40 Days Out! Keep it??!?

Unclelude

Mouseketeer
So, booked 10 days mid September for a milestone anniversary... (This trip was one of the main drivers for joining DVC) Never been.

I've already reduced it to 8 days. I really don't want to bag the whole trip. Most of the posts seem to have a negative slanting tone about the state of the resort.

I really can't imagine it's so bad... We were in FLA for our first DVC stay last Jan and it was fantastic! HI and FL are diff animals, hopefully it's not disappointing...

I read there are grills you can use? Are they still available?

Is it so bad for first time I should cancel? I'm praying they don't bring more restrictions back.

Is it so bad for first time I should cancel? I'm praying they don't bring more restrictions back.

I think this answer depends on the person/family and what you consider a dealbreaker. My family and I went in May and we had a fantastic time. We enjoyed the luau and the character breakfast (even though it's very limited right now). We primarily cared about the beach and the pools, though, and we weren't disappointed. Ama Ama wasn't open (and still isn't), but that didn't affect us. We enjoyed listening to the band at night while eating at The Olelo Room.

Aunty's Beach House isn't open right now, so if that's important to you, that's something you'll want to keep in mind. The adult pool has also been converted to an all-ages pool, so again if that's important to you, you'll want to keep that in mind, too.

As for whether or not they bring more restrictions back, the answer to that is unknown. When we went, masks were required indoors, and outdoors when talking to cast members, ordering food, etc. The spa wasn't open, but it wasn't important to me. Only one family allowed at one time in the elevator, or up to 4 people. Because my family compromised of 3 people, others were always courteous and asked if they could ride in the elevator with us, telling us that they were vaccinated. But will it become even more restrictive than that in September? It's hard to tell. Disneyland and WDW changed their mask requirements as a result of the Delta variant. I think Hawaii and the Aulani have done a great job trying to balance the needs of their guests and public safety. Others on here will disagree.

It depends on what you're going to Hawaii for. Are you going to Hawaii to experience Aulani, or to experience Oahu itself?

We went in March when Hawaii still had strict mandates. We had just as much fun on that trip than we have on all of our other trips. We snorkeled, hiked, and visited locations that we've never been, such as Punchbowl National Cemetery. (Do not pass up Punchbowl. It's beautiful and it also has an amazing view of Honolulu.)

Disclaimer - we do not stay at Aulani, but the Marriott down the beach.

I can understand your anxiety, but please remember, the Disney beach resorts are a totally different beast than WDW and DL. They're more laid back. Don't cancel your trip! We have a week in October coming up and it will be our first time too. Look at it as a fact finding mission--- we did that with Vero. Went the first time, thought it was just OK but glad we tried it, then about a year later, the kids and hubby were all like-- when can we go back to Vero again? By then we had the lay of the land and knew exactly what we wanted to do. It's one of our favorite vacation spots now. For us, we have only have the Luau tickets bought already, and the Raptor tour at Kualoa. We plan on a Pearl Harbor/Swap meet day and the rest is hanging out and playing it by ear. We've been DVC members since 2005 and we've thoroughly enjoyed all our Disney vacations. You're going to Hawaii!

Hawaii is really a wonderful place. And has wonderful people. If you already have a trip planned, I wouldn’t cancel it, especially if you already have the DVC points to use.

Comparison is the thief of joy, so for some of those who have been there before (I speak for myself) are worried about a trajectory that Aulani is on re reduced services/ budget cuts etc.

But that doesn’t mean it’s not a very cool and beautiful hotel on an amazing lagoon. If you are not expecting table service at night and as DVC we are more chill about housekeeping- but a good time can still be had during this weird Covid times.

That is not to say that Aulani is making BONKERS decisions for a place that charges like $700 a night on the hotel side.

Thanks for all the feedback! Disappointed to hear the grills are closed... It was one of the things we were looking forward to doing 😊. ( We only have the points for hotel/studio... Plus love grilling )

We are in DVC hotel room... I'm guessing they frown on induction cooktops... Anyone ever bring one? Maybe I can convince them to bring a toaster and rice cooker up to hotel room.

I'm sure we'll try all the restaurants... just don't want to go 7 times... hehe. (Plus $$) I read the local shrimp trucks are good... I guess we'll hit a couple more of those.

Seems like should do the disney luau at least once.

It looked like you can do the snorkel thing for $45 for length of stay? Do you 'have' the gear? ... I.e. could you take it to some other beach and check out other snorkel sites?

Looks like we are still going... Hehe. Excited. Thanks for replies! ... And hey - free popcorn refills!

I think still going is the right call. The experience is diminished, but I personally wouldn't find it to be a deal breaker. And besides, if you didn't spend the points on this, what else would you do with them?

I agree with PP that Aulani in and of itself is not worth the trip alone - not in regular times or in covid times. Oahu should be the destination, and there's plenty of things that are or close to "normal" that still make it worthwhile.

Enjoy your trip!

It looked like you can do the snorkel thing for $45 for length of stay? Do you 'have' the gear? ... I.e. could you take it to some other beach and check out other snorkel sites?

You can’t take it with you. You can use it at the lagoon there but you need to check it out at their beach location and then check it back in when you are done. That’s what we did anyway. We never brought it back to our hotel room with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter