75 employees laid off at Pixar, including the director of Lightyear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to start a lot of critics are calling Barbie an "anti-men" film when that isn't true at all.
Do you have an example of it being pro-men? I mean are there any males in the movie that are positively portrayed? I think many of the people saying it is anti-men are latching on the extensive use of the word Patriarchy being used in a negative connotation in the movie. I don't know, but I think it is a very prevalent theme of the movie with the Patriarchy being called out 10+ times.

So back to your original statement what was the movie trying to say?

Do you have an example of it being pro-men? I mean are there any males in the movie that are positively portrayed? I think many of the people saying it is anti-men are latching on the extensive use of the word Patriarchy being used in a negative connotation in the movie. I don't know, but I think it is a very prevalent theme of the movie with the Patriarchy being called out 10+ times.

So back to your original statement what was the movie trying to say?

Being critical of "the patriarchy" is not being anti-male. Questioning the idea that men have the inherent right to rule because they are male or insisting that females also have influence over decision making does not mean that you hate men. Pro-female does not equal anti-male - you can be pro-both, it's just that one side happens to need help in many regards pertaining to social status.

Full disclosure: I have not seen the movie.

So, does anyone have an example of the movie being "pro both"? I believe something could be "pro both", but we were specifically talking about the Barbie movie here.

I have a daughter in electrical engineering school, so I certainly am pro-female for my daughter in a field of study dominated by males. I also think she is really smart to choose this field, as females who get engineering degrees are in super high demand in today's workforce.

Being critical of "the patriarchy" is not being anti-male. Questioning the idea that men have the inherent right to rule because they are male or insisting that females also have influence over decision making does not mean that you hate men. Pro-female does not equal anti-male - you can be pro-both, it's just that one side happens to need help in many regards pertaining to social status.

Full disclosure: I have not seen the movie.
So a follow up question, would being critical of the Matriarchy in the Barbie movie be seen as anti-female?

So, does anyone have an example of the movie being "pro both"? I believe something could be "pro both", but we were specifically talking about the Barbie movie here.

I have a daughter in electrical engineering school, so I certainly am pro-female for my daughter in a field of study dominated by males. I also think she is really smart to choose this field, as females who get engineering degrees are in super high demand in today's workforce.
Just go see the movie and figure it out for yourself. It's not going to kill you to watch it. We can't discuss it here without spoiling it for people. Yes, there are examples of males in a positive light in the movie. But it's a movie about women, for women, from a female director/writer. You can absolutely watch it and enjoy it because it's an enjoyable movie. If you get triggered by the word "patriarchy" put in a negative way (both male and female POV) then I guess sit this one out. But it is done in a very smart manner that shouldn't take away from the enjoyment of the film, unless you bring your pre-existing bias into the movie. You seem to have a history of that and you're missing a lot of a pretty good content because of it.

So a follow up question, would being critical of the Matriarchy in the Barbie movie be seen as anti-female?

Well, there is no "matriarchy" in modern society, so I don't think that would even be a thing. That said, if society were run by a matriarchy, being critical of it would not inherently be anti-female. Certainly it could depend on how it's done (as it could with anti-patriarchy messaging), but generally no. Calling out inequity does not mean that you are against one side completely - it means you want to see things more equal.

Just go see the movie and figure it out for yourself. It's not going to kill you to watch it. We can't discuss it here without spoiling it for people. Yes, there are examples of males in a positive light in the movie. But it's a movie about women, for women, from a female director/writer. You can absolutely watch it and enjoy it because it's an enjoyable movie. If you get triggered by the word "patriarchy" put in a negative way (both male and female POV) then I guess sit this one out. But it is done in a very smart manner that shouldn't take away from the enjoyment of the film, unless you bring your pre-existing bias into the movie. You seem to have a history of that and you're missing a lot of a pretty good content because of it.
Yeah, probably going to pass on this one. It's obviously not made for me, and I am perfectly fine with that.

WB knocked it out of the park with their target demographic on this one (Women and Mom's)......so I am proud a studio made something Barbie fans like.

I just wish Lucasfilm would make something this Star Wars fan likes at some point in the future.

Last edited:

Well, there is no "matriarchy" in modern society, so I don't think that would even be a thing. That said, if society were run by a matriarchy, being critical of it would not inherently be anti-female. Certainly it could depend on how it's done (as it could with anti-patriarchy messaging), but generally no. Calling out inequity does not mean that you are against one side completely - it means you want to see things more equal.
Barbieland in the movie is run by a matriarchy and it is criticized in the movie without it being "anti-woman".

Hi, I am mexican with mexican family members and friends that are so pale they look transparent and all have black black hair. SO now what?

This disboard friends is a perfect example of internalized racism. Which I reported, so hopefully something can get done.
Yes, many of us are pale, mostly on the Spaniard side. You are missing the point and I will not argue about it.

Yeah, probably going to pass on this one. It's obviously not made for me, and I am perfectly fine with that.

WB knocked it out of the park with their target demographic on this one (Women and Mom's)......so I am proud a studio made something Barbie fans like.

I just wish Lucasfilm would make something this Star Wars fan likes at some point in the future.
Literally impossible. Star Wars "fans" hate Star Wars.

Disagree completely. Mando season 1-2 were universally loved by critics and fans alike. With incredible viewership numbers on Disney+ and trended on social media for weeks. No one wants to hate Star Wars, they want to love it.

When you give us garbage, yes we are passionate and will hate it though. Obi-wan, and Boba Fett were simply garbage. Mando 3 was garbage.

No, I am not. You are trying to say a hispanic girl should not play Snow White because she isn't paper white. You literally said Snow Brown. Us mexicans aren't a monolith. Say what you mean instead of trying to talk around it.
She doesn’t meet the profile and fans don’t want to see that.

The fan base was built on an image if you change the image the some fans won’t follow. Don’t be surprised if that movie also fails because people want to forcibly change the story.

She doesn’t meet the profile and fans don’t want to see that.

The fan base was built on an image if you change the image the some fans won’t follow. Don’t be surprised if that movie also fails because people want to forcibly change the story.
Hi, it's me. A Snow White fan. Wanting to see it. Don't presume we are all racists/ colorists.

Yay, we've reached the part of the thread where people declare their opinions as fact again.
Some people lose sight that they are getting all worked up over a children's movie that they are not obligated in any way to see. I miss when people would just say "vote with your wallet" and move on. That's the exact amount of energy that you should be spending on caring about, and I can't emphasise this enough, getting triggered over the casting of a children's movie.

Hi, it's me. A Snow White fan. Wanting to see it. Don't presume we are all racists/ colorists.
Look at how you are labeling things just because fans don’t want to see the their favorite stories change. So if people don’t want to see it change into something it’s not it’s racist?

The bigger group has spoken with their dollars and the loud smaller group can keep pushing for this stuff but Disney will continue to cut staff to meet the demands of the smaller group which in the eyes of investors is not making money therefore they will silently push away from this agenda like many other corporations are doing right now.

Look at how you are labeling things just because fans don’t want to see the their favorite stories change. So if people don’t want to see it change into something it’s not it’s racist?

The bigger group has spoken with their dollars and the loud smaller group can keep pushing for this stuff but Disney will continue to cut staff to meet the demands of the smaller group which in the eyes of investors is not making money therefore they will silently push away from this agenda like many other corporations are doing right now.
ok, explain what you mean by saying the actress doesn't meet the profile then if you don't mean to imply that what makes her unfit to play Snow White is the color of her skin (which would be racist/colorist). Once you do I will apologize if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter