A Driving Experience Rumor

WDWHound

DIS Veteran
OK, so most us are no more interested in The Richard Petty Driving Experience than we are in Disney's Wide World Of Sports, but I thought I'd throw out a new rumor I heard this morning.

One of the syndicated radio morning shows is broadcasting live from WDW all this week. This morning, they interviewed the manager of the RPDE. Toward the end of the interview, he mentioned that there were plans in the works to expand the attraction and offer a couple of new types of experiences. He wouldn't say more than that, nor did he offer a time frame.

Like DWWoS, I generally ignore this attraction. Does anyone know if the Driving Experience has been successful? If so, I could see a couple of possibilities for expanding it, perhaps a dragster or formula 1 experience?

Well, the Nascar Cafe is at City Walk and Race Rock (good food btw..) is on International Drive (I married into a family of race fans....) so I don't know what they'd put at the speedway as far as a restaurant. A Daytona USA sort of experience would be interesting. The RPDE can be had at any number of race tracks around the country.

But I think they should rip down the WWS and stick the speedway there......right across the street from the Polynesian is a terrible place for a race track. Sure enhances that exotic island themeing to hear racecar engines....:rolleyes:

Of course, I'm not a sports fan and not much of a racing fan either....

I would like to see them kinda scrap the speedway they have now. In place of it build a short track near WWos (1/2mile oval) and run races on a regular schedule (one night a week) that race fans could attend while at Disney. There are short tracks near daytona and they do very well especially during race weeks. The Petty experience is a neat concept but the pricing has made me think is it worth it for a couple minutes?

I'd like to point out that I've stayed at the Poly a couple of times now since that was built and I haven't once heard the cars.

Personally, I agree, move it to WWoS and hold regular races. Make it a Dirt track or something. Make it a part of the property, but not. I think you'd be surprised how well it would do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter