9:25 pm flight from MCO to Toronto with kids?

But, in fairness, the whole GTA had an ice storm this weekend. Schools were even closed on Monday, so this weekend's experience isn't normal.
You're right...the point being that winter weather causes delays no matter the time of day.

Just this past March we had a late Friday flight (around 9:30pm) from MCO to Toronto the day we got off our cruise. On Saturday we would then fly to Atlantic Canada. Just after suppertime the day of our flight out of MCO we started getting flight delayed messages, we got maybe 4 or 5, I can`t remember exactly but the last time we had was leaving MCO at 12:05am. Then around 11-11:30pm the flight got cancelled. The weather was fine in both Orlando and Toronto, I think the delays had something to do with construction at the Toronto airport and we heard that they wouldn`t accept incoming flights past 1am and we would have only gotten there around 3 or 4am. In our case there was bad weather in Atlantic Canada so we ended up in Orlando until the Sunday. Now I have to say that an extra day in Orlando isn`t hardship but it also meant only getting home late on Sunday night and I was starting a new job the next day and the kids were returning to school. Other people from our flight who were going straight to Toronto were able to fly out the next day so it wasn`t so bad for them. I booked that flight due to prices but if I had had a choice to book a good flight the day following the cruise for nearly the same price, I would have taken it for sure. To have that whole day after the cruise to do whatever we wanted in Orlando would have been nice. We ended up rushing to do some things because we were afraid to run out of time before having to head to the airport. However, if there is nothing much you plan to do during the day, then like other posters have said, a room day room at the hilton would be a really good solution.

You're right...the point being that winter weather causes delays no matter the time of day.
It has nothing to do with the time of day

You are choosing not to accept my point and that's fine by me. But a flight leaving Orlando making it's first flight of the day at 6:00am, that arrived the night before, has a far less chance of being delayed compared to a 9:30pm departure from Orlando, that has made 2 or 3 trips out of a snowy Toronto airport, before getting to Orlando.

You are choosing not to accept my point and that's fine by me. But a flight leaving Orlando making it's first flight of the day at 6:00am, that arrived the night before, has a far less chance of being delayed compared to a 9:30pm departure from Orlando, that has made 2 or 3 trips out of a snowy Toronto airport, before getting to Orlando.
I'm not, not accepting your point. I have background in the airline industry. Sure, if a particular aircraft has experienced a few delays over the course of their day it can (but not necessarily) get later as the day goes on. What you may not know is that built into the daily schedule are security stops, additional gate to gate times, maintenance stops and a couple of other things. Those items, along with other factors, allow for time to be made up... if the carrier chooses to make up time. Generally speaking not a lot of aircraft sit on the ground over night waiting for the morning load. Every minute they sit on the ground is a zero revenue minute. So it's not fair to say that the 6am flight has a better on time record.

Ok this is freaky, this same flight just got $1200 more expensive for my family now that March break flights are out. ???

Ok this is freaky, this same flight just got $1200 more expensive for my family now that March break flights are out. ???
Double check your dates. I accidentally booked a rental for Feb once when I wanted Mar. Luckily, I wasn't out of pocket and was able to change it. But it's easy to do, as Feb and Mar generally have dates that fall on the same day of the week and they are next to each other.

Anyone know how to find out how many seats are left in a particular flight?
Oops, sorry for the double post....

You mean for the flight in general? You can check the seat availability to see if there are still a lot of seats left, but it won't tell you how many seats at a certain price.

We have done it two trips in a row now. I avoided it for years but actually really like it! The kids are 5 and 10, the 5 year old slept and was super cranky to wake up when we landed but she perked up enough to get through the airport. The 10 year old is stubborn and refused to sleep :). We went right to bed when we got home, leaving all our stuff for the next day. We let the kids sleep in until they were ready to wake up the next day and brought them to school at lunchtime. I would do it again. The casual approach to the day leading up to the flight home is awesome, we had lunch at Chef Mickeys and went to Disney Springs for last minute shopping and still made it back to the hotel to catch the ME with lots of time.

Check your flights, last time that happened to me the flight was cancelled a week later... very annoying! It changed from direct to connecting.

Anyone know how to find out how many seats are left in a particular flight?

I usually do a mock booking and select seats to see what is still available, doesn't tell you exactly since not everyone pays to select a seat of course, but gives a good idea I think.

Well, I'm booked on this flight so no going back now! Was stalking the prices, saw them go up, down, up down, was giving myself a heart attack waiting for my westjet m/c to post in a couple of days to get more rewards dollars, but this morning the flight was the lowest it has been so snagged it without those extra WJ dollars. I didn't go for the 7:35 am outbound flight but instead the 9:45 am one, and we're trying the late night flight with two recovery days after. Total using two westjet companion vouchers and the westjet dollars we had, is 1810$, so about 362$ each for the 5 of us. I can live with that.

Now I shall stop stressing about the flight and promise myself not to look anymore!!!

Since we're travelling with children, Westjet booked my seats right away for free so we'd all sit together 5 across and linked all 3 reservations (using travel vouchers plus rewards dollars meant I had to pay in 5 different chunks, so weird). Seats are at the back of the plane, which does not bother me, and if 24 hrs out when I get to check in there are seats further forward, I might change. As long as I know my kids are close, I'm good. Pity the poor soul who gets that 6th seat next to my youngest, hahaha!

So glad I snagged the flights the other day - it's gone up another 1300$ again, even for the 7 am departure!!! whoa!

I know, I know, I said I wouldn't look, but it's a happy find, not a frustrating find, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter