9 days on the dining plan, thoughts and reviews

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
Ok, I hope I can help someone. I just did not have time on our trip to take pictures and record everything so I am just going by memory! Sorry

It was:
Me (child at heart), husband (36), twin sons (9), twin boy/girl (6), grandma and grandpa.

We were on the dining plan. So 4 adults and 4 children for 8 nights

We arrived at the Caribbean resort on Saturday, Dec. 2nd. We shared some counter meals at the resort dining. We used about 5 counter credits. Food was the usual!

1) That evening we had reservation at Ohanas. We arrived at the Polynesian Resort about an hour early to look around. I really thought it would be more “Christmasy.” It was beautiful, though. Ohanas was very good and it was sooooooo much food. The games were fun. The only complaint I would have is the turkey was dry. The beef was the best. None of us cared for the sausage either. But everything else was delish! We used 8 table services.

Day 1 was our day at Animal Kingdom. It was very warm outside. We had a grand gathering Safari and meal that evening. We ate at Flame tree barbecue for lunch. It is always good food. Not Texas barbecue but good~ We used 7 counter services. Mom and I shared and glad we did!

1) That evening was the grandgathering event. I will elaborate more if anyone is interested! It was fun but on the safari most of the animals had gone in. That was disappointing to me. The food was wonderful and very gutfuls! They let us take whatever desserts were left on our table home (or hotel ha!). This event took 16 table credits.

Day 2 was a day at Epcot. For lunch we had a counter service at the Electric Umbrella. Everyone really liked the hamburgers here! They had a smoke flavor! Hope that was on purpose! Ha! We used 6 credits. My boys split a hamburger. Mom and I shared too.

1) For dinner we had reservations at Le Cellier for the candlelight package. I would never do this show any other way. The line for the non-package people was sooooooooooooo long! We ate at Le Cellier and it was wonderful. We all had steak and you could almost cut it w/ your fork! I would go here again in a heartbeat. We used 8 table credits (had to on the candlelight package)

Day 3 was our day for the MVMCP so we did not do any other park and just used our MVMCP tickets to get in at 4pm. We ate counter that night. While we waited for the parade (we staked a spot out early on mainstreet for the 10pm parade) a couple of us got Casey hotdogs for everyone. I used 8 counter services but I should have only used 7. It was too much food.

1) We used 8 table services for a late lunch at the Grand Floridian Café. This was one of our number 1 meals!!!! Very very good food! The boys French fries were homemade and so tasty!! I had planned this meal so we could see the Christmas decorations at GF plus take the monorail to the party. Funny that it ended up being the best meal!

Day 4 was a MGM day! We ate a counter meal at Backlot Express. This place was just ok. Nothing to write home about. We used 7 counter meals.

1) That evening we had reservations at Sci Fi. We did this restaurant last year and it was a favorite. This year I think we were a little disappointed. My mom and I got steak and it was not good. We also got the apple crisp that was not edible. We used 4 table credits here. I paid for the 4 kid’s meals.

Day 5 was another Epcot day. We stopped at the Land and ate desserts. Really good strawberry shortcake there! FYI. We had lunch outside of Mexico. It was not bad and we are all Texans! The boys split 1 meal, so we used only 7 counters here.

1) Our evening meal was at Coral Reef. We were on the 3rd tier and I really wished we were closer to the tank! It was awesome though. We all loved the food. My dad got the blackened catfish and it was awesome. The pepper jack grits that his catfish sat on was to die for!! We used 8 table credits here.

Day 6 was back to MGM! We ended up eating lunch at Toy story Pizza and we all thought it was very very good! We used 7 counters because mom and I split again. This park closed early that night and I had no idea. I guess it was decided the night before or that morning for Pop Warner. It was suppose to be open until 8pm. I had made reservations at AKL at Bomas but if we left we would not be able to see Fantasmic. I ran to each restaurant and I was able to get a 4:20pm reservation at Mama Melrose. All the others were booked. I thought this was very not nice of Disney. Even the CMs said that they were not aware that it was closing early until they got to work.

1) Anyway, Mama Melrose was good and not that busy. May be some decided not to stay since the park was closing early. We just were not that hungry so it did not knock me off my feet.

Day 7 was our last day at the parks. We headed to MK very early. I wanted to be there before opening but we got there at 9:05am! The park was very empty! I made reservations at noon for Tony’s because I had booked the Grand gathering firework cruise for our grand finale that evening. We ate at Caseys that evening, again! But the crowds were sooooooo bad after 2pm. You could hardly walk! We left the park about 6:30pm.

1) Tony’s was very good despite some reviews that I have read. The desserts were large and very good! I would book there again! Used 5 table credits and paid for 3 kid’s meals.

The firework cruise that evening was horrible. I will write about that soon.

Our departure day required using up the rest of the counter services! We ate breakfast and used 3 counters and paid OOP for the kids. We went to Downtown Disney for some final shopping so we ate the Earl of Sandwich w/ the rest of the credits…which was 7!

We had 9 snack credits in the end. I ended up getting 9 mickey ear rice krispi treats dipped in chocolate. These made great teacher gifts and we gave one to a neighbor girl (with some mickey ears too).

We used a lot of snack credits for breakfast! We were able to get a box of Entenmanns sp? Donuts! Plus muffins and breads. We used a few counters for adult breakfasts too.

The meal plan can really be used successfully if you try. I think it is a wonderful deal and I hope it always is available in some form.

Any question I would love to answer!!

Thanks for sharing. I would love to hear more about the Fireworks Cruise. Good/bad experiences since we have booked this for our trip in Jan. Thanks!

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for posting your reviews, I enjoyed reading them. :sunny:

You said that your lunch at the Grand Floridian was one of your favorite meals. Can you tell me what you had that was so good? Thanks

Kangafan,

The firework cruise was very disappointing. I searched high and low for reviews on the two GG events we did and I did not find too many. We did the GG firework cruise in 2003 and it was very enjoyable. In 2003 they had us meet on the far end of the main floor pass the stores. The desserts were not prepackaged and you could get cookies, cakes, fresh strawberries, coffee, etc.... Then we had a very enjoyable cruise and the kids took big nestle cookies w/ us. At the end they got Peter Pan books. At that time it was around $20 adult and around $15 child. Now it is around $28/adult and $20/child right? Anyway, I understand the price increase but the quality went down. They told us it would be in one of the conference rooms downstairs (felt like a dungeon). I was told 7:30pm when I made reservations. Another lady said that she was told 7:15pm There was no chairs in the halls and kids were running around like crazy. Parents were sitting on the floor. When we got down there I opened the door where the sign was to see if may be we could wait or sit in there. The lady grabbed the door handle from inside and stuck her head out. She said (pointing to the sign) in a very hateful voice, "read the sign it says 7:45." So we resigned ourselves to sitting on the floor and they slowly let us in around 7:50pm. My dad has bad knees and hips.....I tried to blow it off. The "snacks" were just tacky. It was granola bars (that you get at the grocery store), prepackaged brownies, breakfast bars, small bags of pretzels, trail mix, airline peanuts. They did have whole apples and oranges. The hot water was luke warm to make your own chocolate. They did have bottled water and cokes. People w/ backpacks were racking in the goods. It was a crazy site. I am sorry, I don't want granola bars and apples and WDW. I want something I don't get the other 51 weeks a year.

Then we get on the water, the crew does not hook us on the bouy right. The rope gets hooked around the propeller. All the adults new we were stuck. The pirate continued to try to entertain for 30 minutes but it was getting very obvious. Small speed boats were coming up and try to bump us loose. Finally, the main crew member tells us that he is going to let us in on the problem. We were stuck (almost all the way out by the island) and they did not have a big boat available to get us out.. We had to wait about an hour after the fireworks before they sent a big boat to pull us out. It was cold and miserable. There were small children and older people on the boat that I was worried might need to go to the restroom. They would not say that they messed up but just acted like it was an random problem. We when arrived at dock Peter Pan was there but no one cared. Staff was there and they offered onw free fast pass to everyone. Whooo hooo yea right. I told them if you did not have boat to help stranded guest what would you do in a more serious emergancy???

One gentleman said that they called to cancel the day before because it was going to be cold. Staff told them that they had blankets on the boat. He had 2 small kids. Well when he asked for blankets they didn't have any.

Oh...no Peter Pan books now.

I demanded my money back and I have been told it will happen. Of course in 3 billing cycles.

What a shame . . . did they have Captain Hook & Mr. Smee at the beginning "reception?" Did you get to see the Electrical Water pagent? We're planning to see what the weather is like and if it isn't looking good 7 days out, cancel, but I was hoping to do something special for our last night. I may have to rethink this one. Thanks for your review.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter