• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

8 days at Anaheim Trip Report

darren123

Mouseketeer
Wednesday: Arrived at Lax in 12 1/2 hours from Brisbane, flew with V Australia, the flight over was very comfortable more leg room and wider seats did not feel cramped at all. Great in-flight entertainment and food they also have a Ladies only toilet plenty of drink runs and snacks the aircrew was very good, we did have a little bit of turbulence over and back there was no shaking overhead compartments and usual noises like the older planes take off and landing were very smooth, there is also a USB port to charge your phone etc. After Customs say no more we went to Anaheim by Greyline Disneyland Express Bus, stayed at the Alpine Inn it is a good hotel it is old looking, very clean, comfortable and great staff it was central to what we needed a 10 minute walk to Disneyland and a block from the car rental even through there is alamno next door. They gave us an early check in had a shower and headed over to Disneyland it was not crowded at all mostly walk on all day started to get tired we went home at 6pm.

Thursday Rope drop at DCA headed straight to TSMM waited 10 minutes within 2 hours we did TSMM x 2 Screaming 5 times, ToT about 5 times headed home about 12 for lunch and a sleep then over to Disneyland the only FP we used was to Indiana Jones.

Friday was our Anniversary so we had a Character Breakfast at Minnie and Friends after a big breakfast to settle we sat and just enjoyed the park had the afternoon nap and back to the park for parades and the fireworks.

Saturday went for a bus ride up to Marshalls and Disney Discount Shop most of our clothes now we have gotten from Marshalls such a great place to shop spent about 3 hours just looking around got our Granddaughter a pair of Nike shoes for $20 my daughter paid $100 here, Got a few bargains at the Disney Discount Shop some of the stuff was from Halloween it is a hit or miss with the clothing there. Went to Disneyland about 3pm and stayed until 11 when it closed must say it really starts to get cold about 5 my Wife had to wear 3 jumpers to keep warm, I had a jumper on it was cold but not that unbearable it was nice to get a hot chocolate to warm up.

Sunday was a non Disney day went and picked up the car hire from Hertz and up to Magic Mountain for the day if you love rollercoaster’s this is the place to go it was again mostly walk on, X2 had about a 20 minute wait compared to the 2 hours we were inline a few years ago the park was not crowded at all spent 6 hours there got about 20 rides in for the day very happy with that, then back to Anaheim we went down the road from the hotel to Food 4 Less and brought some more food a bottle of Jim Bean 750 ml US $13 make you want to cry, Food 4 Less is open 24/7.

Monday return the car and did the washing and caught a bus to Knotts Berry Farm got there about 11 did all the rides and done by 1.30 there was very few people around all rides were walk on and enjoyed a Mrs Knotts Famous Chicken Dinner too big to eat in one sitting, doggy bag please.

Tuesday MM went straight to Peter Pan was only a 8 minute wait was able to go rides we have never been on before.

Wednesday our last day checked out asked the hotel to hold our bags then off to Disneyland and DCA caught the 4.45 bus to LAX for our 10.30 flight home.

Some thoughts
I would not recommend going to Knotts Berry Farm with young children by public bus as both times now we have had encounter a few mental patience’s that catch the bus with a carer and they can be very loud.
Used the ATM outside DCA and did not have to pay a fee to withdraw money.
Took my GPS with me.
Jan/Feb is low season and Disneyland was crowded on Friday and Saturday.
Was able to ride Snow White, Toad, Peter Pan, Alice all within 1 hour.
Cold.
We had a very good time and looking forward to going in December with our son.

Hi Darren

sounds like you had a great trip cant wait for mine in August so excited.

Hi Darren

Thanks for sharing, and the info about Marshall's. I'm looking forward to being able to purchase heaps at good value when we go away.

Darren, glad to hear you had a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to share the details. All the little tips help those to follow!

Hi Darren,
I enjoyed reading your trip report. Looking forward to another for your December trip!

Thanks for your kind words

One thing that is on my mind is that whenever we said Hello to a fellow Australian there was no response I was ingored or just a quick a nod this happened aleast 5 times, I found that to be the only disapointment on our Holidays. Or maybe it is just us too friendly and other people being cautious. I always wear my Holden shirts to show I am an Australian and mostly get get asked by Americans are you Australian which opens up into a talking for awhile.

Thanks for your kind words

One thing that is on my mind is that whenever we said Hello to a fellow Australian there was no response I was ingored or just a quick a nod this happened aleast 5 times, I found that to be the only disapointment on our Holidays. Or maybe it is just us too friendly and other people being cautious. I always wear my Holden shirts to show I am an Australian and mostly get get asked by Americans are you Australian which opens up into a talking for awhile.
To be honest...this is your first mistake if you want to talk to me.
I cringe at those who wear all that kind of stuff. One MM we were waiting in the Peter Pan queue and I first heard the accent and then saw the Cricket shirts. One was to do with the Ashes or something. :rolleyes:

I don't need nor desire to wear anything like that. I have MUCH MUCH more fun playing the 'where are you from' game after someone hears the accent because we started talking for another reason eg when at a checkout or asking for directions etc.

I'm glad you had a good time though and I really wouldn't let this get you down. :thumbsup2

I always wear my Holden shirts to show I am an Australian and mostly get get asked by Americans are you Australian which opens up into a talking for awhile.
My DH has Holden, Socceroos, and Bulldogs (league) t-shirts which he is taking with him, same as previous trips. He often got a g'day from fellow Australians, but more in LV than DL!

I do not wear my Holden shirts at Disneyland Mostly when we fly out and in and when we go shopping on the bus. I will not wear a Disney shirt at another theme park for Knotts I have a plain shirt for Magic Mountain I wear my Movieworld shirt as they have the loney tunes theme. No it does not get me down it just makes me wonder why some Austalians just do not say Good day. It made me laugh today when the radio was playing the LA top 25 and what is happening in LA just like it was down the road.

Hey Darren123. We always say G'Day to any Aussies we see. It's always fun to see what part of Oz they are from. We even met some Aussies from Sydney in a youth hostel in Germany that turned out to be neighbours of good friends of ours (living in Sydney). Just remember - not all Aussies say hello to us in Australia either. No reason to expect anything different in another country :)

Thanks for the trip report, Darren. Sounds like you had a great time :).

My boys will be wearing their Aussie clothes at Disney because that's all they wear! Be it cricket,AFL, soccer - they love it all. They both have Australia tshirts and boardshorts and they've already said they're going to wear those in America. If that means we're shunned by other Australians, then so be it.

I don't get why Australian's would shun each other for wearing their Australian clothing. Why not be proud of your country. Americans love aussies!!

My DH *always* got comments from other Aussies when he wore his Collingwood cap!

Mostly jokes about Collingwood, the usual stuff he cops here.

However I did find that one of the security bag checkers at Disneyland (her name tag said she was from Sydney), was the rudest person we encountered at DL. And luckily (not) for us, we seem to have ended up in her line on both of our recent trips.

I don't get why Australian's would shun each other for wearing their Australian clothing. Why not be proud of your country. Americans love aussies!!
I am VERY proud of my country but I show that by partaking in the cultural events and intellectual pursuits we have. I have travelled around our entire mainland. I tell American and Canadian and British friends about what Australia has to offer and help them when they are making plans.
You can also see in my signature my favourite food is pretty darn Aussie :goodvibes

The things that have been mentioned are more to do with WHAT they are. I referred to the post which said "I always wear my Holden shirts to show I am an Australian"
I don't like Cricket. I don't like AFL. I don't like Rugby League. I don't like Holden cars.
So I don't like any clothes referring to these sports...or those cars. I cringe because I don't like these things...and I don't think they are what should represent Australia.

If you wear something tasteful that incorporates the flag then that's just fine with me :thumbsup2 and if you wear Ripcurl clothes then :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

As for Americans...I have no comment...

Queenie82 it is fair enough that you do not like cricket, holden, afl or rugby league and if that is not what represents Australia to you great. But I was a little taken aback at the fact that Australians wont say hi to each other if they are wearing that clothing. Cricket, holden, afl and rugby league are a huge part of australian culture whether you personally like them or not.

I personally do not like baseball however if I see a fellow american with a baseball shirt on I would gladly have a conversation. I am an american that married an australian and all the americans I know love australians!!

Queenie82 Ripcurl thumbs up you say see that is the same as me wearing my HOLDEN shirt I am not into beach or a sports but a car person. That what makes us Australian by our different likes, I understand what you mean and I was amazed that some Australians just would not say hello we did have same good talks with some, there was a man we meet at the airport who lived 3 streets away from us and was going to Disneyland small world. One night waiting for the fireworks an American family sat next to us at the flagpole we talked for an hour it was great learning from them.

I personally do not like baseball however if I see a fellow american with a baseball shirt on I would gladly have a conversation. I am an american that married an australian and all the americans I know love australians!!
I didn't say I would speak to them...but I won't start a conversation with them...
I don't randomly start a conversation with people on the train...so what is suddenly different here.

Queenie82 Ripcurl thumbs up you say see that is the same as me wearing my HOLDEN shirt I am not into beach or a sports but a car person. That what makes us Australian by our different likes, I understand what you mean and I was amazed that some Australians just would not say hello we did have same good talks with some, there was a man we meet at the airport who lived 3 streets away from us and was going to Disneyland small world. One night waiting for the fireworks an American family sat next to us at the flagpole we talked for an hour it was great learning from them.
I'm just not into random small talk. We do Disney commando style. I'm tired and usually thinking ahead of plans or reminiscing on events of the day or taking note of the details in my surroundings when I'm waiting for something.

If you ask me something I will have a conversation...but I just don't see a need to talk to someone just because they are Australian.
What I do sometimes do is if I see someone wearing an Anaheim ducks shirt I'll say go ducks. But that is about the sum of it.

[BTW I don't like surfing either...but I would rather someone buy a ripcurl rash shirt than an another brand as it is supporting an Australian company.]

Fair enough you are not going to start up a conversation on your vacation that is absolutely your choice. The OP originally stated that what he found was
whenever we said Hello to a fellow Australian there was no response I was ingored or just a quick a nod this happened aleast 5 times, I found that to be the only disapointment on our Holidays.

This was the first line of your post in response

To be honest...this is your first mistake if you want to talk to me.

You may not have meant that you would ignore him if he said hello wearing a Holden shirt but it kind of sounded that way to me.

Anyway...

I do have a question if you don't mind. :)

How did you find the Character Breakfast at Minnie and Friends?
We did so much WDW dining I vetoed eating here in January despite the number of Characters...but after talking to an American friend who went there for her birthday I'm thinking maybe I should?
So I was wondering your thoughts on the Character experience? Are there too many characters do you think? Do you get much time with them before they move on?
Is the food good?

Nice to see some reports on DL and DCA I've only been to DL once and have always preferred WDW. Probably because I've been there many more times, I've been so spoiled like that. :rolleyes1

I figure since I'm stuck in this dust bowl a state over I might learn to love DL especially with "more" now with DCA which was not open when I went years and years ago. So I got to learn the inside outs of DL and DCA like I know so many about WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter