~45 days and counting...

Locomigo

Im on track to see mah dawg!
...until we venture forth to the World and enjoy all that it has to offer. :thumbsup2

A Premise... We went ~8 years ago Nov 99 during the millenium celebration just before (night prior) to turning of the parks into holiday wonderland. My son was 6 at the time and had a good time, although disappointed he wasnt able to ride everything (space mtn comes to mind). We went with my parents, sister, and aunt. Lots of people and stress, but I digress. It really hampered our (wife and I) ability to fully enjoy the trip. Once we seperated from the herd and did our own thing it was cool. Met up for meals, and enjoyed the parks alone after the first half of the trip. We stayed at ASMo, and that was far superior to an off-site trailer that a relative had on the previous trip in '91. Hmm, 8 years passed then too, wow what a pattern, I think that needs to be broken. :lmao:

FF those years and this trip (fall break) is just prior to his 14th b-day and we decided to check rates, got a screamin deal and booked it. So now I am scrambling and trying to make it the best possible for everyone.
There has been LOTS of stress at home with work for my wife, she cant put any thought or effort into planning as she is overwhelmed right now with the job. She says to me, "Give me coffee in the morning, food throughout the day, a place to sleep, my boys to be with, and no work to think about for a week, and Ill be happy."

Boy has given me his picks for attractions, food, etc so I am left to my own devices to schedule it all.
We arrive 10/12 ~1P and depart 10/20 ~5P. So early AM flight out and a late PM arrive back.
We are staying @ POP for 8 nights w/dining, and got a 7 day hopper w/WP fun & more passes. There is NO way we are getting out of Orlando without seeing IoA and riding those coasters. (I turned the boy into a coaster freak a couple years ago with a trip to Knotts Berry Farm, and Magic Mountain). So we will hit the Universal parks midway through the week to break it up a bit, and also go to the Pirate Dinner Show.

We have all of our ADRs (half of which are character meals) and planned out a basic itenerary of parks that coincide with Extra Magic Hours to hit those early openings and extended closings.

I submitted the request for the custom maps, and routed out the MUST DO attractions, so what is the best gameplan for getting through the parks and seeing everything as efficiently as possible without wearing people out?
I want the trip to be as fun as possible and minimize the stress level for us all and definitely welcome tips from you experts that do the trek annually, or more! :pirate:

In mid Oct how long is a typical wait time? I know it can vary, but I sure would like to have a general idea for planning, or should I just be spontaneous and see what we see as it comes, and grub whenever/wherever the need arises?

Fri - travel/check in - Epcot PM (Nine Dragons, boy is taking Chinese this year)
Sat - MK (Crystal Palace-brk), lnc/dnr?, Fantasia Garden/Downtown Disney
Sun - MGM (pop-brk, 50s-lnc, hollywood/vine-dnr w/fantasmic)
Mon - AK (Restaurantosaurus-brk) lnc/dnr?, MK evening
Tue - pop-brk, Universal/IoA-lnc, pirate dinner show-dnr
Wed - pop-brk, Universal/IoA-lnc, Downtown Disney - Capn Jacks-dnr
Thu - Ohana-brk, TL, lnc/dnr?, MGM
Fri - pop-brk, BB, lnc?, Epcot - Garden Grill-dnr
Sat - check bags, get passes Free for all, park hoppin etc until 1:30.

My questions are:
- Which Universal park takes longer to go through, or is it possible to hit them both in a day and use a second day to hit highlights?
- Are there rental cars on property that can be utilized for two days, IIRC there are some places near DD?
- I saw some information about birthday celebrations, how are those best utilized? Like I mentioned, this trip is my son's birthday gift and the premise for going; so I want it to be special, yet I dont want to take advantage of the hospitality.
- With a basic framework of an itenerary, is it better to let things happen and progress naturally, or schedule each attraction in? For reference, the last trip, the itenerary was VERY detailed and adhered to.
- Lanyards, shirts, etc. I have seen a lot about these things and are they really a good idea and worth the effort to have matching shirts and carry around a lanyard?

Im sure I will think of more, but we are definitely taking advantage of the DME, DDP, On property amenities, and totally looking forward to a great time.

Thanks in advance for ALL of your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter