A human interest piece for everyone

I agree with all of the posts here. I heard about this on the Derek and Romaine show on Sirius OutQ. (gay/lesbian station on Sirius satelite radio) And as Derek said, those people have a nice spot in a very hot place just waiting for their arrival...It's amazing to me also that this is the kind of legislation the radical religious "right" deem necessary and appropriate. The so-called "Christians" somehow think that they are doing God's will by having the rights of others taken away...
Sorry, that's another post.

But we can use this as en example of how we need to educate people about our lives and our relationships, and show them how our relationships are just as commited and loving as any heterosexual relationship. Maybe they will not be so quick to judge us. I believe that fear, hate and discrimination come from just not knowing. Not knowing us, and not knowing that we are not the deviant perverts that we're made out to be. Education is the key to erase hate. I've seen it work.
-Christal

This article hurts my heart. :sad1: Regarding the cousins, I agree Mermaid02. How can they look at themselves in the mirror?

ChrizJen said:
But we can use this as en example of how we need to educate people about our lives and our relationships, and show them how our relationships are just as commited and loving as any heterosexual relationship. Maybe they will not be so quick to judge us. I believe that fear, hate and discrimination come from just not knowing. Not knowing us, and not knowing that we are not the deviant perverts that we're made out to be. Education is the key to erase hate. I've seen it work.
-Christal

We also need to take this time to educate ourselves that we need to protect our SO's. Take the time and effort to make sure all the paper work is in order, that all the "I's" are dotted and "T's" crossed so that this can't happen to you or your "other half".

Unfortunately stuff like this also happens in the Hetro world. I had a co-worker who put his house, etc in his children's name after his first wife, and never bothered to change things once he married again. He passed away and the loving children decided to charge their stepmother rent to stay in the house that had also become her home.

Bottom line, it's not a fun thing to think of our own mortality, but only we can make sure that our loved ones are taken care of once we are gone.

There is a very good article in the current issue of Money magazine that deals with this very issue. It's about two women and their daughter, and tells them what they should be doing, legally and financially, to protect themselves.

I can't find it online, but the title of the article is All in the Family.

:wave: This is my first time posting on the G & L board. Congratulations, BTW! :sunny:

I read the People article about this man and I was just sickened by the injustice he has suffered. Now to find out his partner's cousins are suing for back rent?!! How can they possibly live with themselves? They obviously have no regard for their deceased cousin's wishes (they had to know how much he loved this man)!

After reading a story like this, I have a question. There is a thread on the CB about a radio station contest in which two strangers are going to get married--they won't meet until they are getting married.

Here's the thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1033352&highlight=BIL+groom+wedding+vote

My question is this: Does it upset you that you can't legally marry the person you love, but that two complete strangers can get married--all in the name of entertainment? :rolleyes: I think it's ridiculous, especially when so many people against same-sex marriage use the whole "sanctity of marriage" argument. If two complete strangers getting married for a radio promotion isn't an affront to the sanctity of marriage, I don't know what is!

Sorry for the long post. I'm stepping off my soapbox now, but I would love to hear your opinions on this.

I'm thoroughly disgusted at those cousins....its that type of behavior that keeps me in the somewhat activist mode I've been in for numerous years. As we grow older....I watch as life changes for some, but not others. I happen to be lucky to live in CT, where G&L people have some sort of rights, I can't imagine the pain of living in the "heartland" (or is it the "wasteland", after read this story) of America and having to deal with this sort of thing. :confused3 :confused3

Wow... you know, just this morning I was thinking about how I think I might want to quit my job to go to law school, study Public Interest Law and go to work for (or at least volunteer for) organizations like the ACLU. The more I read articles like this, the more determined I become to go that route. Human rights shouldn't be trampled on, and those who think this isn't a matter of human rights are just wrong.

Reading this gives me one more reason to be glad I live in Canada. My Nana and Papa divorced in 1970 and shes been with her partner since 1977. Her partner just past away on Thursday. She was a member of our family. I grew up with her around and it was normal for me. They didnt officially get married but they still dont have to worry about all the crap that this poor man had to. It is so wrong, I just feel sick that there is people in the world like his cousins. I dont know all the legal stuff that my Nana and her partner went through but they don't have to worry about anybody NOT recognizing them as a couple.

Oh, I am just SO proud of my state, NOT! :eek:

The saddest experiences that I have had since I moved to Oklahoma in 1991 have been about friends that have come out to me. It is so heartbreaking to hear their stories of discrimination!

Aack! :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing, I didn't know..... :guilty:

This is disgusting and why I always tell my best friend that she needs to protect herself. Her partner has a good paying job, the life insurance, 401k and the house and car all under her name. And she also has 12 siblings. My best friend is self-employed and doesn't make much but does EVERYTHING with respect to paying the bills, cleaning, cooking, etc. God forbid anything happen to her partner and knowing those 12 siblings my best friend will lose everything. She thinks with a good lawyer she would win but it totally scares me what can happen to her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter