30+ trips to Disney, first time I ever saw this!

gracelrm

<font color=teal>Wow - you learn something new eve
We were walking to get in line for Jungle Cruise and passed the stroller parking when I saw a squirrel pilfering through the storage under a stroller. It was digging through a plastic bag scratching at everything in the bag. I showed my husband and he tried to scare it away. That squirrel wasn’t phased by the 6’4” man stomping, hissing and trying to get it to run off. The squirrel jumped out from under the stroller with an entire bag of pistachios from the stroller. It was chewing and scratching at the bag. My husband continued to try to scare it off, but it was persistent. I can’t imagine what the family thought when they went to reach for their bag of snacks or if they thought a person stole their pistachios! We wrote a note and my husband took it back to leave on the stroller, but by the time he got back, the stroller was gone. My advice to others bringing food into the parks- a grocery bag might not be safe storage for snacks!

I have seen this in the parks, and it is crazy! Those squirrels are crafty! It made me wrap everything in my stroller up in ziplock bags and then zipped in a backpack because I thought that would be very gross to think a squirrel had chewed on a snack that I was about to give my toddler!

I saw some people hand feeding a squirrel by the castle on one trip, I told them that probably wasn't a good idea, they looked at me like I was "crazy" !!

Happens all the time. The squirrels and birds are pretty bold. Particularly the squirrels at stroller parking at Journey into imagination and the birds in Frontierland.

We were at Animal Kingdom and in one of the gift shops. A squirrel came in the open door, went to the candy area, grabbed a bag of peanut M&Ms and ran back out the door. The cast member said it happens alot. The food people leave in strollers must be like an all you can eat buffet to them.

We were at Sea World a couple of years ago and there was a woman who was putting popcorn on her head trying to get a picture of the seagulls coming to take it. 10 minutes later we saw her again on her way to first aid with blood streaming down her face. I hope she got a good picture...

We were walking to get in line for Jungle Cruise and passed the stroller parking when I saw a squirrel pilfering through the storage under a stroller. It was digging through a plastic bag scratching at everything in the bag. I showed my husband and he tried to scare it away. That squirrel wasn’t phased by the 6’4” man stomping, hissing and trying to get it to run off. The squirrel jumped out from under the stroller with an entire bag of pistachios from the stroller. It was chewing and scratching at the bag. My husband continued to try to scare it off, but it was persistent. I can’t imagine what the family thought when they went to reach for their bag of snacks or if they thought a person stole their pistachios! We wrote a note and my husband took it back to leave on the stroller, but by the time he got back, the stroller was gone. My advice to others bringing food into the parks- a grocery bag might not be safe storage for snacks!
I was in that exact area many years ago when we saw a squirrel with one of those bags stuck on it's head! The poor thing couldn't get it off. Thankfully another guest went over and took it off. So be careful both for the sake of your stuff and for the animals.

Walking past the stroller parking by the seas we watched a whole gang of them methodically going through strollers and opening packages and eating them putting them back and moving on. They hopped stroller to stroller in organized fashion. It was amazing and horrifying to see at the same time

On our last trip to Magic Kingdom we came off of the People mover and we saw two squirrels sitting on a stroller, one holding a bag of popcorn and the other holding a muffin eating. The were phased by nothing, but we had a good laugh.

When we were at Festival of the Arts a couple of weeks back, we saw a lady put her plate on a table, step back a bit to take a pic and a bird swooped down and grabbed it before she took the pic.

Over on Cocoa Beach, I watched a squirrel crawl INTO (like whole body) a full-size bag of Doritos after he unrolled it with his little hands (not like pulled or scratched it open). They were in the pool and didn’t see it, so I just threw the bag in the trash when he finished. I just could not leave that for them to eat out of!

But my best in-park story was watching one runs through Epcot UNDER cover of a lady’s scooter, until she got close to some strollers, into which he jumped and started foraging. Now that’s one shifty little dude! If someone wants to start a vlog of in-park squirrel videos, count me IN for a paid subscription!! 🤣

I have personally experienced this with the birds in the Magic Kingdom. Several years ago I was coming out of Auntie Gravity’s with an ice cream cone and it was immediately removed from my hand as soon as I got outside. Not even one lick! I had never seen anything like this happen. Turned around and back in line for another cone! The critters are bold!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter