2022 Flights Canceled - Change of Plans

Sydnerella

enough is as good as a feast
This morning I woke to the lovely email from Sun Country that due to a nationwide pilot shortage they are canceling all flights to Hawaii in 2022..... šŸ˜­ :mad:

So that left us scrambling to either change booked plans or find new flights for the surprise graduation gift we have planned for our son which includes a week at Aulani in July. With paying the rack rate at Aulani for a one bedroom villa and now flights that are about twice the cost, it's getting so much more expensive than it already was.

So now we are looking for savings opportunities to salvage this trip.

We think that we may have to shave a couple Aulani nights off and do two nights in Waikiki on arrival - hitting some of our sight seeing destinations Sat-Mon: Pearl Harbor, Swap Meet at Stadium, get our kids surf lessons at Waikiki, (not originally planned, but they would enjoy - is it really $50pp?), Leonards, Byodo-In Temple, Pali Lookout and/or Diamondhead - we are doing Lanikai another day for sunrise.

So two nights in Waikiki and then checking into Aulani for the last 5. I am just not a split stay kinda gal, but it looks like 1800-2000 in savings... Soooo, at this point it's beginning to add up

Will 5 nights at Aulani feel super short? Any tips are appreciated on Hilton or Marriott properties in Waikiki - we have rewards memberships. And any tips on the best way to tour the places above or others on the Waikiki days?

• Saturday: Preferred Flight Arrives at 1:30 - rental car pick-up by 2, what can we tour/see this day?
  • Sunday:
  • Monday: can arrive at Aulani as early as 10am - no later than 1 preferred by us

(not originally planned, but they would enjoy - is it really $50pp?)
First of all, my sympathies on all the upheaval! What a pain.

On the surf lessons, you might be able to find surf lessons for less, but I would be cautious with someone who charges less. I live at the beach in NJ and official surf companies here have all their instructors certified as lifeguards as well as carry business insurance. There are folks who aren't "official" around here, and yeah, we know them, and not one is certified nor are they carrying insurance. It's a rare thing to have an emergency, but what good lifeguards and instructors do is coach to avoid emergencies in the ocean. So, if you find a better deal, just inquire about these two items for peace of mind. (IMHO)

On the split stay, on Oahu, I don't see it as much of a problem unless you have small children who would need a dark, quiet place to nap while you are roomless. Maybe schedule Pearl Harbor for the day you switch? It's right along the way, and you can book to accomodate your hours you've listed.

Saturday: Preferred Flight Arrives at 1:30 - rental car pick-up by 2,

If you're planning to stay in Honolulu the first two nights, you might want to consider picking up your rental car on Monday in the city. You'd save on two days rental cost and hotel parking. Also, not renting at the airport could save you some $$.

Gah @Synderella, that stinks!! And I thought Delta cancelling some of my preferred connections was a pain (it WAS but Iā€™m still getting there). Sorry for that but glad youā€™re still going!!

So, a few things..
-Thirty minutes seems super sporty to me for getting out of the airport. With no checked bags and a straight-to-car type reservation, maybe. I wouldnā€™t plan anything for like 2:30 that would cost you money if youā€™re late.
-Iā€™ve not seen surfing lessons that cheap anywhere. Maybe for a big group lesson? But Iā€™d recommend budget more like $100PP just for planning purposes. And FWIW, I didnā€™t care for Waikiki for a long stay, but it was great for surf lessons and touring near that area. As long as I was looking out toward the ocean and not back toward all those buildings, I was fine LOL. Thereā€™s an ABC store (or two) right off the beach if you want to grab a snack or lunch.
-We did five nights at Aulani with two excursion days, and I thought that was perfect. I couldā€™ve stayed one more day but thatā€™s about it without being bored (unless someone gifted me a spa dayā€”I could definitely add a day for that! LOL)
-IDK about using Pearl Harbor as a ā€œtransfer dayā€ situation unless you can leave your luggage at the hotel and then swing back by for it afterwards (bell services is usually fine with that). Lots of reports of car break-ins in that area, including a DISā€™er from right on this Aulani board! I know it can happen anywhere though. Iā€™ve been reading up on the Maui crime reports lately and as another poster (on the Maui thread) mentioned, there are way more incidents of local cars being hit than tourist cars. I havenā€™t checked Oahu but you can look at their county website and find that.

Good luck with your planning scramble!!!!

Gah @Synderella, that stinks!! And I thought Delta cancelling some of my preferred connections was a pain (it WAS but Iā€™m still getting there). Sorry for that but glad youā€™re still going!!

So, a few things..
-Thirty minutes seems super sporty to me for getting out of the airport. With no checked bags and a straight-to-car type reservation, maybe. I wouldnā€™t plan anything for like 2:30 that would cost you money if youā€™re late.
Thanks for the empathy! And sorry - I meant 230 car pick-up after 130 arrival.

And because of this I wondered if we would have time to tour-see anything too far away on this arrival day.... Or is a good plan to just walk around the beach area and Kalakaua Ave on arrival day?

Please comment on this itinerary - ideas are appreciated! We have a North Shore and Lanikai visit planned another day while at Aulani.

Saturday:
330 - Check out Waikiki Beach and Kalakaua Ave
Dinner Options?? Do I need a reservation

Sunday:
Wake up early since we are coming from Midwest and wont be time adjusted:
Get Leonard's around 530-6am
630-830 Aloha Stadium Swap Meet for what I have heard are authentic souvenirs and good local eats
Head over to the east side/Diamondhead area for a coastal drive and beach stops OR the Byodo-In Temple
Back to hotel
Afternoon - 2 or 3pm surf lessons for DS18 and DD15
Dinner options?

Monday:
7am Pearl Harbor Tour - USS Arizona Memorial - tips welcome for this
1130am Late Check Out
ABC Store or Target for kitchen items
1pm Aulani
Dinner at Makahiki or Monkeypod

Thanks!

Saturday I think you can find dinner without a reservation but may need to be flexible.

I might stay in Waikiki until Tuesday and transfer then. Consider an Iolani Palace docent tour or the Bishop Museum for insights into Hawaiian history.

Saturday I think you can find dinner without a reservation but may need to be flexible.

I might stay in Waikiki until Tuesday and transfer then. Consider an Iolani Palace docent tour or the Bishop Museum for insights into Hawaiian history.
Thanks. Until Tuesday because??? Just to save more money? Or to save and do more historical touring at the palace and Bishop Museum before Aulani?

-IDK about using Pearl Harbor as a ā€œtransfer dayā€ situation unless you can leave your luggage at the hotel and then swing back by for it afterwards (bell services is usually fine with that). Lots of reports of car break-ins in that area, including a DISā€™er from right on this Aulani board!
Good point, esp. if all the luggage can't be concealed in the trunk. (I was the one who suggested the transfer day.)

Good point, esp. if all the luggage can't be concealed in the trunk. (I was the one who suggested the transfer day.)
After reading the Maui statistics, Iā€™m seriously considering doing it anyway at a location where I think weā€™ll still be able to see the car. I mean, I think a thief would want to grab a purse or a phone from a car more than half a dozen huge suitcases! But if something does happen Iā€™ll kick myself forever!

If you are hiking diamond head... We were happy doing the hike pre-sunrise as soon as the park opened... No sun to deal with on way up - nice and cool ( if you are in good shape and cruise up, you might be able to catch the sunrise ... Not us... Hehe)

Pearl is cool. If you are only doing Arizona you should have plenty of time to do the boat out to the memorial and walk the grounds... Depending on how much time you spend reading and 'soaking up' museums, you might also have time to tour the bowfin submarine/museum. The sub is right there by the Arizona memorial... You probably don't have time for the air museum or battleship as they require a bus ride... ( I guess if you 'commando tour' maybe... would be tough to make it back for 11:30 checkout)

Have fun!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter