happy to see more variance but of course now that will add more confusion. I'm especially happy they brought down the value to go in May/June as that primarily benefits us. One 2 bedroom or two studio units are now solidly in reach every other year. I don't think I could convince boyfriend to go more than that now that we're 5.

Works for me, but then we have enough points so a few points here and there don't affect us much. It does hurt those who bought points for a specific season and trip and now discover they will either need more points, shorter trips, or to switch seasons. But its always going to hurt someone. I don't think the changes are really significant enough to take care of 4th quarter demand, but I think they are as good as can be while remaining fair.

For me personally, this is bad for my Christmas/NYE trips, but very good for my fixed week Riviera contract. The premium has disappeared...

Now I wonder what they are going to do with any new Riviera fixed week contract calculations? I don't see how they could have the same table now as they previously did with such huge differences. As you mention your premium has disappeared and I'm sure there's several times of the year that would be true. And it's probably increased a lot for other times. Will they change the purchase requirements on any fixed week sales going forward?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter