2025 runDisney Marathon

I am going to have to make some tough calls for 2025. January-February is our busy season at work, with things really picking up the 2nd week of January. MW 2023 and 2024 fit in okay with the earlier MW dates. For 2025, I could probably swing Goofy and just head down on Wednesday or Thursday evening, and work from the resort for Thurs/Fri. But will the Dopey FOMO be too strong? Will working from the resort be too sad for almost a full week? Do I really want to shell out all that extra money over the 5k and 10k when I will have already done Dopey twice prior? :rotfl2:

Thankfully I can see how 2024 goes before I decide. Maybe the weather will be horrendous and I'll swear off WDW marathons for good :laughing:

It was not included in the upcoming race weekend registration options. It may be runnable on your own (like the normal 5k they do)
Yeah, I’ve run that a handful of times on my own. I was looking forward to the official one with characters, “real” medal, and most importantly, an excuse for another cruise :rolleyes1

Yeah, I’ve run that a handful of times on my own. I was looking forward to the official one with characters, “real” medal, and most importantly, an excuse for another cruise :rolleyes1
It could come back for 2025….but it could also go the way of the kids races at wdw. Which means we have no idea why they haven’t restarted, and if it when they ever will.

Hi everyone! I am planning on running the 2025 marathon. It will be my second marathon but my first post-baby. I had my daughter 6 months ago and am slowly increasing my mileage with a half planned this December. Anyway, we are trying to figure out our travel dates and I was wondering if it would be better to do the marathon closer to the beginning of the trip or at the end? I think I would prefer the beginning (less likely to walk too much beforehand, etc.) but I figured I would reach out to see what your experiences have been. For context, I will be going with my husband, our daughter (who will be 20 months old), and my parents. Thanks!

I was planning to do Dopey + Castaway Cay Challenge this year, but it is not being held, unfortunately. We even booked the cruise anticipating it. We've since moved to another cruise and I'm still doing Dopey. Fingers crossed it comes back for you next year.

Hi everyone! I am planning on running the 2025 marathon. It will be my second marathon but my first post-baby. I had my daughter 6 months ago and am slowly increasing my mileage with a half planned this December. Anyway, we are trying to figure out our travel dates and I was wondering if it would be better to do the marathon closer to the beginning of the trip or at the end? I think I would prefer the beginning (less likely to walk too much beforehand, etc.) but I figured I would reach out to see what your experiences have been. For context, I will be going with my husband, our daughter (who will be 20 months old), and my parents. Thanks!
We’ve done the Dopey at the beginning of our trip. With the training required, you recover fairly quickly after and I prefer not to overdo things before hand.

My vote would be for M at the beginning of the trip - walking around the parks will actually help you recover faster.

I sandwich races in the middle of my trips so I have some days beforehand that I can do pretty much whatever, and some days after to mostly walk around and get medal pictures.

I think it is better to have some days post the marathon to celebrate your achievement in the parks. As others have shared the walking around does assist in recovery. It is possible to have days in the park before the marathon and still have a good race. Just need to watch time on your feet, stay hydrated, go a little easier and may split your days up with pool time. Based on work demands I have done MW at either end of trips in the past and always had a good time. But for me it was a little more fun celebrating afterwards.

I am going to have to make some tough calls for 2025. January-February is our busy season at work, with things really picking up the 2nd week of January. MW 2023 and 2024 fit in okay with the earlier MW dates. For 2025, I could probably swing Goofy and just head down on Wednesday or Thursday evening, and work from the resort for Thurs/Fri. But will the Dopey FOMO be too strong? Will working from the resort be too sad for almost a full week? Do I really want to shell out all that extra money over the 5k and 10k when I will have already done Dopey twice prior? :rotfl2:

Thankfully I can see how 2024 goes before I decide. Maybe the weather will be horrendous and I'll swear off WDW marathons for good :laughing:
Yes
A little
Yes

As others have said, you can make either way work. My preference is marathon at the beginning if family is going to be with me. Part is to avoid the extra time on your feet before the race, as has been said. But a big factor for me is also the stress/anxiety that goes with getting ready for the races. Trying to plan expo time around park visits, not sleeping as well, etc. All of it can impact my enjoyment in the parks, so would prefer to have the park days after the races to truly enjoy the accomplishment!

As expected, Marathon Weekend 2025 has been officially confirmed for Jan 9-12th.
Ooof, that's rough. I was hoping it would be January 2 to 5 so that I could just stay down in Florida after Christmas. now it looks like I'll have to try to convince the office to let me telework remotely for a week. At least I've got a year to work on it :-)

Thoughts on booking yourself vs using a travel agent? I know some of them have bibs they sell and can guarantee registration. Any disadvantage? Are they more expensive?

Thoughts on booking yourself vs using a travel agent? I know some of them have bibs they sell and can guarantee registration. Any disadvantage? Are they more expensive?
TAs no longer have bibs so that advantage is gone. They do not charge more than doing it yourself so it's just a matter of personal preference. I like doing the planning and booking so I don't like using a TA because I lose some of that control and experience. Others don't want to be bothered and prefer the TA take care of it.

TAs no longer have bibs so that advantage is gone. They do not charge more than doing it yourself so it's just a matter of personal preference. I like doing the planning and booking so I don't like using a TA because I lose some of that control and experience. Others don't want to be bothered and prefer the TA take care of it.
Oh man, no kids races no TA bibs… stuff changed since 2018 (last MW)

Hey everyone! Crossing my fingers I get in for Dopey 2025. Does anyone know how far in advance the Swan and Dolphin reservations open up?

Hey everyone! Crossing my fingers I get in for Dopey 2025. Does anyone know how far in advance the Swan and Dolphin reservations open up?
50 weeks in advance (plus/minus a couple days, it would appear)--Marriott's booking window. Example: today you could book for checkout no later than Nov 24, 2024

50 weeks in advance (plus/minus a couple days, it would appear)--Marriott's booking window. Example: today you could book for checkout no later than Nov 24, 2024
Whoa, so I am not being crazy to start trying to plan this a year out. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter