295 bypass around Richmand and Jacksinville

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
I saw several posts (most recently by Uncleromulus) about using 295 to bypass Richmond and Jacksonville. I can't get this rout to come up on Mapquest. Can someone five me directions on how to do it from i95?

re: 295 bypass around richmond

I believe the signs says Virginia Beach (295) - instead of staying straight on 95 going into richmond, you bear left, stay on 295 and it will take you straight back to 95 (around richmond)

hope that helps, my family lives on the other side of richmond, and I take 295.

Definitely go east on I-295 around Richmond. Unlike most bypasses, I-295 does NOT make a complete circle around Richmond. Going west on I-295 toward Charlottesville will dead end at I-64. Take the east exit toward Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Williamsburg (I'll be honest, I'm not sure which the sign says, but it should have one of them :) ).

I-295 doesn't make a complete circle around Jacksonville, either (must be something about the number?), but it only makes a half-circle with ends on the north end and south end of Jacksonville.

Gee, I guess the only city 295 DOES go around is Providence, RI.

The signs are pretty easy to spot... This may help--heading toward WDW, I-295 around Richmond wll require you to bear "left". I-295 around Jacksonville will require you to bear "right".
Taking these by-pass routes will add just a few miles and a few minutes to your trip, but they should be hassle-free miles and minutes. Taking I-95 thru these 2 cities (which I usually did) can best be described as "nervewracking".

I 295 bypass is great.....but this past Sunday we drove straight through Richmond on 95 without any problems...It is probably the only day of the week to try this....

Also, if you are traveling from as far north as Washington....don't forget to look for HOV-3 lanes to take (if there are more then 3 people in your car) it saves a ton of time if the traffic is heavy...we saved at least 45mins. in the bumper to bumper traffic in this area..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter