A Few Strategic Planning Questions

MrsSaraG

Mouseketeer
I have a few early planning questions. We are going Nov 10-18 and staying at AKL. It will be myself, DH, and DD5. We are park open to park close commando type people. We don't have much of an interest in taking a mid-day break. That said, we do plan to take a "day off" in the middle of our trip. We don't have flights yet (waiting for Southwest to release their schedule for November) but I'm hoping for an early morning flight into MCO and an afternoon/evening flight home. We are looking at 7 day park hopper tickets (we can get them discounted though my husband's job).

So...

- Considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ. But if we do, it will have to be arrival day since our day off is a Wednesday and I don't think they do the show then? How is the food? What do they even do in the show other than dancing? I haven't found a ton of luck finding that info. I'm also trying to decide if it's worth it anyway since it would take so much time to get over there from AKL. I'm imagining it'd be pretty rushed for arrival day.

- I'm planning on CRT. I also want to do BBB. I'm thinking of trying for an 8:00 appt at BBB (which is hopefully PPO) and then a lunch time reservation for CRT. I'm not wanting to do this on a party day so I know MK is supposed to be much busier. Any reason this would be better on a party day? We plan on doing open to close at MK on party day, including the party. We did it for MNSSHP and it was fine so we will do it again.

- We are getting 7 day park tickets and we will be there 9 days. So, do we go into the park on arrival day (assuming we get an early enough flight and we don't do Mickey's Backyard BBQ) or do we skip the park on arrival day and not take a true day off in the middle? I can see us going into AK on arrival day for dinner/a few rides but my original thought was to go into a park for our day off and stay for the fireworks/nighttime shows (we did this last trip). Any opinions to sway me one way or another? (On our departure day I want to have do a character breakfast and just relax.

- Boma. I can't decide if we should eat here. I have heard great things about it and since we will be staying at AKL, it seems like a no brainer. However, I was not really a fan of Tusker House because I didn't like the food. I'm an adventurous eater and love trying new things and eating different cuisines, but this one didn't do it for me. So I'm afraid I will be disappointed - thoughts? For those that have eaten at both, what would you do?

- Is November still warm enough for the pool? Or does it tend to be hit or miss?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice! My DH is awesome in that he lets me plan everything, but that also means he doesn't give me any opinions when I'm suck!

The only one I can help with is the pool, and it's not much help. November will be hit or miss. You may end up with a really warm week or a really cold week. The pools are heated, but getting in and out would be the hard part.

I have never been to the park on a party day but would think it would be not as crowded as guests would want long hours if they weren't going to the party.

We happen to love Boma - we eat there each trip. We love breakfast so much but also enjoy dinner. I can't say for your taste but I think there is a good variety of food.

I don't know November - but we went in February for many years and swam every year but one - so you just don't know.

Sorry I hope that helps.

The only one I can help with is the pool, and it's not much help. November will be hit or miss. You may end up with a really warm week or a really cold week. The pools are heated, but getting in and out would be the hard part.

I have never been to the park on a party day but would think it would be not as crowded as guests would want long hours if they weren't going to the party.

We happen to love Boma - we eat there each trip. We love breakfast so much but also enjoy dinner. I can't say for your taste but I think there is a good variety of food.

I don't know November - but we went in February for many years and swam every year but one - so you just don't know.

Sorry I hope that helps.

Thanks for your help. Looks like I will pack the swim suits just in case!

- Considering Mickey's Backyard BBQ. But if we do, it will have to be arrival day since our day off is a Wednesday and I don't think they do the show then? How is the food? What do they even do in the show other than dancing? I haven't found a ton of luck finding that info. I'm also trying to decide if it's worth it anyway since it would take so much time to get over there from AKL. I'm imagining it'd be pretty rushed for arrival day.

While I haven't done this - my brother, SIL, and niece did this when she was 6 yo. They liked it because it seemed laid back, casual, fun. They also happen to be big fans of the items on the menu.

- I'm planning on CRT. I also want to do BBB. I'm thinking of trying for an 8:00 appt at BBB (which is hopefully PPO) and then a lunch time reservation for CRT. I'm not wanting to do this on a party day so I know MK is supposed to be much busier. Any reason this would be better on a party day? We plan on doing open to close at MK on party day, including the party. We did it for MNSSHP and it was fine so we will do it again.

Open to close on a party day??? Wow - okay - I'm exhausted just thinking about that. I think my answer depends on how much your daughter wants to dress up - two days or one? Same costume/different costume? MK is busy on non-party days - so I think the BBB/CRT plan on a non-party day is a good idea. Makes that day special regardless.

- We are getting 7 day park tickets and we will be there 9 days. So, do we go into the park on arrival day (assuming we get an early enough flight and we don't do Mickey's Backyard BBQ) or do we skip the park on arrival day and not take a true day off in the middle? I can see us going into AK on arrival day for dinner/a few rides but my original thought was to go into a park for our day off and stay for the fireworks/nighttime shows (we did this last trip). Any opinions to sway me one way or another? (On our departure day I want to have do a character breakfast and just relax.

I think the full day off someplace in the middle is a good idea for a trip as long as yours and the fact you are buying a 7 day.

- Boma. I can't decide if we should eat here. I have heard great things about it and since we will be staying at AKL, it seems like a no brainer. However, I was not really a fan of Tusker House because I didn't like the food. I'm an adventurous eater and love trying new things and eating different cuisines, but this one didn't do it for me. So I'm afraid I will be disappointed - thoughts? For those that have eaten at both, what would you do?

This is one of my favorite places to eat - both breakfast and dinner. Food is different between Boma and Tusker House.

- Is November still warm enough for the pool? Or does it tend to be hit or miss?

Hit or miss - I had a great afternoon at the pool this last December - it was 81 degrees. The week before this past year - several days the temperature high was in the 40's!

Thanks for any suggestions/advice! My DH is awesome in that he lets me plan everything, but that also means he doesn't give me any opinions when I'm suck!

The only comment I can make is about Boma's. One of the best restaurants at WDW, certainly the best buffet and it happens to right night to what I think is the best restaurant in WDW Jiko's.

We did Mickey's BBQ about 10+ years ago and my father still talks about what a bust it was to this day. Says it's the only thing he didn't like doing when we were little. I honestly can't really remember it.

That time of year I think you'll be ok in regards to crowds. I can't speak from experience but it's right before Thanksgiving and most kids are still in school.

Boma is good and I hear Sanaa is as well.

Granted, we did Mickey's Backyard BBQ over 7 years ago, so I'm not sure it's the same, but our kids at the time were 8, 5 and almost 3 and they enjoyed the heck out of it. Food was typical backyard bbq fare; burgers, corn on the cob, beans, etc., plus ice cream bars. I'm not a drinker, but I know many people were enjoying it because of their ability to get adult beverages. The show consisted of a band that played music. They also had a dude come out and do lasso tricks. When Minnie and Mickey came out and danced with the kids, that was a big hit. We enjoyed it, and I think I would enjoy it more potentially in November, because we did it in June and it was approximately 237 degrees.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think we will take a true day off and we will give Boma a shot. I think I will pick AK to go into on our arrival day since it's right there. I'm still hoping for an early flight and take it easy at the resort for the afternoon going into AK dinner time or later. This will all depend on park hours of course! Thanks again!

See my ***comments / replies *** below :)

- I'm planning on CRT. I also want to do BBB. I'm thinking of trying for an 8:00 appt at BBB (which is hopefully PPO) and then a lunch time reservation for CRT. I'm not wanting to do this on a party day so I know MK is supposed to be much busier. Any reason this would be better on a party day? We plan on doing open to close at MK on party day, including the party. We did it for MNSSHP and it was fine so we will do it again. ***An early BBB appointment is a GREAT plan so she can enjoy being a princess ALL day! ANd CRT for lunch is agreat idea!***

- We are getting 7 day park tickets and we will be there 9 days. So, do we go into the park on arrival day (assuming we get an early enough flight and we don't do Mickey's Backyard BBQ) or do we skip the park on arrival day and not take a true day off in the middle? I can see us going into AK on arrival day for dinner/a few rides but my original thought was to go into a park for our day off and stay for the fireworks/nighttime shows (we did this last trip). Any opinions to sway me one way or another? (On our departure day I want to have do a character breakfast and just relax. ***take a day off in the middle to rest especially if you are going to be having BIG / LONG days in the parks...enjoy the resort or do they BBQ that night***

- Boma. I can't decide if we should eat here. I have heard great things about it and since we will be staying at AKL, it seems like a no brainer. However, I was not really a fan of Tusker House because I didn't like the food. I'm an adventurous eater and love trying new things and eating different cuisines, but this one didn't do it for me. So I'm afraid I will be disappointed - thoughts? For those that have eaten at both, what would you do? ***this is one of my favorite places. There are many different types of food. I would definite try it. I have not been to Tusker house so I cant compare. Mayer make a new post asking about Tusker vs Boma and see how people say they compare. ***

- Is November still warm enough for the pool? Or does it tend to be hit or miss? ***you can very likely enjoy the pools in november - especially mid day [noon through 4 pm] and the pools are all heated to 85 degrees***

Boma is one of our favorite places on property. I have eaten at Tusker House once, and personally wouldn’t do it again. I find Boma much better in terms of both quality and variety. It is also a lot less noisy (but of course is not a character meal, which is part of the reason for that).

My wife and i loved Boma. We thought Tusker house and Jiko were highly overrated. I'm vegan and my wife is vegan and gluten free, so her culinary options are quite limited. The chef personally came out at Boma and told us what we could eat and what we couldn't. For the items that had cheese or meat added in, like a salad, the chef said that he could make some for us before they added them in. To be honest, it was like having a private chef because he brought out plates and plates of food, including desserts. The couple next to us wondered, "hey, how come they get food right to their table and we have to go up and get it ourselves!? No fair!!!!!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter