A little off topic - Breakfast with Shamu??

sadiebug

Mouseketeer
Has anyone done Breakfast with Shamu at Sea World in San Diego? Is it worth it? Let me know your experiences!! Thanks!! :banana:

We did lunch with Shamu last May, my dd then 4 loved it, I was not as impressed. I didn't think the trainers spent enough time with people and did not move around much. The food was not great (and I didn't expect it to be) Overall I would not do it again, but am glad we did it because she loved it sooo much

Please do let me know how it goes!! My daughter would probably enjoy it, but we are staying at HOJO in Anaheim and I'm not sure it is worth getting up that early to drive down there....

It's pretty costly -- I'm glad we did it once, but I don't know that I'd do it again at those prices. We got incredibly lucky, in that two of the whales just hung out about 4 feet from our table for about 40 minutes. I did not think the trainers did a great job of moving the whales around. There were definitely some people who did not get as much whale interaction as others -- in other words, there was definitely some whale jealousy and a little "mommy, why isn't Corky coming over here." You know if you get in that vacation mode where things are starting to get so expensive that you say, "what's a little more," and don't stress about the cash, it's pretty neat. Figure you're going to have to eat any way, and Sea World food is expensive anyway, and it softens the blow a little. We got a fair amount of video, and it's a fun part of our vacation film that we've watched a few times.

I actually don't find it to be that expensive, especially if you compare it to any of the breakfast buffets at WDW or DLR. It's $14.95 for adults and $11.95 for kids aged 3-9 (+ tax). It says it's all-you-can-eat, and I was surprised it only cost that much. We can't wait! :sunny:

I did the Dinner with Shamu (got it as a gift - no clue on cost) and LOVED it. I don't remember the food at all, so I assume it was fine. They brought me a birthday cake and everything - that was fun (with no singing = thank my lucky stars for that one).

I was not under the impression that the trainers would be 'moving them around' (the pool is relatively small for more than one orca to maneuver around much), so we were fine with how they each hung out at different parts of the pool. We just walked around and took pictures at our leisure between trips to the buffet tables. You really do get very very close to them, and the trainers are there to answer any questions you might have. They don't perform necessarily, but the baby did play a bit. No one got spashed while we were there, but as the saying goes, anywhere within 30 feet of a killer whale is a splash zone.

HAVE FUN!!!

bunninose said:
I was not under the impression that the trainers would be 'moving them around' (the pool is relatively small for more than one orca to maneuver around much), so we were fine with how they each hung out at different parts of the pool. We just walked around and took pictures at our leisure between trips to the buffet tables. You really do get very very close to them, and the trainers are there to answer any questions you might have. They don't perform necessarily, but the baby did play a bit. No one got spashed while we were there, but as the saying goes, anywhere within 30 feet of a killer whale is a splash zone.

HAVE FUN!!!

This sounds considerably different from what we did. Maybe because we were there on a Saturday in the summer (last summer) it is different. The pool they did it on was enormous. It was the entire back portion of Shamu stadium -- I would say a pool of about 500 feet by 500 feet at least. There were probably about 100 to 150 tables arranged around it, and there were 4 or 5 whales, which is why the trainers had to move them around to visit everyone. Some of the tables went 4 deep.

Sounds like they might do different things at different times of year.

As for the cost, we definitely did not pay $13. We had the lunch, and it was about $33 per adult and $20 something for a child -- well in excess of $100 for three, with gratuity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter