75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always funny when someone's opinion is not accepted by enough people that they label others as "the mob" or this place as an echo chamber. You stated an opinion which others feel is wrong and when we have shown you the opening number is the most this year. You are choosing to see what you want to.

If Barbie goes on to be a huge hit, will you also return to tell us you were wrong?
https://deadline.com/2023/07/box-office-barbie-oppenheimer-barbenheimer-1235443828/

‘Barbie’ & ‘Oppenheimer’ Fueling Mindblowing $300M+ Box Office Weekend – Saturday AM Update

"At a time when Hollywood fears that the Q3 and Q4 2023 release schedule will fall apart due to the dual SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes, the motion picture industry is reaping one of the biggest domestic box office weekends on record with Warner Bros.’ Barbie and Universal’s Oppenheimer lighting up an estimated $308M+ overall three-day. That’s the biggest weekend post pandemic easily burying the weekend when Spider-Man: No Way Home opened over Dec. 17-19, 2021 and all pics tottaled $282.9M. Per Comscore, this weekend will be the fourth biggest of all-time after Avengers: Endgame frame (April 26-28, 2019; $402M), Avengers: Infinity War‘s weekend (April 27-29, 2018; $314.8M) and the weekend when Star Wars: Force Awakens debuted (all pics over Dec. 18-20, 2015 grossing $313.2M)."

"Barbie has a lot of bragging rights beyond owning a dream house: Warners says $150M+ still for Barbie, but industry calculations believe it’s well over $161M, any way you cut it, it’s the biggest opening weekend of 2023 to date after an opening day, also best YTD, of $70.5M. Oppenheimer is eyeing $77M after a $33M opening day — just mindblowing that a 3-hour adult drama could emulate what’s akin to a superhero movie in its first installment."

[My emphasis with the orange text.]

A few days ago, the predictions were around $140-150M for "Barbie" and $40-60M for "Oppenheimer." It's turning out to be an amazing weekend for theaters.

Last edited:
Yea I don’t believe that. Yesterday you were fishing for something political most likely to report and get this thread thrown out.

Is this what you want ? To silence people and have them removed?

My post never got deleted someone just reported me for hate speech when I said nothing hateful.

You and the mob on this forum need to realize one thing. That these decisions Disney took to force this agenda has led to these layoffs and they will continue since they fear the backlash from the mob.

Yea I don’t believe that. Yesterday you were fishing for something political most likely to report and get this thread thrown out.

Is this what you want ? To silence people and have them removed?

My post never got deleted someone just reported me for hate speech when I said nothing hateful.

You and the mob on this forum need to realize one thing. That these decisions Disney took to force this agenda has led to these layoffs and they will continue since they fear the backlash from the mob.
The reason for the layoffs has been readily detailed in other threads, including one dedicated specifically to stock news. Disney invested a ton of money in their streaming platform and cannibalized their movie sales. They sent a bunch of movies that were planned for theaters directly to Disney+ and others they sent to the platform early to encourage people to sign up, because at the time investors valued streaming growth above all else. People are passing on purchasing movie tickets, on a platform that has made Disney a lot of money, and they're instead watching these movies on a platform that is still *losing* money for Disney. Meanwhile, investors recently decided that they no longer value streaming growth above all else and it's important for these platforms to actually make a profit.

On top of that, they made a massive purchase of another company that is causing them a headache right now and now they have to figure out if they have to sell off portions of their media business. Costs are ballooning and activist investors have made a push to get those under control, which required laying people off in departments where this is a problem. And it's not a problem exclusive to Disney. They're ALL trimming costs.

Meanwhile, as of right now Disney is responsible for five of the top ten box office hits domestically (this probably changes soon with Barbie). *All* of these movies are are based on prior IP, nine out of ten are sequels or remakes, despite what you've said about audiences being sick of sequels and unoriginal movies. The first completely original movie on the charts, BTW, is Elemental.

“Bored” is a charitable description of people who are constantly searching for something to be upset about haha.

The vast majority of people don’t notice nor care about this subject. The culture warriors on both sides are a vocal minority.
Well the vast majority do care because they are longer spending their dollars on Disney products and entertainment.
Please cite evidence that "the vast majority" of people "are no longer spending their dollars on Disney products and entertainment."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter