$504 is the rental car quote I got....can I do better?

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
This was with all taxes and charges added in for a Full size from Hertz for 10 days? That was with my AAA discount.

Is that probably the norm or is Hertz a lot more expensive? I've never rented a car before so I don't have a clue!!:)

try some of the other ones and if you are willing try priceline for a vehicle. it will give you one of the top 5.

I got a full-size from Avis through Priceline for $17/day for 14 days, 5/4 - 5/18. If you're willing to give Priceline a try, go to TravelSheryl's website, www.biddingfortravel.com and read all of the information you can on the FAQ's and in the rental cars - Orlando section and give it a try. We've used Priceline several times for hotels and rental cars and have always been satisfied. This time we've even gotten an agency right at the airport which is a real treat for us.

That's seems pretty high. I have a full size reserved for our April trip. 15 days for $380 includes all taxes. We did book this a long time ago. You could also try Dollar. Put in the FVG code in promotions (Florida Vacation Guide) and see what you get. We use Dollar whenever they have a better deal than National. Neither Dollar nor National requires a CC/deposit, so switching ressies when the rates drops is pretty easy on the computer. We rented a compact on Dollar in January for $160 all taxes included, not bad for last minute. I think you can do better and if your trip is not soon, just keep watching the boards. The rental car companies have yet to release any SPring/Summer deals and we've always taken advantage of them in the past. BTW, both National and Dollar are both located at the terminal. Good luck.

Hertz is always the most expensive in Orlando. They are not at the airport either.

I'd try Avis, Budget, or Dollar. :)

Definitely think you can do better. Alamo usually isn't that expensive either. I have never had a problem with them...well maybe one slight problem which was fairly easily resolved. I know some people really hate Alamo though. But we have always gotten great rates through them.

I used Avis from a post I saw here. The code was USA and the www.bnm.com was the site. It saved me alot of $$$. Email me if you like and I will tell you exactly what I did.

Hertz is not always the most expensive...in fact they were the most reasonable on my recent trip...i used the airlines' CDP# for a nice discount and extra frequent flier miles.

Kitty 34...

a few quesitons for you

when are you going?
do you need damage waiver???

I got a quote from National, 10 days, full size car, from April 21-May1=$338.55 including taxes. If you need damage waiver (aka insurance), that would be extra...

I got the rate with my Disney Club member ship.

I just got a rate from National for 11 days in June of $272. We are renting an SUV and got unlimited miles. We used the Disney Club discount. It saved us $70. We are thrilled at this rate. We decided to rent a car rather than use our own to drive to WDW from Iowa. I wanted to save the wear and tear on our van.

I'm going from June 5th to June 15th. I have a Disney Club card. How do you get the discount?

Jean, they never said anything about a damage waiver when I called Hertz so I don't think I had to get that.

I was surprised with our AAA membership that the quote was that high. We were thinking, having a car was going to help defray food costs but not at that amount!!!:)

You can go to www.nationalcar.com and check rates. Just put in MCO for location (it will then automaticly switch to MCOT01 for the Airport location). Put in your dates, and select your car type. The Disney Club Contract ID # is 5901600 - enter that in the contract ID space. I think they also have a coupon out for a free day, but not sure of the coupon #.

I just put in your dates and the Disney Club contract ID #, and came out with a rate of $384.99 including taxes for your dates (full size car). I also priced a premium car ($510.16) a luxury car ($575.34).

I tried it, California, and they kept telling me I have an invalid Pick-up. I did it earlier using MCO and got thru but didn't get the same quote as you. I'm anxious to try it with that code. Thanks!!!

I did it!!! Got the $384 quote!!!:bounce: That sounds a LOT better than $504!!!

I have the Entertainment card. Would there be a good discount with that??

Thanks again California Dreaming for the Code#!:cool:

You'll have to check the Entertainment book for the National Codes. I think they have a coupon in it as well. :)

Kitty,

I am so glad that you got a better rate for your car rental.

Regarding damage waiver or insurance, rental car company won't ask you to buy over the phone. When you pick up the car, they will ask you to "buy" for the proper coverage, since you cann't drive without an insurance on the rental car. Usually rental car company does not buy insurance for their cars.(Trust me, I work for a car rental company, not National though.) If you don't have a gold/platimum credit card that has damage waiver on rental, or if your own car insurance won't be able to cover a rental vehicle, you HAVE to buy it from the rental agent. The rental car insurance might cost you from $15-$25 PER DAY!!!!. It does add up. If you decline the damage waiver, and you don't have other form of insurance, if the rental car is damaged, you are liable for the whole repair cost....100%%

So, the bottom line it, ask your car rental agent about insurance (whether you need it,) make sure what type of coverage is provided by your credit card company as well as your own car insurance. Once you know what you are covered for, you won't be surprised by the extra insurance charges.....

Thanks for the tip, Jean.

So if I use my VISA Platinum I shouldn't have a problem right? Or how about my "blue" card from AMEX?:)

Hi Kitty,

My own car insurance coverage covers damage when I drive a rental car. Most insurance companies do here in MN, but you should check with your own car insurance agent to be sure. Michigan might be different.

Also, on the DC website, there is a coupon for l free weekend day you can add to your National reservation. Just put the # in the coupon box when make your reservation.

National's rates might go down after Easter...I would keep checkig their website.

Herc.

Kitty,

Not all platinum or gold visa/mc/amex have the proper coverage for car rental. So, the easiest way for you to check is to call the number on the back of the credit card. Ask the customer service rep whether your credit card has "damager waiver" for car rental....

The regular credit card does not include any protection benefit for you.

If your credit card has the protection, in order to use the coverage, you need to pay the rental using that credit card. If something happens to the car during the rental period, it will be on a reimbersal basis, which means that the rental card company might charge you for the repair, then you claim it back from the credit card company..... ask your bank for details....

Thanks again you guys for the helpful tips. Herc, I will definetly wait then til after Easter to get some final rates.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter