8 Facts about Christmas

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran

1. The first Christmas crackers were known as ‘Bangs of Expectation’​

p07xs7wc.jpg

Crackers came about because confectioner Tom Smith needed a way to market French-style sweets wrapped in paper. The story goes that he was inspired to add an explosive element by the sight of a log crackling on the fire. But in reality, it was his brother who came up with the idea, possibly inspired by magic tricks he’d witnessed while working in the music halls.

Launched in the late-1840s and known as ‘Bangs of Expectation’, Tom Smith’s crackers sparked a whole new Christmas custom, later evolving to include jokes, hats, gifts and jewellery. The company still exists today, and supplies crackers for the royal family each Christmas.

2. Victorian Christmas cards were the stuff of nightmares​

Christmas cards were invented by Henry Cole in 1843, and by the end of the century everyone was sending them. But the festive illustrations favoured by the Victorians were far more wild and weird than the penguins and snowmen that adorn our cards today.

Artists produced such unusual images as: a dead robin, children riding flying bats, a man being attacked by a bear, a mouse riding a lobster, and two small children being harassed by a giant wasp. The cards were treated as works of art, being displayed in exhibitions and even critically reviewed.

p07xry4p.jpg

3. Beer was once a popular present for young boys​

The tradition of Christmas gift-giving seriously took off during the Victorian era. Whereas before presents were the preserve of the privileged, in the 19th century, everyone got in on the act. The most popular gift between Victorian adults was fruit. They also gave each other books, sparking a surge in seasonal publishing from authors keen to increase their sales.
For children, the rise of mass production meant that toys as Christmas gifts were now marketed to families of all levels, not just the wealthy. Alarmingly, in the early 19th century, beer was also a popular present for young boys. Gifts would be put in stockings, left under the tree or placed by the fire, but weren’t wrapped in paper until the 1870s and 1880s.

4. Our Christmas tree tradition came from Germany​

Christmas trees became incredibly popular during the Victorian era and are often associated with Prince Albert, who enthusiastically embraced the tradition. However, the idea actually first came to Britain from Germany with Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III, who hung baubles and gifts on a yew tree.

One thing the Victorians did give us is the practice of putting a star or an angel on the top of the tree. People in the 19th century also took to decorating their houses with foliage such as holly and ivy. This may have been a reaction to the industrial revolution, which had pushed millions of people away from the countryside and into urban living.

5. The idea that Coca Cola first dressed Father Christmas in red and white is a myth​

Father Christmas has been part of British culture and folklore for centuries, appearing in various guises as a jolly festive spirit, symbolic of feasting and celebration. Over the years, he’s been depicted in almost every colour, from brown, green and yellow to reflect nature, to purple and gold. In the Victorian era, he was often depicted in red and white. So, while Santa Claus may appear clad in red in early Coca Cola ads, this isn’t where the image originated.

6. Mince pies were originally shaped like coffins​

Victorian mince pies bore minimal resemblance to the sweet pastry treats we enjoy today. Filled with a mix of meat, fruit and spices, they were oval-shaped to represent either a coffin or the manger of the baby Jesus.

7. Queen Victoria’s Christmas dinner was sent to the Isle of Wight by train and royal yacht​

The royal family’s festive feast was as lavish as you’d expect, including beef, a boar’s head, turkey, goose, plum pudding and mince pies, all served on gold plates. Oddly though, the food was all cooked in Windsor before being transported for three hours by special train and yacht to Osborne House – Queen Victoria’s holiday home on the Isle of Wight. Whether it was still hot when it reached them, we don’t know.

8. A temporary London kitchen fed 22,000 people on Christmas Day​

The idea of being kind to others at Christmas was very important to the Victorians. With millions of people living in poverty in major cities, temporary kitchens sprung up to offer food and cheer to the poor and homeless. In London in 1851, volunteers took over Leicester Square, decorating it with flags, flowers and festive lights. They set up a Christmas kitchen that dished out food including roast beef and rabbit pies, goose, potatoes, bread, biscuits, chestnuts, tea and coffee. It fed 22,000 people and got through 5,000lbs of plum pudding.

My mother’s recipe for mince included beef and pork in addition to fruit and spices. I did not like it at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

"St. Nicholas ("Santa") was a Greek/Turkish Catholic bishop who lived from 15 March 270 – 6 December 343. He is the patron saint of children, coopers, travelers, sailors, fishermen, merchants, broadcasters, the falsely accused, repentant thieves, brewers, pharmacists, archers, pawnbrokers, unmarried people, prostitutes, Prilep, Aberdeen, Galway, Albania, Russia, Greece, Hellenic Navy, Liverpool, Bari, Siggiewi, Moscow, Amsterdam, Lorraine, Royal School of Church Music, Duchy of Lorraine, students in various cities and countries around Europe, and the Russian Navy. ".

He was also known for being of wealth and distributing it to the poor. The Santa gift giving tradition comes from not only the 3 Magi giving Jesus gifts but also because St. Nick helped (according to legend) three poor women not become prostitutes by secretly giving the family bags of gold to pay for their wedding dowries.

He also is buried in the Basilica di San Nicola (Bari, Italy). Just an FYI, for those who ever want to visit Santa's holy burial site.

Last edited:

LOVE #8! It’s my dream to be able to spend Christmas Day serving at a mission like that and there are several in our city. :cloud9:

I’ve spent my entire adult life being largely responsible for “making” Christmas for family and friends and that’s satisfying on a certain level. But we all live in relative abundance so it often feels a little self-focused and over-the-top. Our DS is grown now and our parents are all gone. Maybe next year is the one where I get the nerve to declare my intentions and and actually do it. :goodvibes

LOVE #8! It’s my dream to be able to spend Christmas Day serving at a mission like that and there are several in our city. :cloud9:

I’ve spent my entire adult life being largely responsible for “making” Christmas for family and friends and that’s satisfying on a certain level. But we all live in relative abundance so it often feels a little self-focused and over-the-top. Our DS is grown now and our parents are all gone. Maybe next year is the one where I get the nerve to declare my intentions and and actually do it. :goodvibes
That's a lovely idea, @ronandannette!

... I’ve spent my entire adult life being largely responsible for “making” Christmas for family and friends and that’s satisfying on a certain level. But we all live in relative abundance so it often feels a little self-focused and over-the-top. Our DS is grown now and our parents are all gone. Maybe next year is the one where I get the nerve to declare my intentions and and actually do it. :goodvibes
Doesn't have to be an all-or-none. Maybe 5 years ago my mom announced that she isn't going to be in charge of big family get-togethers any more. She specified, saying she won't host, won't assign tasks, and won't cook a turkey or a ham. But she will always attend and contribute to the family table ... she just won't sit in the driver's seat. We're all fine with this.

Doesn't have to be an all-or-none. Maybe 5 years ago my mom announced that she isn't going to be in charge of big family get-togethers any more. She specified, saying she won't host, won't assign tasks, and won't cook a turkey or a ham. But she will always attend and contribute to the family table ... she just won't sit in the driver's seat. We're all fine with this.
My people would all be fine too, I’m sure. They’re all lovely and can figure things out. Heck, a few might even be relieved. :goodvibes It’s just a matter of making the decision and doing it, instead of just letting the inertia of familiar routines prevail.

Why not both? You can volunteer on Christmas and do your family/friend celebration on another date, or vise versa.

When I was growing up my dad would put the Christmas turkey in the oven and then we’d go to this clubhouse (never found out the group associated with it) decorated for Christmas that had had drinks and snacks set out.

There were sign up sheets there for different places to volunteer at that day. It was very popular and all of the places got lots of volunteers. My dad dressed up as Santa to bring extra cheer. He visited lots of charities as Santa including a children’s hospital and a home for kids who had AIDS. It was lots of fun and we felt like we made a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter