A quick report on a long overdue trip: Disney Fantasy 3/12/22 & Galactic Starcruiser 3/19-21

hnthomps

Mouseketeer
We are just back from an amazing trip to the caribbean and "space" and I wanted to post a quick report. That said, I'm not going to post photos or get into a ton of detail -- for the cruise because, well, I've done it twice before, and for GS because I want to avoid spoilers. But I thought it would be helpful to put up an overview of what we did, some of the logistics, how things worked in this strange time of rule changing, and so forth.

Cast of Characters: myself, my husband (D), my children P (age 10) and J (age 8), and my sister-in-law C.

Overview of the trip - this was a rebook of a rebook of a rebook of a March 2020 vacation that started as a land and sea, then morphed into just land, then WDW shut down the day we were supposed to arrive.

Friday 3/11 - transit from Chicago to Orlando, dinner with extended family at Il Mulino, spend the night at the MCO Hyatt
Saturday 3/12 - DCL transfer to Port Canavarel, board the Fantasy; depart
Sunday 3/13 - At Sea
Monday 3/14 - Cozumel
Tuesday 3/15 - At Sea (originally Grand Cayman)
Wednesday 3/16 - Falmouth
Thursday 3/17 - At Sea
Friday 3/18 - Castaway Cay
Saturday 3/19 - Port Canavarel / transit to Galactic Starcruiser,
Sunday 3/20 - GS / GE
Monday 3/21 - checkout, fly home to Chicago

A few days before we left we learned that ours would be the first masks optional cruise. At embarkation we learned that we no longer needed kids club reservations. During the cruise we saw some rules seeming to relax (or maybe just the enforcement thereof!) but some still in place - sometimes in ways that seemed a bit contradictory? But, I am not a public health official.

It was an AMAZING trip.

Our Disney background -- We spent 2 days at Disneyland in 2017, and presidents day weekend at WDW in 2019. We did the same Western Fantasy itinerary in 2016 & 2018 (though those sailings both included Star Wars Day at Sea). We were scheduled to do a slightly different itinerary in March 2020, so this trip was PIF over 2 years ago -- and, in fact, we had a lot of on board credit from the cancelled cruise, which had been slightly more expensive than this one. So all of our port adventures and tips were "free", as was most of our on board shopping and drinking.

Our Star Wars background - Return of the Jedi was the first movie I saw in theaters, and my older brother helped keep me interested. I've seen all the movies and TV shows and read a few of the books. My husband is about as big a Star Wars fan as you can get. Our 10 year old is very into the whole series, including clone wars etc, and can hold his own with his demographic. Our 8 year old has seen a couple of the movies and knows a couple of the characters.

While I usually am a planner, I did very little advance planning this time. Because it had cancelled so many times, it really didn't feel like it was actually going to happen until we were on board!

With that out of the way, I'll dive in!

Our original March 2020 vacation had included a pre-cruise WDW jaunt with my in-laws where we would, among other things, celebrate a milestone birthday. So we all converged 2 years later and had planned overlapping schedules to at least have dinner Friday night before the cruise, even if it wasn't quite a milestone year. Our flight was a little delayed, so we basically went straight from checking into the MCO Hyatt to being picked up by C (who had arrived a few days earlier) to go to dinner. It was all uneventful and good. The airport hotel was, as always, comfortable and convenient.

Saturday - Boarding the Fantasy
In the morning we had breakfast and then waited for the DCL transport. The system has changed a bit since 2018, but was all clearly explained and easy to follow - they picked up our luggage in the morning, then we waited in the lobby for the bus, etc. When we got to the terminal, we went to the covid test tents. It was drizzling, so they moved us through the lines pretty quickly.

This was the most nervewracking part -- I'd spent a lot of emotional energy planning what to do if one of us tested positive (which was unlikely - the grownups had gotten PCRs 11 days out, to rule out an asymptomatic infection within the recovery window, and both tested negative. The kids take PCR tests at school weekly. We took antigen tests before leaving home. But still, I'd read enough horror stories of folks turned away at the port!). We got the all clear 27 minutes after getting tested, which wasn't bad. For those wondering - no snacks or access to checked luggage in the test tents, but you can use the bathrooms (which are in trailers, but very nice ones)

There was a power surge while we were waiting in between passport control and security, which slowed us down as the machines came back online, so by the time we got to the escalator our boarding group (5) had already been called. We were able to walk straight through and on to the ship, and the terminal was pretty empty (all the crowds and waiting are moved to the covid test tents, I guess!). They announced us and we headed straight to cabanas for lunch. The kids were eating soft serve by 1230pm, so the whole morning did not take that long!

The muster drill was simple - we just had to find our station and check in with the CM. They online system wasn't working, so they wrote our names down, but we couldnt' check in via the app like we were supposed to. At 4pm they still played the alarm and showed a video on the stateroom TV, but we didn't have to go through a formal drill.

The rest of the day was spent reacquainting ourselves with the ship, getting kids set up in the kids club (once we learned it was no longer reservation only), meeting princesses, doing a first mystery, watching the departure, etc. We saw dolphins as we were pulling out, surprisingly close to port.

Dinner (early seating) was at Royal Court. It was a bit of a mess, the serving team seemed not to have their groove going -- every person's order was slightly wrong, and we aren't even that complicated! We worried about what that would mean for the rest of the trip, but it was a one time thing.

Sunday was a sea day. The kids were up bright and early as always, and we were confused about the time -- had it "sprung forward" or not?? Our phones had adjusted an hour ahead, so we assumed it had. We had claimed a great location by the pool and were all set up when I thought to ask a CM when the aquaduck would open. At 9, he said, and I said "but it's 9:05?" and that's when I figured it out. Oh well!

We had a relaxed day at sea. The kids were mostly in and out of the pools and slides, each going to the club at various times -- P for gaga ball, J for super sloppy science (Stitch is her favorite) -- and each doing mysteries. At some point we also played mini golf and J went to a craft activity with C.

This was the day J decided she was still into characters (she was VERY into it the previous time, but she'd only been 4. We weren't sure if this would hold at 8, it did). There was still no specific schedule for character meet and greets -- the app would just indicate when characters would appear and where, but not which characters. However, if you asked, CMs would be able to give you a good idea. "I haven't known Stitch to be the kind to get dressed up, but he usually likes to celebrate pirate night" for example.

C & D had dinner at Remy at 630, so they joined us for the start of formal night but then peeled off. They had an amazing time -- since C had as much OBC as we did (from the same cancelled 2020 cruise) they basically ordered every add on you can get -- cavier, wine pairing, upgrading the wine pairing, fancy water, sauternes to close it out. Meanwhile the kids and I enjoyed Animators (Crush) and headed to Aladdin (P went to the kids club in between dinner and the show, J did all the photo ops, then we had time to do another mystery).

I keep saying the kids "did another mystery" -- they each did the midship detective many time. I lost count. P did each of the 2 "easy" mysteries at least 3 times, and did the muppets enough times that he got every single culprit option (and some twice). J did the muppets twice, and each of the others maybe 3 or 4 times? I didn't think it would be fun to replay that much, but they thought it was hilarious. It's obviously not hard, per se, especially after the first time, but it's exciting to see how the story develops, I guess?

We headed back to the room after the show and collapsed. The kids switched who got the top & bottom bunks as there was no agreeing who deserved it more!

Last edited:
Monday in Cozumel was our first port day. Kids managed to sleep until 7 (eyeroll), but P amused us by saying "are we just not going to talk about how my porg has spiderman powers?" -- he had bought one of the shoulder porgs (small stuffed animal with a magnet bottom that stands on a piece of magnetic felt, which you can put under your shoulder to have a shoulder porg, or groot, or whatever) and realized it could stick to the cabin walls. Making the porg travel around the room like spiderman occupied a surprising amount of the morning!

We had a slow-ish breakfast, did another mystery, and then met in the theater at 930am for our excursion. We had the Playa Mia Beach Break excursion. We got a text message that morning telling us that "due to the Disney bubble" certain areas of the beach we were going to would be off limits. But it was very unclear what parts.

We were told as we entered the theater that Mexico would require us to wear masks "all the time" we were in the country. Since this was a beach excursion, there was immediate pushback -- even outdoors? several people asked. The CM said "The Mexican officials will tell you more when you get off the ship". But then a different CM said "oh, you won't have to wear a mask at the beach! that would be horrible!" and then the next CM said "Please wear your mask the entire time you are off the ship". So, needless to say that was confusing.

We then had to wait a long time -- well past the time we were required to arrive in the theater - and we all started to get annoyed. The CM who was in charge of us kept trying to tell jokes and entertain us, which she was great about, but still. Then she decided to read the description of the port adventure, which included a lengthy description of all the areas that may or may not be closed to us...and of course she had no information about what would actually be closed.

Anyway, it was all annoying, and took too long, but eventually we got to the beach! They had cordoned off an area for us that included beach and pool access and one inflatable area, but not the other water park. Free adult beverages were included, and I have no complaints about anything that happened while we were actually there. The waiters were attentive, the pool was pristine, the beach chairs and umbrellas were provided, the kids could use floats and kayaks, the drinks were great, and the food was adequate. If I were going in non-covid times, I would absolutely have just taken a cab on my own and paid for entry, but given the pandemice restrictions we didn't want to wander out of the "disney bubble"

(there was an absurd thing about how the "bubble" was enforced that meant if we had wanted to go shopping in port after our excursion we would have had to scan into the boat then scan right back out again -- I can get into it if anyone has questions, but I am sure the rules will change again in another few weeks, so won't really bother).

We were back on board around 4. It was "unofficial pirate night". Some of us dressed up, others didn't. We did some photos before dinner, and then after dinner both kids went to the club. D had to do some work - he'd made the mistake of checking email in between the beach and dinner and finding a problem in need of solving. He and his sister had promised their parents some pirate photos, so they did a few more, but then he had to go back to the cabin to work.

Fireworks were at 830. J was desperate to see pirate stitch, so C and I did some recon. Daisy's handler told me Stitch would be out "on a roam" starting at 8pm and "It's up to Stitch whether he enters on deck 3 4 or 5". The text exchange we had was hilarious trying to figure out where to wait for the best chance of seeing Pirate Stitch -- it would have been a disaster to miss him. I went to get J from the club at 8:00, but there was a line, so I was getting frantic texts from C when Stitch appeared. Luckily it all worked out and J had a lovely interaction.

A note on characters -- the photo ops in the atrium were set up with a spot on the ground marking where the guest could stand a little bit in front of the character (I don't think a full 6 feet!). Despite the distancing, the interactions were awesome. The handlers were working so hard to make it special, and the characters were great. Stitch is always fun, but ALL of them went above and beyond to interact. I was really impressed with how well it was done. I think I mentioned above that specific schedules weren't posted for individual characters, and there were also fewer than in the past (no tinker bell, Sophia, Doc, Anna, or Elsa, for example), but there were more random roaming characters than I remember -- the toy soldiers doing a drill on the pool deck a few times, for example, and other characters just walking around outdoors as well as indoors.

Anyway, after Stitch we went up to deck for the fireworks. P was mad because apparently I'd interrupted him right as he was finally about to win some marvel game? I hadn't meant to force him to leave (he had self checkout) but I guess bc I was picking J up and checking on him, it came across that I wanted him to leave too. The kids were both tired and thus a bit grumpy. So C had the kids do a planking contest (this evolved from walking the plank, I think??) which was extra hilarious as she was in an incredible pirate costume (with the spiderman porg on her shoulder as a parrot!). The fireworks were great, and then the kids went to bed. D had to keep working (he'd joined us for the actual fireworks) so I went out and about a bit once the kids were settled.

(this report is turning out to be more detailed than I thought it would be! hah!)

Last edited:
Tuesday - another sea day. We were sad to miss Grand Cayman, but still - vacation is vacation! It's hard to complain.
This was more or less a repeat of Sunday. J and I went to the 830am showing of Turning Red (it was so good!) which she had already watched on Disney+ on the plane to Orlando, but wanted me to see, which was sweet. Other than that, the day consisted of pool, aquaduck, pool, characters, pool, mysteries, pool, princess, enchanted garden, Frozen.

A note on the pools! They were capacity restricted to 13 people in the pool at a time. The ship was at about 70% capacity, we were told (almost 3,000 guests). We found that in the morning on sea days there was no problem with pool access -- if the pool was full and someone showed up, they would start a line, and then blow the whistle when it was time for the kids in the pool to get out and let the next group in. Before about 12, almost always if a kid got out of the pool they could more or less get right back in because the line up for the next set of kids was less than 13. My kids never had to wait more than one rotation (~15min) out of the pool, and the line was usually off to the side in the shade in view of funnel vision. So while of course being able to be in the pool all the time would be preferable, this system meant there was room for the kids to actually swim a bit, which they liked.

Wednesday - Falmouth. We had the zip line & water park excursion, and had signed up for the earliest departure. We had to be in the theater at 745am, which felt annoyingly early but ended up being a good thing.

Getting off the boat and into the actual excursion happened much faster than it had in Cozumel - no delays this time, not sure why.

We were one of the first busses to arrive at the estate, and our family was toward the front of the zip line line. We then were pulled to the very front because J was the smallest kid (you have to be between 50 and 250lbs, and she weighs just barely over 50lbs). The guide took her across the first zip line attached to him. She was able to do later ones on her own. But I guess just based on size they skipped us to the front (another family with a similarly sized child would have gone first, but their kid got scared and stepped aside for a bit).

So our experience was pretty great -- the zip lining was really fun, the staff were amazing, and we did more zip lines that we expected. Then we had a little more than an hour at the pool area, which was the perfect amount of time. There weren't a lot of food options for lunch (especially for the picky kids and the vegetarian adult) but we had brought granola bars, and our bus back to the ship was at 12:30. So overall, we had a great time. The kids even made friends at the pool.

But I heard later that it was not nearly so good for many people -- those who arrived on the later busses, or even who were toward the end of the line for our bus -- had to spend a lot more time waiting around than we did, and didn't get as much time in the pool. Some folks didn't get any swimming time, and I saw one other person get really upset because the description of the excursion had said shuttles to the boat left every hour on the hour, but then she was told she had to return with her original bus -- a pandemic adjustment that wasn't clear in advance.

So, overall, it was great for us and I would recommend it based on that, but it seems clear that being on the earliest departure was helpful.

Back on the boat we had a quick lunch, and then P went to the club and J read her book for a while and then did some mysteries. She wrote a note for the friend she'd made at the excursion, and we magically managed to find their stateroom and deliver the note before dinner. Dinner was back in Royal Court. After, P wanted to do the nighttime aquaduck, but J said she needed to go to bed -- she even turned down the character dance party (and she loves to dance!) so we knew she was serious. D took P on the aquaduck -- they were able to go many times in a row, and ran into the friend he had made on the excursion, which was great. We let P sleep in C's room so as not to wake J, who had totally crashed.

I'll pick up tomorrow to finish up the cruise details!

Last edited:

When I said "I'll pick up tomorrow" I apparently meant "in two days".

Thursday - another sea day, once again with perfect lovely weather. The kids spent the morning at the pool, and the grownups hung out reading /sunbathing on the deck. I did laundry, sigh, but it was easy and uneventful. At 12:30 the kids had planned to meet their friends from the day before at the club, which was convenient since D and I had Palo brunch. Brunch was excellent, there's no more buffet of course because of Covid, but the food was good and the view amazing, etc. The kids were still in the club when we got back, but C left to get Juliet soon after as the two of them were going to the Princess Tea.

J is a little old for the princess tea, I think, or at least she's more or less outgrown the princesses, and had done the Tea in 2018 - but in 2020 she had still wanted to do it, and C had signed up for it with her, and we'd just carried it forward to this one even though she was older. They apparently had a lovely time, even though the character interactions were again of course diminished and each group sat at its own table. I had suggested to C in advance that since J already had (and had not played with in 3+ years) the Cinderella doll and other toys that come in the usual package of gifts for this tea, that perhaps she could get the Knights package, or whatever they call it. This went over really well with J! She was the only little girl (it was only girls) to chooes that package-and apparently they offered to give her the doll too anyway and C was quick to refuse, our suitcases are only so big. So she got a sword & shield (with Maleficent-as-dragon on it), a Duffy bear, an activity book, 3 pins (one per princess) and maybe some other things I don't remember. She did not get the printed photo or autograph book they used to give, I think because of covid rules.

Meanwhile, D had a spa appointment and I took P to play shuffelboard and minigolf and generally make him feel like he also got to do something special (though I reminded him we were about to go on a whole star wars adventure, mostly for him, not his sister!).

It was show night in animators, and that was, as always, amazing. Everyone's drawing made it in, with good opportunities for everyone to exclaim about their own creation in the proper way. This was one of a few moments where the ship not being at capacity really felt good. After dinner J& D did the aquaduck, C had a spa appointment and I took P to the magic show.

Friday - Castaway Cay ! We had a 9am stingray tour, so we headed there after a leisurely breakfast and watching the ship dock, etc. At first J was really nervous (she didn't love how the snorkel felt, etc) so all 3 adults spent a fair amount of time getting her acclimated and happy (P didn't have the same issues and happily fed the rays at the feeding station). This sort of backfired ... in the end she was happily snorkeling all over the entire lagoon, finding rays and looking at fish, way far all the way out...while her older brother stayed right on the beach complaining that the fish were biting him. We were not able to change his mind.

After that, D ran back to the room to grab our backpacks with beach toys and gear (it hadn't been clear to us whehter we could have brought them -- but we now know we could have) and the rest of us went to grab a spot on the family beach. It was 10am and already crowded -- not as crowded as the height of a full capacity day, but it still took a while to find chairs (I guess some must have been removed and spaced out?). We also rented a couple of the donut shaped float things due to intense begging on the part of the small fry. The kids went right into the water and C and I hung out. D joined us around 1030 and we had a lovely beach morning -- the kids found their friends from the other day and had some elaborate games going.

At lunch time the line at cookies built quickly. I don't remember having to wait so long before, but maybe I just repressed that! and the fruit was hot, which was annoying -- the plates had come out of the dishwasher recently, but the melon had also been sitting in the sun. After lunch D & C went to rent bikes while I hung out with the kids in the water. Then P wanted to go biking, so he and D did that while C sunbathed and I swam with J.

We headed back to the room mid-afternoon for a little indoor time and packing. Each kid did one last mystery and we returned the kids club bands and saw the characters that were out. We had dinner at Enchanted Garden, and then went to the 730pm dance party on the deck, which was a ton of fun. P was annoyed that we didn't let him do the aquaduck because his bathing suits were packed. We went back to the room and all tried to go to bed early, given the excitement to come...

A few random notes--
-all the "buffets" were still CM service only. This obviously is more hygenic, but I hated it. It was slow, and you had to be super specific about what you wanted ("2 pieces of cantaloup and 3 of honeydew please") and wait in longer lines. Plus often you couldn't get silverware where you asked, etc. Obviously this is a worthwhile sacrifice for public health! But, you know, not great. And the lines for coffee and juice at breakfast were always really long
-The drink stations on the deck were self serve for water and soda but CM service for coffee. Weird, I know.
-For the quick serve, you had to wait in one line and then go to whichever window was available and order from any of the places. So you could be at the pizza window (far left) ordering fruit (far right). This was fine, but if you didn't know what you wanted it was a little hard. Plus, again, you had to be super specific about how much you wanted of anything, if you needed ketchup, etc.
-masks were still required in the walt disney theater, but that was it. The buena vista theater had alternate rows blocked off for distancing, but the walt disney did not.
-We had really interesting and honest conversations with some crew members about what it was like during and post covid shut down -- one of them was on the ship the whole time, confined to his cabin 23 hours a day for 3 months! but he came back!
-the kids club was great. Andy's Room was blocked off and reserved for the unvaccinated under-5s. I don't know how it worked for them, but from my kids' perspective, that was fine. They could come and go as they pleased, and didn't have as many little kids bothering them as they might have otherwise.
-I know I mentioned the character interactions before, but I really was impressed with how well they went, all things considered!

That's enough for now - next update will get us off the boat, through (arguably too many) disney busses and on board the Galactic Starcruiser!

Last edited:
Saturday: Off the boat and into the galaxy!

I'm going to be a little vague about plot points of the interactive elements, as I think it is most fun to be surprised by how some of it develops. Though, of course, any adult familiar enough with this franchise to want to spend a vacation here surely knows enough about story arc and character to predict most of how it plays out -- but it's still done quite well.

We had to be at breakfast at 7:10am, so we were up early and watched another ship docking before saying final goodbyes to our cabin and heading to breakfast. From there we went straight to waiting in the atrium, and were allowed off the boat around 8. We had paid for DCL transfers, and had spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out what that would mean for us. The busses from Port Canavarel leave at 9am, and drop passengers off at WDW. It seemed bizarre to us that they couldn't just drop us at GS. Our travel agent kept being told the bus would take us to Art of Animation, and she kept saying that wasn't good enough - what would happen with our luggage, etc. I had posted about this question on these boards, and no one really knew what would happen.

Ultimately, we asked on the ship and they said the official word from Disney was to take us to Art of Animation, but we should just "ask the bus driver".

So we decided to do that - but there was some anxiety about what would happen with our luggage while we waited until we could uber to GS. We had a lunch reservation for 1145 in DS, but weren't exactly excited about it, it just seemed like as good a way as any to use the time.

So when we got to the bus around 815, the bus driver and dispatch folks were a little baffled about what to do with us "The new Star Cruiser? Oh, yeah, I know where that is. Says here to take them to Art of Animation" "We can't take them there! they can't walk! they have luggage" "well, gee, what do you think" etc. Finally the bus driver said "I'll take them - and we'll have a little adventure in space if I have to, but I'll do it after the other resorts so we aren't bothering other folks"

The bus left right at 9am. We started dropping people at other resorts around 1015, and finally got to Galactic Star Cruiser at 10:55. We pulled up to the security gate and waited. The guard came on boad and got our names, and then said we couldn't come in until 11. The bus driver said "so, can I just ... wait here for 3 minutes?" and the guard talked on his walkie-talkie and then said we had to come back at 11:15. There was one more group on the bus still, going to the Swan, so the bus driver drove around the GS (we all were delighted to drive around the back), back to the Swan, and then back to GS and finally dropped us off at 11:22. By that point we'd been sitting on the bus for over 3 hours. We were swarmed by CMs who knew our names and had our mbands ready and waiting. They took our luggage and hustled us quickly to the DS bus line. We asked if J could use the bathroom and they seemed almost sad when they sad she couldn't.

The bus came quickly, we took it with one other family, had an uneventful (but overpriced) lunch, and were back on the bus and back to GS a little after 130pm. It was, of course, much more crowded then! There were swarms of people, and we had to line up in a small hallway. When we scanned our mbands, P's didn't work, so they had to go get him a new one (without his name on the back), and between the hours on the bus, the trip to disney springs, the crowds, the delay, and the general exhaustion, the line and the hallway started to feel very tight. But, it really didn't take all that long.

The immersive feeling kicked in right away. We appreciated the entry safety video drawing a distinction between red-alert lights (for immersive emergencies) and white alert lights (for real ones). We boarded the "transport pod" which really got us excited -- J was genuinely confused about whether it was an elevator or not.

Our first glance at the lobby was almost overwhelming. It really felt like we were in a completely different world, without being disquieting. We decided to go check out our room and then get datapads for the kids and explore. At this point despite the crowds at check in, it still felt empty in the atrium, and there were more blue shirted employees than guests.

We were in room 1426. The kids immediately chose bunks, turned on the window, scrolled through the tv welcome videos, and talked to the room droid. I unpacked a little (mostly finding places to stash the suitcases of cruise stuff we wouldn't need!) and then some of us changed into costumes (two jedi, jyn erso, and a pratorian guard) and went out to explore. I went to guest services and was issued two "datapads" (Iphones) for the kids. I asked the guest services staff how to set them up and he said "just sign in with your account" and I said "for both kids? even though I'm signed in on my account on my phone?" and he said "yes" and I said "are you sure?" and he said "yes, I'm sure".

So, before you get any further -- he was wrong. We'll learn that later, but you can learn it now.

I then handed the phones off to the kids, and we continued exploring. D went to the shop, P taught himself sabacc in the cantina and started playing, and J started trying to do quests on the datapad. We went back to the room after a bit for snacks (later, there would be snacks out in the atrium, but never at a time when my kids were hungry that wouldn't also ruin dinner -- they put them out at 4pm, and we had 530 dinner). We talked to the room droid again, and did some negotiations on her behalf, which was fun. It was almost time for the "muster drill" so we headed back to the atrium. It started to seem like maybe the datapads weren't working correctly - mine wasn't working at all, and J's seemed to have already done something she hadn't done yet. But D's was working, and he was quickly accepting quests and off and running.

The muster drill of course introduces many of the main characters and the major plot points. A couple cast members talked to us specifically as we were waiting, and helped set things up for us in a really nice way. It was extremely well done overall - the characters were clear and specific, and the storylines were clear.

We had lightsaber training right after the muster drill, but I thought maybe I could get the datapads fixed - however, the guest services staff urged me to go to lightsaber training first, as they would not let us in late.

lightsaber training was fantastic. J was picked to be the first /demo student, which made her happy (and was reflected in her later interactions with the person leading lightsaber training, via datapad comms). The experience was well beyond our expectations.

After that, I went to guest services, and had to wait in a line, and meanwhile both kids were frantically asking why they couldn't do any cool quests while their dad was off already running missions. They were annoyed, which made me annoyed, etc. By the time I got to a person, I was ....not my best self. I hope I remained polite? I am sure I sounded annoyed and somewhat entitled as I explained the issue, including the earlier staff member's assurance that it would work. The woman helping me was very nice, but it took a really long time - I had to make accounts for the kids, then link them to my account, and this sounds easy, but there was 2 step verification 4 separate times (2x per kid) and twice it messed up, and once I had to reset my entire disney.com password. Then it finally totally worked for the kids, and I handed off their datapads and they ran off to do quests before dinner...but it still didn't work on my phone. I was upgraded to a supervisor, who said I should just use one of their phones as well. I was at this point VERY glad to have chosen a (DIY) Jyn Erso costume, as my vest had many pockets for the many phones I was now carrying!

By then it was dinner time - we had the 530 seating. The food was surprisingly delicious, as were the cocktails. J was reallly weirded out by the way everything looked, but she got to order off the kids menu and her pizza looked normal. P, age 10, counted as an adult and was a total champ about trying everything.

The show portion of the dinner was surprisingly good -- the original songs were better than I expected, and it again contributed to the overall feeling of being on another planet. Gaya really felt like a super star - she had great stage presence - and the background story (characters sneaking through the dining room, with help from other characters, in ways invisible to other characters but visible to us) was again clear and easy to follow.

We had bridge training scheduled for 830, but J was exhausted. We had been up early to get off the real ship, and it had been a long day after a week with some later than usual nights. So she just wanted to go to bed. We talked to guest services, and they switched J, D, and C to bridge training the next day. It seemed really easy to make such schedule requests. D had a thing he had to do for a bit on his computer anyway, so after a few post-dinner quests, he took J back to the room right when P and I headed to bridge training (C's husband had joined her, so they were off on their own enjoying the lounge).

Bridge training was also awesome, and the way the story intersected with what we were doing on the bridge was super cool. We later realized that if you watched on your room "window" you could tell when other groups were doing bridge training, since the plot progresses for everyone. I was really impressed with how they managed to have enough interactions that every guest got to have mechanically the same bridge training even as the plot moved forward. I only know details about what happened in ours and in the one D,C, J went to the next day, but they were identical in format but completely different in character staffing and plot points, of course.

After bridge training, P and I had some missions we had to do. But around 915 he also got extremely tired and wanted to go to bed. So I took him to the room, and then swapped so D could go to the final interactions, which he recorded on his phone for us to watch later, and then he tried to fulfill some quests from earlier, but everything pretty much shut down at 10 -- plus, the things he was supposed to do ("help character in engineering") related to things that had already happened in the plot of the story. While some missions are static or can happen other times, most of them have to happen within a specific window or they time out.

I realize this is both a lot of writing and not a lot of specifics...I'm happy to answer questions, of course. I no longer have access to our itinerary or datapad results (this is a piece of feedback -- I really wish there was a way to access a record of what we did in the accounts after leaving) but it's still recent enough that I remember most of it.

Last edited:
It’s a shame they haven’t figured out transfers from the cruises yet. And unfortunately no surprise that some of the tech stuff didn’t work as staff expected. But it sounds like you made the best of it and were rewarded with some great experiences.

Sunday - The Halycon's port day on Batuu -
We had never been to Galaxy's Edge before, and while I had done a TON of research and planning leading up to our 2020 vacation, I hadn't dared refresh my memory before this trip. We kept thinking it might get cancelled again, or we might pop positive at the port before the cruise, or on the cruise...I just couldn't dare get my hopes up. With the result that when I woke up Sunday morning I realized we were basically going into Galaxy's Edge blind. Luckily, this didn't matter.

We woke up early, as always. "Transport pods" were available starting at 8:15. Our app said we were scheduled for 8:40, but we were there before that and it didn't matter. We basically had breakfast, put on sunscreen, and got going. We all had comms on our datapads for various missions to run when we got to Batuu. All of us had things to do by Smuggler's Run, so we decided to do that first. We had reservations for lightsabers and droids (depending on the person) at 12:30, so our loose plan was to do rides and missions until about 1130, then have lunch, then go to our reservations, then see if we wanted to stay in the park.

We met up for the transport pod and were given our instructions - the CM said something like "if you visit the ancient ruins, you will see two lines. There's one we've been told moves fast, some say it is as fast as lightning, and you should select that lane". And we were told that our mbands had credits for lunch, including adult beverages (1 per adult). We "landed" before 9. We spent much of the trip in the "transport pod" trying to imagine what it looked like on the outside, we decided it was probably just a white panel truck. But it was pretty cool! We had someone in a wheelchair in our transport, and they had a quickly efficient system for buckling it into the floor securely.

We were issued little Halcyon pins to wear, which helped signal to all the GE CMs that we were GS guests. A CM later told my husband that they were instructed to treat anyone with a pin as a VIP, and to stay in story with us. We did have several CMs proactively ask us how our trip on the starcruiser was going.

Walking into GE was somewhat overwhelming, having never been. It sort of took our breath away. But then the kids were instantly in to figuring out how to complete their quests -- all of a sudden a bunch of features of the datapad that hadn't really made sense at the hotel worked, and they wanted to explore. So we meandered into the Smuggler's Run LL while playing around. There were 5 of us (me, my 2 kids, my husband, my SIL) so we were in a group by ourself. I remembered that there was probably a better strategy for assigning roles than just figuring out what sounded cool, but couldn't remember what it was, LOL, so we sort of just ended up where we were-- my 8 year old remains convinced she did a very good job piloting.

Obviously it was a fantastic ride. I know some people don't think it's great, but we loved it. The story, the themeing, the actual ride, totally worth it (of course, we had LL, so we just walked on, which probably helped).

After that we wandered over to Rise of the Resistance, stopping to intercept some transmissions on the "antennas" on the way ("tuning" on the datapad). Rise turned out to be down, so we split up to do our various quests. D went off on his own, P led C around on his quests, and I was with J, who was only sort of interested. She scanned a few things, hacked a few things, wandered through the marketplace, and asked me to buy her literally every toy available (she was getting a droid later, so it became a funny cascade of refusals. She didn't actually expect me to give in). We then briefly wandered into Toy Story Land -- she needed a break from Star Wars things. She wanted a snack that looked like "normal" food. All of the rides and attractions had ridiculous waits (SDD was down, everything else was over an hour) so we just wandered about and enjoyed the bright colors. While we were there, D and P went into the cantina. they didn't stay, just went in and wandered about -- the pins/mbands allowed entry without a reservation.

We headed back into GE and checked in with everyone else - P had discovered how to earn credits, and bragged to his sister about how much stuff he had and how many jobs he'd done. This of course made her competitive, and she figured out how to hack things as well -- but her datapad wasn't working correctly (ugh). We went back to the "landing pad" where there were several GS CMs on hand to help with issues. They fixed her datapad (since it was one they issued, this was easy enough for them) and then we were able to get going again. Rise was back up, so we met up with everyone else there and went on.

What's there to say about Rise of the Resistance? It's amazing. It's a fantastic ride. We were overwhelmed by the scope and how well it was done. J got scared a couple of times and put her head down, but the rest of us didn't let that bother us, LOL.

After the ride, and the necessary "that was so cool!!" exclamations, we split up again to fulfill even more quests -- we had to scan crates and hack panels and tune antennas, etc. We agreed to meet at Docking Bay 7 at 11:30am.

Lunch was better than expected. The line wasn't long, there were tables available, and everyone found something to eat. I'm a vegetarian, so I chose the one kefta/hummus option -- I was later served the exact same thing for dinner, which seemed a little like a miss (it's not like there were other options for vegetarians at lunch), but is a very minor thing. P, who is 10, had credit for an adult meal. He asked if he could get a kids meal and they said no, we'd have to pay for it --so he just got the adult version of the kids meal he wanted. Which seemed weird, but I assume was a computer entry issue?

After lunch, we split up again. D and P built lightsabers, and J and I built droids. J nearly had a meltdown trying to decide what kind of droid to build. She knew she wanted one like BB8, but couldn't decide if she wanted a purple one or one that actually looked like BB8. She asked me if I could do one in a fun color, but I had already promised P that I would build one according to his specs, so he could play with it with his sister-- we didn't really think the lightsaber was going to get much play time. Ultimately she decided to build one that looked like BB8, which she seemed happy about. I was annoyed to realize you have to unscrew the droid every time you turn it on or off -- she can't do that herself, her hands are too little. If I'd realized that in advance, I'd probably have steered her to an R2.

Droids in hand, we went to the droid play area and played there for a LONG time. P joined and took control of "his" droid for a while. D continued his quests.

Around 2pm it became clear that the kids were done with Batuu. It wasn't very hot, but it had been a long day outdoors. The kids had earned lots of credits, completed all main storyline quests, scanned every crate and tuned every antenna, and were ready to sit down for a bit. So we wrapped up what we were doing, made sure we'd seen everything, and headed back. We were back "on board" a little before 3pm.

J needed a snack and some downtime in the room. There were no snacks out in the atrium (again, those came out at 4pm, a dinner-ruining time) but we had granola bars in the room. P wanted to do the sabacc tournament at 3:15pm, so I joined him for that while C stayed with J and D ... did something else? He was on a different track from me, story-wise, so sometimes he dashed off to do something "secret".

(NB: While this was not explicitly stated, P, age 10, was an "adult" for meals, but I also think - allowed to do things without an adult. He got quests and comms that were not shared with either parent. J, aged 8, was never sent anywhere that I was not also sent. I guess it linked to me because she was a child account under my name/email. This was slightly annoying for me, as none of the decisions I made about how to reply or interact mattered -- I was just following her story line for big events. Of course, I wouldn't actually have wanted her going off on her own? But I wish I'd understood this more in advance. P also had a child account under mine, but there was a clear age-distinction made where he was allowed autonomy that she wasn't, and I had no agency over that).

Anyway, P did really well in the sabacc tournament, beating several adults over multiple rounds. After the tournament he wanted to go back to the room, which was fine with me. It was probably after 4 by that point. Everyone else had bridge training, but we had done it the day before. In the room we had the "window" down and without spoiling anything, we could tell what was happening in bridge training just from watching the window!!

I have to go to work now - so to be continued - hopefully soon!

Ok! picking this back up. Sunday night

After the sabacc tournament we had a little quiet time in the room. I made P shower, as we knew there would be too much excitement after dinner for a normal bedtime routine! I packed and P spent some time using the "translate" feature on the datapads to translate names / ordinary words, which was a surprisingly engaging activity. The others finished bridge training only a little bit before dinner and didn't come back to the room (bridge training is 45 minutes, it must have started at 430). Their bridge training also of course moved the story line a major step forward toward its climax, so our datapads buzzed with invitations to new activities.

P and I met everyone else at the table. When we got there D informed me the first round of adult beverages was on the house -- I suspect, though we were not told, because of all the issues we'd had with the datapad setup? It was a nice and appropriate touch.

Dinner was a tour of the galaxy - and elaborate and delicious meal. However, as a vegetarian, for one of the courses I was served the exact same thing they have as a vegetarian option in GE, which I had just eaten for lunch. It's fine, but felt like a little bit of an oversight. Everyone else, however, was very happy with the food (Except J, who stuck with cheese pizza. Honestly, the food stuff is hard for picky / small kids. I don't know that they could do much to make that better without ruining it for everyone else? But, be warned, if you are traveling with a young /picky child, it's hard. Yes, they do have options, but even those are described in ways that your kid may not love).

After dinner there was an "acoustic concert" with Gaya in the atrium. We of course went and were taken along with the storyline (something we had done on Batuu was coming to fruition here, this was true for virtually everyone). D kept covertly checking his datapad -- he had "events" throughout the evening that seemingly overlapped, and at one point he slipped out to go elsewhere and meetup with someone mysterious. The kids and I, meanwhile, had to help someone in engineering.

I won't give details again because I don't want to spoil, but the next section of events was incredibly fun and well done. As we gathered outside engineering, our names were on a list before we could be let in. The CM managing the list made chit-chat, including asking P "this Star Wars I see on your shirt and so many shirts, is it a band?". We laughed.

We had a task to do under orders of a character in engineering, and the 3 of us (me + my kids) were assigned to the same area. They LOVED it and really took seriously what they were doing, and completely played along. The character remembered their names and later in the evening thanked them publicly by name, which made them very happy.

At any rate, things now hurtled toward the final showdown. After engineering we had to follow up on the bridge! This was fantastic, and so much fun, and a really great extension of bridge training, but it was plot-wise confusing. I know they have to get everyone in, so the way they try to combine storylines to make it make sense for everyone to have a turn doesn't 100% work with the plot if you are really following super carefully? But, whatever, it was still completely awesome and while we were caught up in it it was great.

Then there was the final confrontation, with everyone in the atrium. At one point J, exhausted and awake long past her bedtime, turned to me and whisper/shouted "imagine if I'd been in bed for this!". It's impossible to talk about this whole section without spoiling it, so I will just stick with -- it was really awesome. It was very well executed, very immersive, and a whole lot of fun. Everyone was playing along and even if you could guess what would happen next there were a few surprises.

When we got back to the room the kids were EXHAUSTED. D stayed for the sweets and treats celebration, so it was just me and the kids. J started interacting with the room droid, but then P took over because he hadn't had a turn, but it became a debacle because the room droid asked "would you like a bedtime story" and then he said No, and then the room droid ... went away. And we couldn't get her back. So J was freaking out because she wanted a bedtime story and it wasn't fair. An 8 year old awake 2 hours past her bedtime after an extremely exciting but tiring day is not a fully rational creature!

No one needs details of the next ten minutes or so, LOL, but eventually both kids were quiet in the bunks.

Monday morning - the end of vacation
The kids woke up at their normal, early, time even though we had hoped they might sleep in, especially with no natural light and the late night before. No such luck. They were giddy to remember that their friends were all headed back to school.

We had to put our luggage out in the hallway by 8am, so we basically just got dressed, put the luggage together, and headed to breakfast.

Oh - we had 2 droids and 2 lightsabers. We packed one droid in a suitcase surrounded by clothes (it was fine). The other droid was J's carry-on. I took her backpack (her original carry-on) as my 2nd carryon. The boys each took a lightsaber as a carryon, and when we got to the plane the flight attendant had no problem putting the lightsabers with coats/umbrellas, so all those items made it back to chicago unharmed.

Breakfast was the same buffet as the day before. It was all good, it all looked alien. J was, once again, NOT having it. I asked for some plain toast for her. Again, picky kids are kind of a nightmare. A kid who ate scrambled eggs would be totally fine. I thouht she'd be fine with the waffles, but it was on a tray with something else that she didn't like the look of (extreme eye roll). Anyway, we grabbed a clementine from the grab n go upstairs and she ate that and toast. The rest of us feasted on tons of delicious food (and, not for nothing, P was perfectly willing to goad J by telling her how delicious everything was. What are siblings for if not to torment each other!)

We went back to the room and hung out a bit. We tried talking to the droid but she was available for only 1 interaction. J felt vindicated a bit for the night before.

We ended up leaving slightly earlier than we really needed to -- we hadn't arranged transportation to the airport, so we assumed we'd have to wait a bit for an uber. We checked out, took the "transport pod" back to the exit, and emerged to see the little pop-up store outside - and the first branded star wars merch of the endeavor! We browsed but didn't buy.

It turned out that the hotel provided a Mears taxi -- if they told us this in advance, we didn't realize it. Probably it was somewhere in the various emails? It was a nice surprise! It was a taxi just for us and our stuff. Vacation was over, which was sad, but we'd had an amazing time.

I'll do a wrap-up post with some takeaways eventually, but feel free to ask any questions if you have them!!

Great report on the Starcruiser! Thanks for the info on having children setup with their own account prior to boarding. DD16 & DH each have an account, but I need to link it to mine.

We are so looking forward to our summer trip that includes the Starcruiser.

This was such a great detailed report! If you had it to do again, would you have booked the DCL cruise after your GS stay instead of before? We’re considering doing that to give us 3 or 4 days to decompress after all the stimulation. Since it would just be Nassau and CC, i wouldn’t even book excursions.

This was such a great detailed report! If you had it to do again, would you have booked the DCL cruise after your GS stay instead of before? We’re considering doing that to give us 3 or 4 days to decompress after all the stimulation. Since it would just be Nassau and CC, i wouldn’t even book excursions.
Maybe? We didn't really have the choice, given the scheduling. We were coming out of a super stressful/ busy time, so I think if we had gone straight to GS we would have been overwhelmed. Instead it was the pinnacle of an awesome vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter