A little DDP help, please.

Kick Save

DIS Veteran
We are considering the DDP for our upcoming trip in August. Our whole trip will be from the 11th to the 18th, but split across two reservations. (11 and 12 at a value, 13 thru 18 at VWL.) So, we're considering adding the DDP to our DVC reservation. We had the DDE last year, and it more than paid for itself, so we're somewhat leary about forging ahead with the DDP.

We typically schedule an ADR every night we're there, and have six scheduled for the trip in August. So, from the theory I've read here many times of, "If you use your TS credits it's worth it," then we should be OK. But, even though we eat like kings at dinner, we usually don't have a big breakfast or a big lunch. Add on that we usually eat in the room, utilizing our kitchen or mini-kitchen, for both breakfast and lunch and we're kind of on the edge of savings.

So, just fishing for a few opinions on those that have done the dining plan to see if it helps us out in the whole decision process. Right now we're leaning towards doing it as we think it'll pay for itself pretty easily given our dinner habits. But, like anything that involves more than $20, we have to check and recheck to make sure. :)

BTW, "We" is myself, DW, DS7, and DS3.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, I read that the DDP is effective for each night of your stay. So, if you're staying Sun-Thur do you still have Friday to use some of the credits?

It's free during that time frame - so why would you not add it for your stay??

And it is good until midnight of the day you check out so you should have all day Friday to use your credits.

It's not free to DVC members using points to stay. I say plan a few CS as snacks (1cs for 3people) to help make up some savings. Maybe even not cook lunch or breakfast a day here or there or bring a CS back as lunch instead of cooking. I know with us we saved $70 just on a TS meals not adding in CS or snacks. As many people say look at the menus on allears add up what you would get without the dining plan adding in tax and tip see what that total is compared to what the dining plan costs are. You never know you might find that you don't cook or fix as many meals at "home" if you have them available pre-paid at the parks.
HTH

BBGirl said:
As many people say look at the menus on allears add up what you would get without the dining plan adding in tax and tip see what that total is compared to what the dining plan costs are. You never know you might find that you don't cook or fix as many meals at "home" if you have them available pre-paid at the parks.
Did all that. :)

What we're looking at is DDE card on just the dinners each night (including the $60 for the card) is ~$457 for 6 TS dinners. (Not including gratuity...I think I have just found the piece I forgot. ;) ) DDP for just the five nights of the DVC stay would be $490. I'd have to pay OOP for our first night's TS meal at Liberty Tree, so that tacks on $82 to the DDP option. But even at that, the $115 difference for lunch and snacks (which will be a few breakfasts, I'm sure) is pretty tough to beat.

And you're point on not preparing as many meals at "home" is a big one, we're in a studio, so no full kitchen. We'd be limited to easy mac, hot dogs, things like that for our lunches. Breakfast is no biggie, we're pretty much an oatmeal and cereal family as it is.

DDP would also pretty much nix a grocery stop on the way in, too. Another bonus.

I'm leaning more towards the DDP now, just figured I'd use the crowd as a sounding board. Anybody spot any glaring holes? (Like me forgetting to tip... :teeth: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter