9+ months with the Mouse -1 year on the road update

Wow! Sounds wonderful. The only advice I would have is to take your time with the plans. That is a huge undertaking. Once all of the plans and reservations are made - you will need that vacation!

Can't help with the planning, just wanted to say I'm jealous. Have fun, and congrats and thank you for your service to our country.

Ditto..wow! What alot of points and the cruises sound wonderful. (Hope you like each other ALOT :) )

Thank you for your many years of service!!!
smiley_salute.gif

Can't wait to read that never ending trip report!

I like the way you and the misses think!

I do what you're planning on, just for a shorter time period. I snowbird for three and a half months in the winter.

I don't mind moving, I like a change of scenery now and then, and I don't like studios for more than two days or so. Like you, I own at all the resorts so the 7 month window does not come into play. If you are there for that long, you'll probably find yourself spending more time at your resort, and 9 days in a studio seems awfully long to me.
I usually do 5 weekdays in a 1-br someplace, then 2 weekend days in a studio. Then 5 more weekdays in a 1-br, and so on. Once in awhile, I may take off for the beach for the weekend, or go visit relatives. I also supplement my DVC time with a couple of I.I. getaways for a week here or there. I use that time for off-site activities like Seaworld, Universal, and off-site shopping and dining.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

That is awesome!! Something I could only dream of! Hope you have a wonderful time and how did you ever get that many points??

Thank you so much for your many years of service and Congratulations :jumping1: on your well deserved retirement. Your time together sounds wonderful!
One suggestion I may have is when you are planning for the 1 or 2br you should try out Kidani at AKL.....the bathroom alone is worth it and the rooms are very spacious. Each resorts theming might make you feel like you are at totally different locations anyway so that may help too.
Can't wait to see how it all works out for you :goodvibes
The Kindle that someone mentioned for reading is a great idea....endless amount of reading material and no clutter!! :thumbsup2

Tracy

Just wanted to add my THANKS and CONGRATS to those already expressed. I'd love to have the chance to meet you on one of our short trips.

Would it make me crazy, yes it would. The longest we have stayed is two weeks, and that was in a 2 bedroom and I was so ready to go home or go anywhere else. I have to agree with DVC John, weekends in the studio would be limit, then back to a one bedroom, even if it meant not staying as long.

The main thing to me is lack of quietness. So if i was even going to consider this it would have to be SSR or OKW for long periods of time. Every other resort is just too noisey for me for long periods of time.

The ABD trips and the cruises sound like fun but with the decline in Disney food, and the attitude lately of some CMs and many guests I would never make it longer than 2 weeks at Disney World without a break of some sort.

I could stay at HHI and Vero Beach much longer though.

Enjoy your time and thanks for the many years of service.

Wow - I just told my husband I was leaving him for you ;) He read your post and had nothing better to counter with - too bad you are obvously devoted to your wife!!!!

Thank you for your service and I hope you have a wonderful year.

This would be my advice - BWV and BCV when it is colder (Jan/Feb) so you get the warm FL feel - Then VWL in warmer months so you feel a little cooler.

Also - I think OKW has the best studios!!! They seem bigger than anywhere else!

Thank You for your service & congrats! DH is already planning how long we could stay using the points we have now (a measely 400 compared to yours:rotfl:) but then again we are only 31 yrs old and have many yrs ahead of us. We also just joined DVC in 2008. I think the suggestions PP have made are wonderful:

Kindle books or library card
post office box
as clutter free as possible - mailing things home
Ask DW where she wants to stay
What does she want to do or see that you may not have done yet?
Variety in resorts - I would include DL & Vero if possible

Myself - I would want to be able to just relax and check out the rest of Orlando too - the shops and interesting things like the stuff on International Blvd - I know I am cheesy but I haven't checked that stuff out in a long time. I would also want to do some outlet shopping. I don't golf myself but if she does - are there non-Disney courses she wants to go to?
I am sure I could think of other things but it is 330 in the morning. Keep us posted!

Congrats on your retirement, and thank you for your service.

I think I could live in a studio bathroom if it meant that I could go to WDW for 9 months!!

I'm guessing that you'll get annual passes. :rotfl2:

My dh and I lived in a very small house when we first got married. Afterwhile, we hardly noticed it (except for when we had a lot of company). I have to admit that our tiny house made us even closer as a couple. I think I might would consider some kind of small cheapie storage unit to keep winter/summer clothes, etc.

I also like the idea of having picture frames and other personal items sitting around like on the armoires and such. Use your balcony as your great sunroom. Request a big balcony! Some balconies are 3 times the size of others at BWV, IMHO.

I would also get one of those shoe thingies that you put over doors for toiletries and such. Your going to need your space to put family size washing detergent and such in your studio.

I look forward to your awesome trip report!

Wow! Congrats on your retirement! I want my DH to read your post- what a nice treat for your wife! (plus, YOU are planning it all, even better!)

Anyway, I think a studio would probably be fine for long term, you and your wife don't seem to have an interest in cooking and you seem like an active couple (if you are going down for marathons). You will probably be out and about a lot. I have had the luxury of staying for long periods in FL during the winter due to my parents living there. I am outside all the time, there is very little rain, the sun is ALWAYS out and I just want to soak up as much of it as I can. I am really only in their house to eat and sleep.

I haven't stayed in a studio long term but my DH and I did live in a cramped place for 6 mos due to a corporate assignment and it was actually very enjoyable. When you are 'free' from all your worldly things you really don't miss them. Plus, you are all a military family-you can adapt to any circumstance and make it work!

Congratulations on your retirement, and a big thank you for your service to our country.

One thing I think could make moving from resort to resort easier is an Owner's Locker. It will hold tons of stuff, such as, detergent, framed pictures, umbrellas, first aid supplies....the list goes on and on. Much easier to pack with those types of items than a suitcase and bell services will move it to the next resort along with your other luggage.

Looking forward to reading all about your 9 month adventure.

Wow, what a fantastic year you'll have.

I know the on-site perks are important, but I wonder if you wouldn't be more comfortable renting out your points and using the cash to rent a house for the full 9 months. That way you'd have a true home base to settle into and call home, rather than jumping from place to place every few weeks and living out of suitcases.

Congratulations. You are now my hero !!!

Now. I'm not sure I would want to stay in a studio for more than 2 weeks. Space would be my primary concern. Not sure about your wife but thinking about the amount of clothes I would need is enough for me to get bigger accomodations.
After 9 months that studio could turn into a homicide crime scene.

One more suggestion as far as details go. You are going for a long time and trying to squeeze in alot. Some of my best trips especially to Europe involved a lot of "laid back" "no guide, no itenerary" moments. While I love cruises and Adventures by Disney they are highly regulated. Make sure you have a lot of "do nothing" type of days in between.

First thank you to you , your wife and your family!

Second I know others thin kthe home base idea is good and although I would usually agree - as the queen of OCD and things in their place - I say just go for it!!! Stay everywhere and enjoy the space you have!! I think even I could handle a "hotel room" at Disney!!! I mean after all as someone else said you are going to have LOTS to do so I think it would work!!

I second the Owners Locker - that might be a good way to organize clothing - according to season/need. Pack one with warmer stuff, jackets, sweatshirts and one with cruise attire, one with summer clothes and the guys at OL will do the work - you could trade lockers in and out. Might also help to pack a few surprises in each locker - little gifts, books, music to change things up a little.

Enjoy!!

...I know the on-site perks are important, but I wonder if you wouldn't be more comfortable renting out your points and using the cash to rent a house for the full 9 months. That way you'd have a true home base to settle into and call home, rather than jumping from place to place every few weeks and living out of suitcases.

.....I second the Owners Locker - that might be a good way to organize clothing - according to season/need. Pack one with warmer stuff, jackets, sweatshirts and one with cruise attire, one with summer clothes and the guys at OL will do the work - you could trade lockers in and out. Might also help to pack a few surprises in each locker - little gifts, books, music to change things up a little.

Enjoy!!

The OP's DW's only request was that she would not have to do any cooking and cleaning. I can't see the home base option fitting those requirements.

The Owner's Lockers do sound like a great idea. I think you could get away with two--summer and winter. And the addition of a few surprises :thumbsup2.

The library card may not work as you will not be a resident of Orange County. http://www.ocls.info/Card/Default.asp Do any snowbirds know how Orange county deals with temporary residents? If you get a postal box at one of those packing stores (UPS or something similar) you'll get an address, not just a P.O. Box number so perhaps the library would accept that. Also since you are retired military they might be more flexible. Otherwise a Kindle might work better.

:eek: Gosh, I thought DVC Mike was the luckiest guy in the whole world with his points.....you win ....that is just awesome!!:worship:

Couldn't have said it better!!!! First I fainted when I read your thread. :rotfl: Now YOU ARE MY BIGGEST IDOL!!!!!:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter