A Big part of the Big Problem... Staffing

You know instead of worrying about daycare, you can do what my family does. My wife works mornings and I work afternoons.
instead of worrying about daycare?

...you lost your point as soon as you said that.

Most of the time when people talk like that they either have been in that job long time enough where that flexibility was often earned or two they work in fields in which that can work.

To give an example from my childhood:
My dad was an insurance agent, my mom worked for an insurance company but for the corporate side. Both jobs were 9-5 style jobs with exception that sometimes my dad had to do things on the weekend because you know insurance is not a m-f type thing, no you couldn't just say "I'll work in the afternoon and you'll work in the mornings" besides that they were both full time jobs. Eventually my mom got a 2nd job (this was after my parents divorced) in retail in the evenings and weekends.

I would consider my mom's corporate job and my dad's insurance job as fairly normal jobs.

You get sympathy and understanding from people when you preface it by "I realize my situation affords me the ability to do this and others may not", you lose understanding when you act like people can do just the same as you. For many it's unrealistic for them to have such an arrangement as you do.

On the bright side, were setting ourselves up for some amazing accomplishments.

I'm waiting for the eventual drop of inflation down to a paltry 4% so we get to hear "The biggest drop in inflation (50%) IN THE HISTORY OF THE COUNTRY". And when gas drops to $3 "The biggest drop in gas prices IN THE HISTORY OF THE COUNTRY". And rent etc etc.

pat.jpg

Last edited:
As for staffing, up here most F Food is closed at 8PM (at least during the week) and often just drive through only.

No. She works 6am to 2pm and I work 3:30 to 11:30
my kids are finally at the age, as of last summer, where my wife and i could both work from home and the kids stay home and we didnt have to watch them every second.

When they were in daycare, they went because we didnt really have a choice. We both work 8-5, and it didnt make sense for one of us to not work.

I cant imagine how expensive it is now, it was insane 5 years ago.

So because life is more expensive, they should work less hard? I’m not following.

There are staffing shortages everywhere. If they don’t like the pay for the job, they should go avail themselves of some of those other opportunities.
That’s literally what people have done, and all these places are whining about how “no one wants to work”

My daughter was in the college program in 2019, so please note my bias in advance.

The DCP started back last fall, so it’s been going almost a year. I’ve kept up some with the current program as my daughter was considering a round 2. Many of these kids are working 50-60 hour weeks. They’ve been blocked from the parks for the majority of the spring, which took away a HUGE perk. The new DCP complex (Flamingo Crossing) does not have ample parking (as it was intended for many international CPs who wouldn’t have cars) and there is a lottery to even have a car with you. So they’re blocked from the parks, have to hire Ubers to go do fun stuff since they’re blocked from the places they have free transportation to, working long hours putting up with many disgruntled guests, and it seems as if they’re taking most everyone that applies because many quit. They’ve now opened most parks for reservations for CM, but those reservations are extremely limited.

We know someone who was accepted, arriving in July, and has never visited WDW in her life. Granted, some jobs don’t require much background knowledge but others do. AND if you’ve never been to a Disney park pre-pandemic, you have no idea of the expectations from guests regarding service and “magic making.”

Now, I will say that some kids had issues adjusting anyway, but as Disney obsessed as my daughter is, and despite having every intention when she left of re-applying, says “no way” to the program as it is right now. She is not “soft”, as her role was custodial and she’s currently working 1 full time and 2 part time jobs while being a full time graduate student. However, the incentive (mainly going to the parks at will) just isn’t there for her right now.

And the solution to that? Hint - it's not a government mandate that everyone earn $80/hr. It's increasing the supply. More people should open up providing day care at more reasonable prices. The more places that do that, the most the cost will drop. Then those people with children could afford to take reasonably paid jobs.

It's a good example of labor that can not be automated (at least, we are not at a stage where we are going to have robot babysitters en mass yet). Which is a better future than working in a warehouse pulling product which can easily (and is) being constantly automated. But it does require thinking and yes - the days although less physically demanding, can be more mentally wearing. But someone could make a good living it sounds like opening up a place offering daycare at just under the local rate.
Unfortunately there is a shortage of daycare workers. This isn't the time to be opening a new daycare

Whereas the companies that are capable of paying them more aren't doing so... not because they will go bankrupt but literally because they don't want to cut into their profit margins.

Why would a company overpay for labor? Who wants to overpay for anything?

Companies should pay market wages. They aren't charities. They aren't employee's mommies and daddies who love them and try to make their life as easy as possible.

But I understand why you think they should overpay. Disney did virtue signal with their $15 minimum wage for positive press. Everybody knows most of those jobs aren't really worth $15 an hour. They thought they would be held up as saviors while other companies lagged behind. What they didn't count on was covid and stupid decisions hosing up the labor market and putting them behind again so quickly. Now they are in a bind. Disney was already expensive. Now, with rising labor costs and inflation, they know that they could soon be hitting the limits of what customers are willing to pay. And if a recession comes, expect carnage at TWDC.

No. She works 6am to 2pm and I work 3:30 to 11:30
So, you two rarely see each other. That doesn't sound like it's good for the marriage or the family.

Maybe you should both work 8-5 (preferably at jobs that pay 2-3x what you get paid now), get grandparents to stay in your home during the day watching the kids, then all eat supper together at 5, have family bonding time 5-9 (board games, tell stories, go out somewhere as a family), then wife/husband time 9-11.

If you're not doing EXACTLY THIS, then you're not doing it right. /s

Whereas the companies that are capable of paying them more aren't doing so... not because they will go bankrupt but literally because they don't want to cut into their profit margins.

Right now, they do not have the money even if they wanted to.

Disney at some point needs to start paying a dividend again, or their going to start losing investors. You may not understand the importance of having investors, but in short without people buying their stock, they do not have the money to run their business, much less make movies, grow the parks, or do anything else.

Disney has 2 billion outstanding shares. Their FCF was also right about 2 billion. That means that if they were to set a low dividend of 1% - which would pay $1 per share at a stock price of 100, they would be at zero profit. A dividend of 1.6% (which is pre=pandemic levels) with their stock price at $150 would put them in a significant negative bucket.

How long do you think Disney will be able to continue to pay their employees if they are losing billions of dollars a year?

Too many people just lump all employers together in one large group. The staffing issues of a large corporation are very different. Can many large publicly held companies afford to pay more by cutting into their profits? Sure. But the mom and pop places likely can’t. These are the same businesses still barely holding on post covid. The ones who don’t have a battalion of lawyers and accountants on staff to maximize what relief funds they could got while big companies and NBA stars got theirs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter