A Farewell to Disney Tour

kath1210

DIS Veteran
When: June 2007

Where: Old Key West 2-Bedroom Villa

Who: The cast of characters:

Me – Disney nut and obsessive planner. I love all things Disney, and I feel great just being there (or thinking about WDW or reading trip reports, etc.) I have a job with County government, so I don’t make a lot of money, but get a lot of vacation and holiday time off.

DH – He’s a great guy who likes Disney, and puts up with my nuttiness and obsessive planning. He used to sell beepers, cell phones, used cars, and new cars, in that order. He was also a stay-at-home dad for many years, and even drove a school bus for a few years before finding his “niche” as a real estate agent.

DS16 – Well, he’ll be 16 when we go. He loves computers and games where he can modify the medium and build new worlds. Unfortunately, he is truly sick and tired of Walt Disney World. He thinks one trip every 2 years is more than enough. He used to love Disney Quest, but it has lost a bit of its charm for him. He has tried almost all of the Disney resort arcades and has deemed most of them unworthy – broken or “messed-up” games, etc. On our last trip he did not visit even one park and spent most of the time in the villa playing video games. In spite of this, I have hopes of him someday becoming an Imagineer. He likes the Carter family a lot, though, so he is looking forward to this trip.

DD13 – Also a Disney nut like her mom. She loves school (especially math – not sure where she gets that?) and loves to play soccer. She is crazy about all things Disney and we are hoping to make the “Girls Trip” we took last fall an annual thing. She also loves animals and wants to work with them someday, so I have hopes that she will get a job at the Animal Kingdom. (If one of my kids becomes a CM, I get free tickets for life, right? )

Molly (MC) – DH’s niece; she’s about 10 years younger than he is. She is currently a stay-at-home mom (one of the toughest jobs in the world), but she’s worked as an elementary school teacher and in religious education. MC is pretty, fun, smart and sweet. She is also the only female in a family of one man, two boys, and a couple of male cats. We are going to plan a couple of “girly” things during the trip for me, DD13, and MC.

Russ (RC) – A 20-some year Navy man. He’s a smart, handsome and confident guy. We always have a lot of fun with RC.

Kyle (KC) – MC’s and RC’s 13 year old son. He’s into surfing, soccer and lately, making really cool wallets (and purses) from colorful duct tape. He is quieter than his younger brother, and is something of a calming factor for him. KC gets along great with my kids, and they always have a lot of fun together.

Bart (BC) – MC’s and RC’s 8 year old son. BC is the clown of the family. He is always “on” and we’ve spent plenty of meals being entertained by his antics. He has a future in Hollywood if he wants it.

Why: We live in Maryland and the Carter family lives in Jacksonville. As stated above, MC is my DH’s niece. Our kids are around the same age, and when we get together, our families just “click.” We try to visit them every time we go to Florida, and they always stay a day or two with us when they come to Maryland. For the last 2 Christmas seasons, we have gotten together at Disney World for at least a few days.

Starting in late June 2007, the Carter family will be stationed in Japan for 3 years, and we are going to miss them SO much. We have talked about this “Farewell Tour” for months now. At first, we planned to go on a DCL cruise. However, after checking the DCL prices, we decided to try for “Plan B.” (I love DCL, but there are far more cost-effective times to go than in the summer months).

We also discussed doing a Carnival or other cruise, but when MC asked her kids what they’d like to do, they said WDW. Believe it or not, even though they have lived in Florida almost all of their lives, the Carter family has not visited all of the WDW parks, and they’ve never been to any of the water parks. And, they’ve always wanted to try the Dining Plan and many of the WDW restaurants. So, since they are leaving Florida and the U.S. for so long, we are going to “do Disney right” for a week, staying in a 2BR Villa at OKW, with the Dining Plan.

Well, as you might imagine, planning a “Grand Gathering” for the 8 of us is an obsessive Disney planner’s dream!! We have rented points for a 2BR OKW Villa and ordered the Dining Plan. In addition, I have tentatively mapped out the best parks to visit for each day (with some help from *****************), and have made most of our dining reservations. Of course, none of them are set in stone yet, but for me, more than half of the fun lies in the planning.

Well, that’s about all for the pre-trip report for now. I’ll add more as things progress!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter