$50 GC promo ended unexpectedly in IL!

headoflife

Mouseketeer
Called a couple of DS near me today to be sure they had passes in stock. I was told by CM's at both stores that the GC promo was pulled yesterday, unexpectedly. They had been told it would run until 11/22, which is what I had been told previously. I am really mad, as I could easily have gone and picked up passes last week. I was just holding off to see if my in-laws were joining us on our trip. I emailed WDW, but does anybody know who I could complain to about this? Also, does anyone know if th FL stores are still running the promo?

Thanks!

Muriel

Can you tell us what stores you called please. I was planning on getting passes this week (had to scrap some money together). I know the Orland Store is closed for remodeling til Tuesday (got a $10 off coupon in the mail today!) Thanks!

I called the Northbrook and Woodfield stores. If you find any still offering the promo, let me know. Thanks and good luck!

I just asked about this promo on the Theme Park board so I called our local Disney Store here in Florida and they also said it was finished yesterday, but kinda said it was "pulled" because we were at the store yesterday and they really tried to sell us on it (I was chasing my dd around at the time so couldn't get the details). It was supposed to run til Nov. 25th here.

This is so unlike Disney to be this "unorganized" even with their marketing. I guess you can expect anything from them at this time.

:(

I called the Gainsville Fl. store today and they said the promo was pulled. That is just horrible customer relations on Disneys part. Isn't there something called false advertising. I was just waiting to get paid and then sending my friend in Florida off to get tickets. I called the store at least three times to get details and each time they told me this promo was going until the weekend after thanksgiving. You can promise Disney will here from me.

I was just at my local Disney Store yesterday morning. The store manager told me about the $50 gift card and that it was being offered through 11-25. She even wrote it down on the AP info sheet (along with her name). Now I read it has been pulled! I purposely do not take extra cash or credit cards with me to the mall on any occasion. But it worked against me this time. I planned on returning this weekend to buy my AP, as well as one for hubby and our 2 kids. This year, instead of MORE toys, APs were our plan. Wow, am I bummed! I will write to Disney as well and include a copy of what the CM wrote. Is NO ONE's word good anymore? :confused: What would Walt say?

Ok, here is what I heard from a reliable source (please don't blast me, I am just relaying what I heard) The GC promotions were done in the two main hubs that people fly from to WDW (chicago and New York). Disney was trying to stimulate both their travel industry and the airlines. We are guessing Florida was done just to get local residents to go to WDW. With what happened yesterday, the airline industry is going to need a lot more then some gc to get back on their feet. This promotion was costing Disney a lot of money and they probably felt it was time to end it.

:) I received the 50 gc discount last night, after calling 3 different DS. I called last night around 6:30pm to see if the store near me had 4 adult 6 day hopper passes sill left,with the prom, and they told me that the prom ended around 1pm. I was very upset. So I called two more DS and they both told me the same thing. Right before I was about to hang up, talking to the last DS manger. I told her I was going to buy 4 adults 6 day passes. She finally told me that if I came in right now, and asked for her, that she would do it. So I hopped in my car and drove about an hour to get there. I asked for her at the desk and she sold them to me, She also let me use 2 of the 4, 50 gift card to get 100 Disney dollars. I got home with my passes in hand around 10 PM. I was so happy about getting the passes that I forgot to make my plane ticket for a trip after Thanksgiving. Last night the price was 486.00. Today when I remembered about making the res it went up to 786.00. Something about the 14 advance purchase.
Oh well, good thing it is company business.:D

I had just heard about the gift certificate when buying a pass on 11/09. When I called the Disney store in Old Orchard Mall in Skokie they confirmed the deal. When I said I would be in on Sunday the person said it could end at any time.So I bought mine on Sat and got $50 DD after a phone call. I wonder if they knew it was ending since I was told they didnt know how long it would go and could end at any time. Also got the free tee shirt too boot.:)

Cast members at TDS did not have any advance warning that the promotion would end early. All stores were informed Monday morning that the promotion was ending early. If you would like to complain to someone, your local TDS has a guest services phone number that they can give you.

I live right by the Orland Park store, and called around to 4 other stores to see what happened. And everyone I spoke to was clueless as to why Disney ended the promotion early. This irks me BIG time!
Were they trying to drum up business or just irritate customers?

I was planning to take advantage of this deal. I had already mailed the money to a friend of a friend in the Orlando area. She went in Tuesday to make the purchase and was told the promotion ended Monday. She was told it was pulled because "too many people from out of state are taking advantage of the promotion".

As that was exactly what I was doing, I guess I don't have much grounds to complain. Although it does bother me that Disney is so focused on trying to attract business from just certain areas. There are a lot more people NOT in Florida, Chicago and New York than there are in those cities.

However I understand that Disney is trying to attact people who weren't already planning to buy tickets - I was planning to buy anyway, and was trying to take advantage of a great deal. Unfortuantely I came up one day late.

Zracat - Which store did let you exchange the gift cards for Disney Dollars? I
thought the Chicago stores were not allowing this. I would like to exchange
mine for next trip.

Emily921
The DS at the FoxValley Mall. I talked to Suzann. She was real friendly. She would only let me exchange $100.00. She did not think that she could, but she tried it and the register let her. So she said no problem. Hope that helped. Good luck.

Zracat,

Thanks so much for responding! I am near the Vernon
Hills and Woodfield store. I will keep her name in
mind if I get to the Fox Valley area.

I think Disney includes a statement that their promos have a end date, but, state that they can pull them at anytime if situations warrant it. Obviously, this is another instance of people abusing a good thing.

The Orland Park store had been closed since 11/13/01 for remodeling. They reopen Tuesday 11/20/01. I held out on buying my passes until their reopening. I wonder how they will handle this. They missed a whole week of the promotion. You can bet Disney will get a letter from me!!

I did the same thing!! I was there two days before the promotion ended and asked
if they had hopper tix left. They said yes and I thought that when they reopened I would go
get them! So, I will march my fanny in there on the day they re-open and see what happens!
I worked in retail for 14 years (10 of them as a customer service mgr) and many customers pushed my buttons, so I might have to push theirs!! I'll keep you posted!

Imjuschln,

Go ahead and go in and push all the buttons you want. It was the parks that pulled the promotion not the stores, and so there may not be anything the store manager can do for you. If the manager can't honor your request get the guest service number from her and let them know in Guest Services how you feel about it. Or you can talk to the district manager if you are really unhappy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter