A Few Interesting Photos from the Florida Gulf Coast

Tri-circle-D

<font color=peach>Throwing some love to TCD<br><fo
The TCD gang made their annual pilgrimage to the Florida panhandle this past weekend. We usually visit for at least a week including the 4th of July, but for a number of reasons, we did not this year. In 2010, we were limited to just a long weekend.

There is nothing Fort or even camping related about this post, so I will keep it brief. But, I did see some interesting things, and I thought that I would share. I would hope that all of you would do the same if you saw something that you thought might be interesting to the Fort Fiends.

So, here we go.

I had no idea that BP had a presence this far to the East in the Florida panhandle, but they did.

When we arrived at the beach, I immediately noticed this group camped out along the dunes:

Seaside2010009.jpg

These little canopy encampments were spaced about 100 yards apart for as far as the eye could see:

Seaside2010014.jpg

These encampments were serviced all day long by a fleet of tractors and other vehicles:

Seaside2010012.jpg

There was even a mobile restroom facility driving up and down the beach:

Seaside2010092.jpg

I asked the fellow that we rent an umbrella and chairs from every year what the heck was going on here. He said "don't get me started." It seems that BP has sent in these crews to monitor the entire coastline in this area. According to the Cabana Man, these workers were spaced 100 yards apart along the entire coast of this county. That has to be 30 miles of beaches in Walton County alone. Each canopy is staffed by three workers. The workers went out in pairs at intervals to walk their 100 yards of beach. They were supposed to look for tar balls and pick them up. But, mostly what they did was sit under their tents and talk on their cell phones. The Cabana Man said BP was paying these folks $20 an hour. He said that his business was so slow this summer that he encouraged some of his workers to try to get these jobs from BP. But, these folks were brought in from Mississippi and Louisiana, and BP was also providing them with lodging.

Who is going to pay for this?

I am afraid to tell you that it will be us.

Can you imagine what this must be costing BP?

Can you imagine what gas prices will be as soon as BP and its cohorts get to gouge us again?

Anyway, we did not let the presence of these workers detract from our vacation.

The middle TCD daughter had confided in me before this trip that she hoped to meet some hot guys on the beach.

And she did!

See?:

BPGuys.jpg

And these guys have good paying jobs!

(for now anyway).

In addition to the foot patrols, we also noticed a lot of helicopters:

Seaside2010090.jpg

And, it looked like BP hired a fleet of boats to drive back and forth at spaced intervals to look for oil:

Seaside2010081.jpg

Seaside2010086.jpg

The amazing thing about BP's efforts is that it had all of these folks working from about 9 am to 5 pm. The last time I checked, the water and the sand was there 24 hours a day. Nobody told the tar balls not to come ashore between 5 pm and 9 am, so we occasionally came across one of these:

oil.jpg

Truthfully, though, I think we saw two tar balls in the three days we were on the beach. And, in years past, we have seen tar balls on the beach before. Don't forget that they have been drilling for oil in the Gulf for years, and don't think for a second that there haven't been spills before. We just heard about this one because of its magnitude. There has always been the occasional tar ball on the beach here.

The BP efforts were not the only thing of interest that we saw all week.

I also discovered that the folks of Seaside, Florida are not politically correct or sensitive to those with special needs. I mean, look at this sign:

Seaside2010019.jpg

Do you think the Slow Children like the fact that Seaside is calling them slow? Or advertising this fact on signs? Who would think that a government could be so insensitive these days?

What is our world coming to?

As I often say, it is good to be TCD.

One afternoon, I was snapping some photos on the beach, when I happened to look to my right, and saw a lady frolicking in the water topless!

Yes, I said:

woman!

frolicking!

topless!

I was so offended that I only took two photos, and then I did my best not to look.

Very much.

I'm sure I can't post the unedited photos here, so here are the properly sanitized versions, just to show that I am not lying about this:

Seaside2010037.jpg

Seaside2010110.jpg

It was great fun to see the reactions of my fellow beach-goers to this spectacle:

Seaside2010111.jpg

That's it.

That's all I have.

I told you it would be brief.

And, I told you it would be interesting.

I hope you like.

TCD

While I don't have pictures, my dad told me a story about the BP workers cleaning up in the Orange Beach area.

They would show up about 8am and set up their tents and gear. This would take about 90 minutes. Then each worker would stuff a standard size pickle bucket with this HUGE hazmat bag. To stuff the pickle bucket with the sack took about 10 minutes to get it stuffed appropriately.

Then they would take their sack-stuffed bucket and scoop up EXACTLY four shovels of tar-ball sand.

Getting the four shovels full took about 5 minutes.

Then they would take about 10 minutes to get the bag off of the bucket and sealed up appropriately and dumped in the trailer to be hauled off.

Then another 10 minutes to load the bucket with another bag.

They also took breaks under the shelters every hour for 10 minutes.

Of course an hour for lunch, and they started breaking down the shelters 90 minutes before 5pm.

According to dad, the bag could have held twenty shovels full and the bucket probably could have held 10 shovels full.

From what I have read that the ocean floor seeps oil all the time whether oil wells are drilled or not. This means tar balls are a natural occurence that 99.9% of the time are totally ignored. Now the least little droplet will get what I call the Caddyshack reaction. Remember the pool on Caddy day? The doodie? Bill Murray ate it...the Baby Ruth? BP will file for bankruptcy and come out of it debt free. Spend baby spend now who cares. You're right TCD we will all end up paying for it. :scared1:

Should Charlie Crist have warned him of topless women with tarballs?

We went to Topsail SP for the 4th of July and the Beach had alot of tar bars then. I have heard alot of of stories of the BP clean up. I'm glad they are cleanning it up and were I'm from closer to Pensacola they have also been working at night. It's good to see the great pictures..... of the beach!

Thanks TCD!

I'm guessing with the topless frolicers, there we a few young lads playing BP that night and cleaning up their tar balls.

While I don't have pictures, my dad told me a story about the BP workers cleaning up in the Orange Beach area.

They would show up about 8am and set up their tents and gear. This would take about 90 minutes. Then each worker would stuff a standard size pickle bucket with this HUGE hazmat bag. To stuff the pickle bucket with the sack took about 10 minutes to get it stuffed appropriately.

Then they would take their sack-stuffed bucket and scoop up EXACTLY four shovels of tar-ball sand.

Then they would take about 10 minutes to get the bag off of the bucket and sealed up appropriately and dumped in the trailer to be hauled off.

Of course an hour for lunch, and they started breaking down the shelters 90 minutes before 5pm.

According to dad, the bag could have held twenty shovels full and the bucket probably could have held 10 shovels full.

The reason for this is because of the bag weight. Four shovels full of wet sand has some weight to it. So while it seems like they should fill the bags up, safety comes first. Also, all cleanup people who are handling oil/tar are required to wear tyveck suits....which is the reason they take so many breaks. Extreme heat without the suit...DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS heat with the suit. Therefore many breaks. With everything I could say about BP, I must say that they don't budge when it comes to safety. We are actually working the cleanup through the Vessels program. Helps us feel a little less helpless.:sad2:

TCD...would love to meet you and your family next time you are up this way! We could go have a cocktail at Bud & Alleys or a beer a GSP!:thumbsup2

Here are some photos from when we were in Orange Beach a few weeks ago.

DSC00270.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

DSC00273.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

Understand...these days come and go depending on the weather, currents, etc... We have actually been very, very blessed that things haven't been worse.

M1tchells - The pictures you posted tell the reality of the situation, best. I've not seen any pictures like that on our local news here in Tampa.

Just a point of reference.... my DH was born and raised on the east coast of Florida. He was born in 1953. When he was growing up, the beaches in the Miami area were often coated with tar balls that were the result of naval vessels sunk in the Atlantic during WWII. I thought he was exaggerating until I spoke about this with his mom. She said she always carried a can of lacquer thinner with her to the beach to clean the tar off her boys after a day of swimming in the Atlantic!! YIKES!!:eek:

I grew up swimming in Lake Erie (near Buffalo), and often times the beaches were closed due to the industrial pollution. The shoreline was thick with dead fish and birds. If we wanted to swim in cleaner water, we had to go to the beaches in Canada.

M1tchells - The pictures you posted tell the reality of the situation, best. I've not seen any pictures like that on our local news here in Tampa.

Just a point of reference.... my DH was born and raised on the east coast of Florida. He was born in 1953. When he was growing up, the beaches in the Miami area were often coated with tar balls that were the result of naval vessels sunk in the Atlantic during WWII. I thought he was exaggerating until I spoke about this with his mom. She said she always carried a can of lacquer thinner with her to the beach to clean the tar off her boys after a day of swimming in the Atlantic!! YIKES!!:eek:

I grew up swimming in Lake Erie (near Buffalo), and often times the beaches were closed due to the industrial pollution. The shoreline was thick with dead fish and birds. If we wanted to swim in cleaner water, we had to go to the beaches in Canada.

I always thought you were fossil fuel from prehistoric times. Just think now i can bring my lacquer thinner to the fort.

Tar balls and topless women. Another great TCD trip report!

Dave- You should have a job writing headlines! That is what I should have titled this thread; Tar Balls and Topless Women!

So, your dad saw some BP workers.

But, did he see any topless women?

It just occurred to me that maybe that woman was on the BP payroll, too.

Thinks about it. . .

Who is going to think or care about tar balls when a topless woman is frolicking nearby?

From what I have read that the ocean floor seeps oil all the time whether oil wells are drilled or not. This means tar balls are a natural occurence that 99.9% of the time are totally ignored. Now the least little droplet will get what I call the Caddyshack reaction. Remember the pool on Caddy day? The doodie? Bill Murray ate it...the Baby Ruth? BP will file for bankruptcy and come out of it debt free. Spend baby spend now who cares. You're right TCD we will all end up paying for it. :scared1:

I didn't know about oil naturally seeping from the ocean floor, but it is logical that this would happen. I am sad to have to agree with you about BP- they are never actually going to have to pay for this. Look at Exxon.

My goodness TCD, does it get any better than this, :lmao:

Uh, I mean,,what is this world coming too !?!?! :scared1:

I am so sorry to have offended you, Frank.

Only if you add cold beer and a comfortable chair (along with sunscreen & yellow fly repellent, of course). :thumbsup2

Uh. Oh.

Is that a snarky comment?

You had better stop it right there.

Should Charlie Crist have warned him of topless women with tarballs?

Snarky.

And funny.

Why, yes!! Yes he should have! But Uncle Charlie wouldn't have noticed the topless gal in the first place.

I'm not sure what you are implying about Charlie?

That he has bad eyesight?

We went to Topsail SP for the 4th of July and the Beach had alot of tar bars then. I have heard alot of of stories of the BP clean up. I'm glad they are cleanning it up and were I'm from closer to Pensacola they have also been working at night. It's good to see the great pictures..... of the beach!

Thanks TCD!

How was the occupancy at Topsail? Was it full? Or were folks staying away because of the oil?

But would he noticed the balls, er, tarballs?

Et tu, Dave?

What are you people trying to say about Charlie?!

He's married for gosh sake!

To a woman!

So there.

I'm guessing with the topless frolicers, there we a few young lads playing BP that night and cleaning up their tar balls.

I'm not sure what BP is, but I read you loud and clear (I think).

:rotfl2:

We are actually working the cleanup through the Vessels program. Helps us feel a little less helpless.:sad2:

TCD...would love to meet you and your family next time you are up this way! We could go have a cocktail at Bud & Alleys or a beer a GSP!:thumbsup2

Two questions:

1. What is the Vessels program?

and

B. What is GSP? I think I know all the watering holes in SoWal, but I can't figure this one out.

Here are some photos from when we were in Orange Beach a few weeks ago.

Understand...these days come and go depending on the weather, currents, etc... We have actually been very, very blessed that things haven't been worse.

Wow.

Those photos make me sad.

What a crying shame this is.

To be clear, the beaches we saw were fine. Just like normal. My point was that BP has gone overboard with the resources being spent in this area.

I agree, Deb. I had no idea that there were BP workers stationed on the beaches where we were. And, I didn't know that much oil was on the beaches in Alabama.

I am sure that the local news providers in these areas are intentionally not reporting anything negative. But, the problem is the rest of the world thinks the entire Gulf Coast is covered in oil. I was speaking to the comptroller of one of the largest hotels on Clearwater Beach a few weeks ago, and he said that their occupancy is the worst that he has ever seen, and he has worked there over ten years.

I think everyone would be better off if there was just objective and factual reporting of what is going on.

Like that will ever happen.

I always thought you were fossil fuel from prehistoric times. Just think now i can bring my lacquer thinner to the fort.

Snarky!

Now you stop that right now Donny!

You know we are not allowed to make snarky comments or mock each other here!

TCD

Great pictures and observations of a real tragedy.

We spent time in the Gulf this past March and April. I, along with DW, will probably never get another chance to enjoy the Keys and W Coast of FL like we did this year.

We feel so bad for the residents of LA, MS, AL, FL and possibly TX. They did nothing wrong, but they sure are paying the price.

:headache::confused3:headache::confused3

It is day 95. I still don't have the foggiest idea of the person in charge of handling this disaster. It can't be a retired CG Admiral. He has to seek permission from someone.

Who is the BOSS ?????????????
john

Who is the BOSS ?????????????
john

That is a very good question.

I read an article in an article in a local paper while visiting. The point was that BP was doing things that nobody asked them to, and the question was posed whether all of the commotion they were causing was doing more harm than good.

From my view, this has been a comedy (or, more accurately, tragedy) of errors.

And what do the elected officials of Florida do about it?

The usual . . .

accept their payoffs

and look the other way. :(

TCD

The Vessels of Opportunity program provides local boat operators (commercial fisherman) an opportunity to assist with response activities, including transporting supplies, assisting wildlife rescue and deploying containment and sorbent boom.

GSP....Grayton Beach State Park, my fav local CG. Opps, guess I forgot the B!

This is the thing about the oil.....it is very vast and very thick just offshore. Depends on the weather and the currents each day. Some days it is reported to be 2 miles offshore, and some days it reported to be 10-20 miles offshore. And when I say reported, I mean by local charter boats captains who I know personally who are now assisting in the cleanup... not by the media. And while Destin, SRB and PCB have been very blessed so far...there have been days of heavy oil on Pensacola Beach and Navarre has seen it's share as well. The resources have to be here because the situation can and does change overnight. In those photos I posted in Orange Beach....none of that oil was on the beach the night before. It was as pristine as the beaches at Seaside. Crews worked to clean it up all day and night and the next day, you couldn't even tell it had been there other than the slight discoloration of the sand. Personally I would rather have the responders here and prepared even if it does seem to be a waste. If they waited to deploy after it washed ashore each time...it would be much worse. Like I said....it is all just hanging just offshore. And now we have a storm coming through.:scared1:

BTW...don't mean to get so serious, but it really is such a sad, sad situation.:sad1:

P.S. Don't even get me started on the chemical dispersants and mass amounts of oil actually submersed under the water!:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter