A Bit Overwhelmed...

snowy76

<font color=blue>I do a panic dance<br><font color
So, after a wonderful but short trip to DLR last summer with my DS 6, DH and DD are joining in the fun and we are all planning to head to SoCal for a week this coming summer. Hopefully our oldest DS can join us too, but with school and work it'll likely be just four of us.

Last summer DS and I only did DLR, so we stayed at the Fairfield on Harbor. This time around, I'm looking at some of the condo rentals on vrbo.com - specifically the complexes across Walnut, near the parking garage so we can grab the tram to DL and DCA. We're planning 4 days at the parks, most likely.

However, we'd really like at least a day or two each on the coast and Legoland/San Diego. I've looked at Huntington Beach possibly, would love to even just drive up and down and see Laguna Beach, Dana Point, etc. might consider Carlsbad with its proximity to Legoland - so we can still get in our beach fix.

Just looking at the rentals and hotels online is driving me nuts - DH would love to stay near the beach but of course, nightly rates are much more than if we just stay a few extra nights in Anaheim. And a lot of condo rentals have 7-night minimums in the summer. Been looking mostly at rentals in Orange County, really haven't looked into being closer to San Diego because it's just making my head spin at this point.

Does it even make sense to split our stay between Anaheim and the coast? Or should we make Anaheim our home base for the whole trip?

This is my first trip to CA beyond DLR so I'm a total novice. Would love to just get a taste of what the area has to offer - I'm sure there will be more trips in the future!

Things are more costly toward the beach. You can certainly stay in Anaheim and drive to the beach. I lived in Orange County for so long. Laguna is very nice. As you have Newport and Huntington beach. There can be allot to do depending on the time of year you go.

In terms of gas prices, please take note that gas is around $3.60 per gallon right now, and a 2 hour trip (4 hours roundtrip) back and forth to the San Diego area can cost an arm and a leg. If you do a ton of driving around, it probably might cost less to switch hotels or rent some beach-side. I personally love staying near the beach, so it's worth it to me. If you really want to see the coast, then yes, it does make sense to split the days up, if you ask me. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter