3 Generations Take a WONDERful Cruise to Alaska - May 16-23, 2022

TinkLoverSam

DIS Veteran
I am going to attempt my first trip report in 7 years!

We took 3 generations to Alaska on the first Alaskan sailing of 2022. The cast of characters was: Me, my DH, our 2 boys DS age 6 and DS age 2, my sister (@Disney_Alli) and her hubby, and our mom and dad. The last sea day was my dad’s 69th birthday.

BE63DB9B-5E43-4561-9616-D5B38AD0024E.jpeg

Left to right we have DSis's hubby Cole/Uncle Cole, Chuck/Dad/Grandpa, Me (Mom/Samantha), DS2 Walter, DH Dad/Wes, DSis Allison/Auntie Allison, DS6 Arthur, Karen/Mom/Grandma

I was busy mom-ing so I don’t have a ton of pictures but I will try to steal some of my dad’s pictures too.

Last edited:
Day 1: Traveling to Vancouver - Saturday, May 14, 2022

This was my (nuclear) family’s first flight since Covid and my 2yo’s first flight ever!

We were flying out of Calgary to Vancouver at 10am. The flight info said to be there 2 hours early and with a stop to pick up DSis and her hubby it takes about an hour to get to the airport so we left our house at about 7am with few bumps in the road (one of which involved turning around and going back home, I don’t remember why anymore!)

But we arrived at the airport, got parked in the long-term parking on-site (actually cheaper than the park and jet nearby) and wheeled the suitcases over to the airport. We got checked in and tags printed and then headed to get breakfast.

We decided to sit down at the full serve restaurant for breakfast. It took FOREVER to get food, I think we definitely started to regret not just grabbing something at a fast food place. An hour later we finally had our food and had to eat pretty quickly to get to our gate which was luckily only about 3 gates down. After scarfing our food down and hitting the restroom we headed to the gate. We decided not to pre-board so the boys wouldn’t be stuck in the seats too long. We were sitting DH and I with DS2 and DSis and her hubby with DS6 in the row in front of us. The flight was delayed about 20 minutes after we were boarded (of course) but we soon got in the air and we were on our way to rainy Vancouver!

6CEF6DE6-313E-404E-AFC1-0BD5CA566766.jpeg

990EF050-F692-474F-A1FE-33614E0F76B7.jpeg

Once we landed we headed to baggage claim and got in touch with my parents whose flight had landed about 20 minutes before ours. Our bags were off the plane quickly and after a couple quick bathroom stops we boarded the Canada Line train to downtown. We were staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre so it was a bit of a walk from the train, but not too bad. I was reluctant to Uber with the 2yo as we hadn’t brought our car seat. We ended up taking 4 Ubers while we in Vancouver and while I didn’t love it he did sit up really well.

We got to the hotel and it took an eternity to check in! Probably 45 minutes for them to get us room keys. We ended up in rooms all together but it was crazy how long it took to check in.

Once at the room most everyone was hungry but I didn’t think the kids could handle a restaurant especially as Walter had not had a nap so the boys and I stayed in the room and had room service while the big boys (my DH, my dad and my sister’s hubby) went for a bite to eat and my sister and my mom each had a lay down in their rooms.

60CA3FE4-054F-4AA0-910F-913954799A68.jpeg

The good news is room service had wine. The bad news is Walter still didn’t nap but we got some down time in watching some TV and recharged a bit. We had dinner around the corner at Burgoo, it wasn’t bad but also wasn’t great. After dinner my mom, sister and I headed over to Shoppers Drug Mart for a few supplies like muffins and milk for the room for breakfast.

We headed to bed where we started with Walter in the crib we had requested. At about midnight he woke up so I moved him to the other double bed in the boys room (we had a 2 bedroom suite) and slept with him a bit and then went back to my bed. When he woke up again at 4am I sent hubby to go cuddle with him and I think he slept until 5 or 6.

I will continue Day 2 in another post.

Last edited:
I'm glad you're writing a trip report! I'll get mine caught up to the Alaska part soon. I think with a few reports from early Alaska, we'll be able to fill in most of the info.

Day 2: Vancouver - Sunday, May 15th, 2022

Today we planned to go to the aquarium and then to dinner with my aunt and uncle and cousins, and meet my new baby cousin.

I thought long and hard about how to get to the aquarium with a 2 year old when not staying as close to Stanley Park and without a car seat. We ended up doing 2 Ubers for the 8 of us. I didn’t love this option but especially with the very rainy weather we decided it was the best option we had.

So the weather… it was WET it wasn’t constant rain but it definitely was and stayed wet all weekend.

We had a blast at the aquarium! The boys loved seeing the fish (sadly we didn’t really see the seals and dolphins outside) but we had a really fun time!
149570BD-3B0F-4A4F-99B0-718565057124.jpeg

5968096B-4D15-4982-918B-97C1C48C3AE9.jpeg

A858ABAB-FBE7-47DC-A7BB-378216189B49.jpeg
My little guy was fascinated! We don’t have an aquarium in Calgary, just some fish at the zoo so he was mesmerized!

I’m at a convention so I’ll have to leave it here.

Last edited:
Day 2 Continued

We left the aquarium in the pouring rain in 2 Ubers again and headed back to the hotel with the faint hope that DS2 would nap… spoiler alert, he didn’t.

We chilled in the rooms for a bit and then my cousin Carl arrived with my other cousin Clay’s car to pick some of us up and take us to Clay’s house. We had asked if someone could pick us up as it was a longer trip to Clay’s house in North Vancouver and I hadn’t been planning in taking DS2 unrestrained in a car, so Carl showed up with Clay’s car with their car seat so we could go for dinner and meet Clay’s wife and his son.

We had an awesome time hanging with family that we hadn’t seen for more than 2 years. I have no pictures as I was mostly sitting on the floor with the kids and chatting with people.

It was so cool to have the next generation of cousins hanging out too!

Day 3: Boarding the Wonder - Monday, May 16th, 2022

Walter slept through the night in the 2nd double bed in the boys’ room! By through the night I mean he was up at 5am which was a little early… but it was boarding day!!!

We had muffins and yogurt in bed while watching cartoons and waiting for coffee to open. Hubby and I took the kids to the lobby Starbucks for coffee and hot chocolate at about 6:30 I believe and then we got dressed in our matching boarding shirts (now I’ve mentioned we are a multi generational family but have I mentioned that almost all of the adults have different last names?? My mom kept her last name, my sister kept hers, her hubby obviously had his own and I took my hubby’s so we had 4 last names for 8 people! I realized it was going to be a mouthful for the people announcing us onto the ship so I made shirts with our family names. I also put first names on the front with the Wonder’s logo and the crew loved them! They read them off to announce us and greater us by name as we moved around the ship that day! It was so fun!)
01192709-AB08-4123-90ED-94FAC075DB5F.jpeg
and got everything packed up and down to the lobby by about 9am.
A98C7EDD-FB27-4DC8-814A-3C4BA5D4415A.jpeg
We had pre-ordered 2 Ubers and 5 minutes before our pickup time the one I had booked dropped our trip! I quickly booked another van but instead of a minivan we got a 15 passenger van, which was a pain as it didn’t fit under Canada place so we had to get dropped off in a different location from the rest of the family and then play “where the heck are you?” to find them. We did eventually meet up with them and get our luggage dropped off and then it was off to testing which was… a gong show. They were running so late and that conference room was so packed it was almost frightening especially after 2 years of going almost no where with strict capacity limits.

2 of our 3 room had 10:15PAT and my parents room had a 10:30PAT so we all got in the 10:30 line and waited, and waited and waited. And then finally the 10:15 line was let in the building and the 10:30 line joined the end of the 10:15 line and we waited in a different place. But finally at about 11 (I think) we got into the building and we’re separated by cabin to test. We met back at the sea of chairs and waited. This was the worst wait. We were all still masking indoors (except the kids) but wow. To be there and then get turned away after all the planning was so stressful! But 15-20 minutes later we were finally Clear to Sail! A year of waiting and wondering and we were about to board!

We got to the doors where they had you exiting to return to the port and board and waited to get our bracelets and then we scurried back across the road and down outside the port building back to the other end. I snapped a couple pictures of the wonder on our way by
647811D4-F0BB-4253-9FAB-C709CD561BEE.jpeg
DF8E1BA0-9C05-4AB8-84FE-C896A78E9694.jpeg

Then we finished check in and headed to customs. We scanned passports and then headed to talk to a person. They looked at all the documents and off we went to the boarding area and then straight to the gangway to board.
2022-05-16 - Disney Wonder - Disney Wonder 2.jpeg2022-05-16 - Disney Wonder - Disney Wonder.jpeg

Day 3 - Continued

Once they announced "Welcome aboard the Andrew, Coyne, Henry, Mathieson Family!" (wow that sounds like 2 dudes with interesting last names instead of 4 last names lol) We were funneled to Azure to get the app set up (worked for everyone but my BIL, we said forget this, we will fix it later) we headed to Deck 4 for our muster station check in and then carried right on to Tiana's for lunch.

By now it was about 12:30pm I think and the kids were starving! We sat down and ordered them the kids cheeseburgers and the rest of us had some adult beverages while we looked over the menu a bit. I remember I had the pasta (PENNETTE PASTA with Tomato- Basil Provencal Sauce, Goat Cheese, and a Spinach-Pesto according to the DCL Blog which sounds correct) I think my mom had the salmon salad (GRILLED SALMON SALAD Grilled Salmon Filet tossed Iceberg, Citrus-Marinated Couscous, Spinach, Artichokes, Tomatoes, and Cucumbers) My dad had the muffuletta sandwich (MUFFULETTA SANDWICH Olive Salad, Genoa Salami, Mortadella, and Provolone Cheese on Muffuletta Bread served with a side o- Chins) and maybe my hubby did too? No idea what @Disney_Alli or her hubby ate... maybe she will chime in! I know we almost all had dessert and that the kids had their first Mickey bars of the cruise. And that I had the Welcome Aboard sundae!

We ate and relaxed and settled into the feeling of "it's really happening! we're really cruising after 2 years of lockdown, and 1 year of planning!" Then the kids needed to run around for a bit so we headed to deck 5 for open house at Oceanear's Club and as I walked down the deck on 5 I looked over and saw SMALL WORLD NURSERY WAS OPEN!! Hallelujah! With a 2yo this was the only place we could bring him for secure programming... maybe we might get a little mom and dad alone time on the cruise! So I popped in with Walter and we explored a bit. They had cars (his favorite) books and a tv with cartoons so he was pretty happy. The cast member (Tito maybe?) I was talking to told me that Walter was the first child to step into the nursery in 2 years and 3 months and that he and the other cast members were so happy to be back in their Small World Nursery uniforms. He had been in Oceanear's Club/Lab since reopening and was missing his little friends. We chatted for a bit and it turns out he had been on the Wonder for years. In fact he had been on the Wonder in 2014 when my husband and I last sailed on DCL (also to Alaska) and we remembered some of the same cruise staff (JP from Canada)!
3AA80196-0186-4293-85F2-8E6EF910353A.jpeg
After exploring the Nursery and signing up for some time the next day Walter and I headed over to the Club to see what Aunty Allison and Arthur were up to. We found them in Andy's room so the boys had fun climbing and sliding together in there for a bit before we decided to go up one more deck to deck 6 and see if our cabins were ready. They were! we loved the location on deck 6. We were a couple decks down from the pool and top deck for Glacier Day (and swimming on port days) and a couple decks up from the restaurants and only 1 deck above the kids clubs. We were in 6111, 6112 and 6113. 6111 and 6113 were inside rooms and 6112 is a 5C deluxe oceanview stateroom with verandah. Other than lacking a bit of clothes storage for a family of 4 the inside was great for us for the week.

Next we headed to the SAIL A WAVE party! It was back! We got a great spot just behind the pool and we settled in to dance
320BAF79-9DC9-4BA1-B25A-BAF262F14A94.jpeg
And sing
E284D544-D3B5-4BF1-BB09-76A99A8B2A50.jpeg
And party with the characters.

It was Walter’s first time seeing the characters so I wasn’t sure how he’d do but he seemed to love them!

After exploring the top deck a bit we headed back to Tiana’s for our first dinner. While waiting for the dining room to open I made sure to get some pictures as we went under the Lion’s Gate Bridge from the window
D3E5B857-D0F5-4B43-96BF-B25FD6C2A8A6.jpeg
B95D6C18-826F-49FE-8BB7-7820E6F9CAB2.jpeg

Last edited:
I have noticed a common theme lately in trip reports…all are choosing a sit down lunch for the first meal. Is cabanas open when you first board? We’ve done both cabanas and a sit down for first meal so I’m just wondering.

I have noticed a common theme lately in trip reports…all are choosing a sit down lunch for the first meal. Is cabanas open when you first board? We’ve done both cabanas and a sit down for first meal so I’m just wondering.
Cabanas was open when we boarded but with two small kids we wanted the ease of someone bringing us food instead of trying to wrangle two excited kids who were hungry through a buffet. Plus my parents (my mom mostly lol) don’t particularly like buffets in general so most days they elected to pick the sit down choice.

Day 3 - continued

We headed into dinner, and we met our servers Sana and Yes-something (I really should have made notes!) They were amazing. Sana really seemed to love Walter, he told us over the course of the cruise he has 3 kids at home, and one was right around Walter's age, so he really was lovely with him. I don't know what anyone had for dinner. I know we had Tiana's rotational menu that isn't Mardi Gras night. I believe both boys had Mickey Bars for dessert, and I had the Sundae. I had the Sundae for dessert almost every night; I thought the Sundaes were all really good.

After dinner we let our oldest go to the kids' club for a bit while we put the youngest to bed. There was not a show in the Walt Disney Theater on this night.

I think we brought Arthur’s pajamas and toothbrush over to my parent’s room and had him get ready for bed and read bedtime stories over there. I think ~think~ we then went for a drink while my mom kept an eye on the boys before going to bed ourselves.

Day 3 - continued

We headed into dinner, and we met our servers Sana and Yes-something (I really should have made notes!) They were amazing. Sana really seemed to love Walter, he told us over the course of the cruise he has 3 kids at home, and one was right around Walter's age, so he really was lovely with him. I don't know what anyone had for dinner. I know we had Tiana's rotational menu that isn't Mardi Gras night. I believe both boys had Mickey Bars for dessert, and I had the Sundae. I had the Sundae for dessert almost every night; I thought the Sundaes were all really good.

After dinner we let our oldest go to the kids' club for a bit while we put the youngest to bed. There was not a show in the Walt Disney Theater on this night.

I think we brought Arthur’s pajamas and toothbrush over to my parent’s room and had him get ready for bed and read bedtime stories over there. I think ~think~ we then went for a drink while my mom kept an eye on the boys before going to bed ourselves.
Is this the night Dad and Wes went whiskey tasting?

To the best of my recollection when we boarded and went to Azure dad set down his backpack with about $3000 worth of camera equipment inside. When we realized it was missing as we settled into our rooms mom and I went back to Azure to check for it. Having no luck there with the lovely CMs helping us look we went to Guest Services and gave them a description of the backpack and it’s contents to hopefully get it returned.

As I understand it after dinner Cole and I went for a walk then turned in. As you were putting the boys down Wes/dad/someone realized that whiskey tasting still had openings so they booked it and attended in Cove Café while Cole and I were oblivious and you sat with the boys.

On his (slightly drunken) way back from whiskey tasting dad took a detour to check with Guest Services and low and behold they had his bag (huzzah!).

A success first day all around.

To the best of my recollection when we boarded and went to Azure dad set down his backpack with about $3000 worth of camera equipment inside. When we realized it was missing as we settled into our rooms mom and I went back to Azure to check for it. Having no luck there with the lovely CMs helping us look we went to Guest Services and gave them a description of the backpack and it’s contents to hopefully get it returned.

As I understand it after dinner Cole and I went for a walk then turned in. As you were putting the boys down Wes/dad/someone realized that whiskey tasting still had openings so they booked it and attended in Cove Café while Cole and I were oblivious and you sat with the boys.

On his (slightly drunken) way back from whiskey tasting dad took a detour to check with Guest Services and low and behold they had his bag (huzzah!).

A success first day all around.
That sounds correct, also I think you’ve been writing too many security reports.

We like to have a more relaxed/quieter environment for our first lunch. Also, for our recent Alaska cruise, it was easier to meet up with our friends. Cabanas was an option, but we chose not to go there. No idea what we'll do on our next cruise-- will see what our mood is. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter