44 Years Ago

Babs Johnson

DIS Veteran
On February 22, 1980, one of the greatest moments in US sports history occurred when the US Olympic hockey team beat the favored Soviet Union.

IMG_0650.jpeg

It’s a misconception that the US won the gold medal by defeating the Soviets. There was a different format in the hockey tournament back them. The US-USSR game was merely a continuation of the round robin format.

The US clinched the gold medal by beating Finland two days later. The USSR still won the silver medal. If the US had lost to Finland in the final game, the Soviets would have won gold despite losing to the US.

I was only 17 but I have always loved watching the Olympics. I will admit, my viewing choice was always the Ice skating or skiing but I do have recollections of the hockey team "winning" when it was not expected.
It really wasn't until I saw the move MIRACLE that I had a better understanding.
Our family still watches the movie Miracle ( we love our Hockey and my GS pays) and I get chills every time Al Michaels says "Do you believe in Miracles"!

I remember the player looking for his mom in the stands.
At least, I think it was this game, and I think it was his mom.
No matter, it was very emotional to see him frantically looking up 😢

I remember it well. I’ve been to Lake Placid a number of times and have been to several of the Olympic venues, including the ice arena, now named after the team’s coach, Herb Brooks.

I remember the player looking for his mom in the stands.
It was the goalie, Jim Craig, looking for his father. (His mother had passed a few years earlier.) A fan came out on the ice and wrapped an American flag around him. That was the iconic picture.

Too bad that ABC didn’t show it live. The game started at 5pm EST but it was shown on tape delay in the evening. The result was already broadcast on radio news before It was shown on TV.

I understand ABC wanted a larger prime time audience. It was still thrilling watching the end even though I already knew the US would win.

In general the US was in a sour mood in early 1980. Hostages in Iran, the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, high inflation, etc. Plus there was still lingering resentment of the US-USSR basketball result from the 1972 Olympics.

The hockey victory was just what the US needed at the time. At least temporarily, it united the country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter