A Very Merry Un-21st-Birthday to Me! May 2015 Trip - Updated 10/27**

Great HS time...I can't wait to try Sci Fi....that candy bar dessert looked AMAZING...must have!! Maybe I will just have that for lunch lol. Mind my ignorance...but what is Character Palooza? I haven't been to HS for many years...is it like a character spot...or parade...or is it in the restaurant? I didn't think Sci Fi had characters? The pool at AKL looks beautiful... I remember seeing it when we went to Boma for dinner a few years ago...There's never enough time at Disney to spend as much time as you like anywhere...sigh...Looking forward to hearing about your Boma dinner!

Great HS time...I can't wait to try Sci Fi....that candy bar dessert looked AMAZING...must have!! Maybe I will just have that for lunch lol. Mind my ignorance...but what is Character Palooza? I haven't been to HS for many years...is it like a character spot...or parade...or is it in the restaurant? I didn't think Sci Fi had characters? The pool at AKL looks beautiful... I remember seeing it when we went to Boma for dinner a few years ago...There's never enough time at Disney to spend as much time as you like anywhere...sigh...Looking forward to hearing about your Boma dinner!

Character Palooza WAS right by ToT where a bunch of sometimes rare characters would come out. It's not broadcasted, and never guaranteed to happen. However, after coming home I read that now they're doing it in random places at HS. Not sure if this is for good or not. Kenny the pirate has a good information on his site about it. www.kennythepirate.com

On our next trip, I'm pretty sure I'm going to factor in a day for the pool!

Sounds like a great trip. Question for you; did you feel like club level was worth the extra money? It is something I think would be a great experience to try at least once but since we spend a lot of time in the parks I'm not sure we would get good enough use out of it to justify it. Though the idea of running to a lounge to get a quick soda or dessert does sound appealing.

Quick question for you all! :thumbsup2

For anyone who has stayed at POR, POFQ, or Coronado, what did you like about them, and why? And if you’ve stayed at the other resorts, why you would pick one over the other?

I’m going back and forth for our next trip, and I know it’s going to be our last trip for at least two years since I’ll be going into grad school. I’ve decided to drop the GF, and go with a moderate (Because Kenny also said he'd take me back to the GF someday once he gets this new job :laughing:). I’m currently leaning towards Coronado.

I've stayed at all three, and I loved POFQ the most. I loved the theming, the compact location, and the fact that we rarely shared a bus with POR, so transport was fast. Loved the boat transportation to DD. The counter service there is pretty lacking, but we only ate breakfast there. We frequently caught the boat to DD to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich. POR had the best counter service and was my second favorite of the two. It was just big with a lot of walking to get from place to place. I also liked the quiet pools. CSR was OK. We weren't crazy about the restaurant options on-site, and I missed being close to DD. CSR was also quite large and felt more "convention-like" than "Disney-like."

Sounds like a great trip. Question for you; did you feel like club level was worth the extra money? It is something I think would be a great experience to try at least once but since we spend a lot of time in the parks I'm not sure we would get good enough use out of it to justify it. Though the idea of running to a lounge to get a quick soda or dessert does sound appealing

I think it was worth the extra money to us because we got a discount. Also, we got to have breakfast, which meant we didn't have to pack our own snacks and such. I think some people get a better use out of it who stay at the resort a lot more than we did. Also, since we were on the DDP, and we got refillable mugs, we didn't use them as much because the lounge was closer than the QS. I also personally love to plan, so I'd want to make my own ADRs.

I've stayed at all three, and I loved POFQ the most. I loved the theming, the compact location, and the fact that we rarely shared a bus with POR, so transport was fast. Loved the boat transportation to DD. The counter service there is pretty lacking, but we only ate breakfast there. We frequently caught the boat to DD to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express or Earl of Sandwich. POR had the best counter service and was my second favorite of the two. It was just big with a lot of walking to get from place to place. I also liked the quiet pools. CSR was OK. We weren't crazy about the restaurant options on-site, and I missed being close to DD. CSR was also quite large and felt more "convention-like" than "Disney-like."

:thanks:

Boma Dinner and Downtown Disney – Day 2 – Part
After a nice swim, and I think I ended up calling my grandma and my parents, it was dinnertime! After reading so much about Boma, I was very excited. From past nights we saw how crazy the check-in was, but once checking in we found out they ran out of buzzers. After about 15 minutes, we got a buzzer, and waited probably another 10 to be seated (we had checked in at 7:20ish for a 7:40 reservation).

Our waitress was a nice lady from Beijing. The only reason I remember this is because she looked really run-down when she met the family next to us, but then when she came to our table and saw that Kenny was Asian she automatically got happier. She took our drink orders and we were off! Our first plates were appetizers. Sadly, we didn’t get a chance to try any of the soups. I think the one app that stands out the most to me was the roasted tomato hummus. That stuff was amazing.

This was Kenny’s plate, and, the only picture we took:
2015-05-14%2019.46.35_zpsd1747afm.jpg

I didn’t like the pasta salad (left side – top) but the chickpea salad was really good (right side – top)

As for the other foods, I’ve found I’m not a huge fan of African spices. I really liked their mashed cornmeal and the coconut rice. But other than that nothing stood out to me, or most of it was just too much. We then went for desserts, and the zebra domes were amazing! Just like most people say they are. We ate pretty quickly, our waitress was pretty surprised when we were ready for the check.

Another note about Boma is that we felt like we were RIGHT on top of the families next to us.

But, instead of hanging around AKL for the night, we decided to go to DTD. We arrived around 9pm. We went back to the world of Disney, and I got some clothes, and Kenny got a really nice sweater that I had to talk him into buying. Then we stopped at Dockside margaritas again!
11258516_10153254648256336_7809862741249428154_n.jpg
This time I got the patron margarita, and Kenny got the sunset margarita. Being ID’d again, the bartender took FOREVER with my ID. Once we got a table (which was standing) Kenny took a look at my ID. Well, it turns out that some part that sound only be visible at certain angles is visible all the time (it’s the PA and keystone symbol over my picture). And I guess a lot of fake IDs this is the give away. I never ran into problems with my ID though.

After finishing our margaritas and listening to the live music, we stopped back into the Marketplace Co-Op, and I picked up a Celtic’s hat for my dad, and a Celtic’s shirt for myself.

Back to AKL! We got back around 11:30, and I showered and went to bed. The next day we planned on visiting Epcot!

We walked a total of 12,451 steps this day! However, I did not have my vivofit with me when we went to the pool. :tiptoe:

Quick question for you all! :thumbsup2

For anyone who has stayed at POR, POFQ, or Coronado, what did you like about them, and why? And if you’ve stayed at the other resorts, why you would pick one over the other?

I’m going back and forth for our next trip, and I know it’s going to be our last trip for at least two years since I’ll be going into grad school. I’ve decided to drop the GF, and go with a moderate (Because Kenny also said he'd take me back to the GF someday once he gets this new job :laughing:). I’m currently leaning towards Coronado.[/QUOTE]

I have stayed at POR twice. I love being able to use the boat to get to DTD. The foot court is also quite nice.

Well you didn't sound that impressed with Boma...except the Zebra domes...lol...but they are one of the best things lol...I guess it depends on your tastes.

We are looking forward to staying at POFQ in the fall...haven't been there before but have heard nothing but good revues!

Hello, I have been following along!
I love your TR so far, and thought I'd comment as you asked the question about the resorts...I have stayed at both POR (twice!) and CSR, both are wonderful resorts, but we always pick POR as a favourite! Even though this next trip and the last we stayed at Saratoga Springs, I'd still choose POR, if it wasn't for the space as a family of four adults!
POR seems a lot smaller than CSR, and we always had great food and bus service at POR, I think this is why we went back!! Also I found CSR food court very loud and busy! But as you said the convenience of the boats is always handy!!
I hope this helps with your decision!
Can't wait to read more :)

I have stayed at POR twice. I love being able to use the boat to get to DTD. The foot court is also quite nice.
Thanks! The boat is a really big draw.

Well you didn't sound that impressed with Boma...except the Zebra domes...lol...but they are one of the best things lol...I guess it depends on your tastes.

We are looking forward to staying at POFQ in the fall...haven't been there before but have heard nothing but good revues!
I think it was just me, Kenny seemed to really like Boma. I guess those kind of flavors just aren't my thing! Though Zebra domes and that hummus... I could eat those all day long! :-)

Hello, I have been following along!
I love your TR so far, and thought I'd comment as you asked the question about the resorts...I have stayed at both POR (twice!) and CSR, both are wonderful resorts, but we always pick POR as a favourite! Even though this next trip and the last we stayed at Saratoga Springs, I'd still choose POR, if it wasn't for the space as a family of four adults!
POR seems a lot smaller than CSR, and we always had great food and bus service at POR, I think this is why we went back!! Also I found CSR food court very loud and busy! But as you said the convenience of the boats is always handy!!
I hope this helps with your decision!
Can't wait to read more :)

First off, welcome! So glad you decided to pop in! Thanks for your advice :-)

On the topic of the hotel choice:
If anyone actually does want to know what I'm picking (even after everyone's great advice!) I talked with all parties involved with payment, and we all decided Grand Floridian now that Kenny has passed his last certification, and will still live at home for the next year saving (There is a job waiting for him). Plus, some other financial decisions with my parents play into it. However, I am so grateful for everyone's input! It actually made the decision harder to end up going with the GF! And we do plan to stay at a moderate another time we go, so I can now remember what everyone has said! :flower1: We were also considering a split stay, however, we don't feel like repacking in the middle of our vacation and want to use the the DDP, and that just seems too complicated for me to start to wrap my head around. So we will end up booking on June 22nd our package for either May 17th - 25th or May 31st through June 8th. Depending on if one is just a tiny bit cheaper or not. We would go a week earlier, but I have to move out of my apartment.... and I have a lot of stuff. :rotfl:

Yay for the GF...so excited for you as I've always wanted to stay there or at the Poly...looks amazing and I can't imagine being THAT close to the magic!!

Yay for the GF...so excited for you as I've always wanted to stay there or at the Poly...looks amazing and I can't imagine being THAT close to the magic!!

I know! The grand is just so magical! We stayed at the Contemporary last year, which was also contending... but we should try something new, and even though we can't walk to MK, its just a monorail trip away! :-)

You're right though...WALKING to the MK...that would be pretty awesome...especially at the end of a long day....BUT the CR doesn't seem as luxurious so it's a tough call!

All caught up! I love all your character meets. Sounds like AKL is beautiful. Your room is amazing.
-Lindsey:earsgirl:

Catching back up. :wave2:

Frankly, if money isn't an issue and its a choice between the Grand or a Mod I'd go with the Grand. Or anywhere on the loop. That being said, you'll find out my thoughts on POR by the end of the TR.

You're right though...WALKING to the MK...that would be pretty awesome...especially at the end of a long day....BUT the CR doesn't seem as luxurious so it's a tough call!
The Contemporary is VERY nice. If you get the chance to stay, I'd tell everyone to go. However, I love contemporary-styles. Also, the monorail running THROUGH the resort? Too cool. I think I'd still prefer a Bay Lake View, versus the Park view. But the grand is luxury, and we might as well treat ourselves! :lovestruc

All caught up! I love all your character meets. Sounds like AKL is beautiful. Your room is amazing.
I think pictures of AKL rooms don't really do them justice. They are AMAZING. So is the Lobby. I love meeting characters! Interacting with them is so much fun!:-)

Catching back up. :wave2:

Frankly, if money isn't an issue and its a choice between the Grand or a Mod I'd go with the Grand. Or anywhere on the loop. That being said, you'll find out my thoughts on POR by the end of the TR.

Can't wait to read about POR!

Epcot – Day 3 – Part 1:wizard:

Hello again everyone! :wave2:

Today was our first Epcot day! And, like always, when the morning came around I was ready to go! I think we ended up getting up about 30 minutes earlier than planned.

Since we were meeting Minnie today in the character spot, I wore my Minnie bow!
20150515_071113_zps2d7ovgio.jpg

And we did the same routine of getting breakfast at club level, and then heading to the bus stop. We didn’t have to wait too long for a bus, and we ended up getting to the park 30 minutes before Rope Drop. Now, some people would LOVE this. But since we weren’t heading to either Soarin’ or Test Track, it just meant we were there early. Once the park finally opened, we headed for The Seas with Nemo and friends! I think this ride is really cute. Once finishing, we walked around the Seas for awhile.

20150515_091013_zpspseagr1g.jpg

Guys, I found Nemo!
20150515_090959_zps5obekoah.jpg

2015-05-15%2009.08.14_zpssfk94ayd.jpg

2015-05-15%2009.07.15_zpsemukkeqf.jpg
After a lovely time with the fishies, we headed out to meet Chip and Dale. We got there about 10 minutes early, and so we sat down for awhile a people watched. Only one family was ahead of us.

EPCOT_FUTURE_7309868990_zpsyk28m6yn.jpeg
They spent a lot of time with us this year, and their attendant and to keep yelling at them to behave. It was pretty funny. They saw my birthday button, and asked if it was today. I had to say no, and Kenny came in with this usual “we’re celebrating all year.” Chip wrote me a happy birthday message, and then Dale got angry and decided to grab the marker out of Chip’s hand and my signature book and walk about 20 ft away. Through all of this, we took pictures with Chip and he kept unzipping Kenny’s backpack. I got a nice “Happy acornday! Love Dale” in my signature book too!

This was probably our best character interaction of our whole trip!
The photo pass guy even said to me from the way they’re acting today, he felt it would be a crazy one!

Next up was the character spot. No super special character interactions here, but Minnie did notice my bow when I turned around! She ended up grabbing my arm and pointing at my bow and giving me another hug!

EPCOT_CHRCON1_7309890603_zpsxyeiv5ms.jpeg

EPCOT_CHRCON2_7309898076_zpswyrqlkes.jpeg

EPCOT_CHRCON3_7309902603_zpsjothzudv.jpeg

However, there was VERY large family two spots ahead of us, and they probably ended up taking 10 minutes with each character. It took us awhile to get through the character spot.

Next up:
20150515_102612_zpsjbyfv6v4.jpg

20150515_102621_zpsvsp3y14q.jpg
When decided to ride Living with the Land because we had 30 minutes to spend until our FP for Soarin’. While getting on the boat, we talked to a couple in front of us who wished me a happy birthday and we talked about where they live now and that they used to live in Philadelphia and Lancaster.

We still had about 20 minutes to kill, so we sat at Sunshine Seasons and played games on our phones. Then onto Soarin’! It was my first time riding it, and while I did like it, if the Frozen Ride comes out by next year with FP I think it would take over my priority of Soarin’.

After this, we headed towards the world showcase! We stopped by the Inside Out Gardens.
EPCOT_SPECIALEVENT_7310015333_zpsebrfqfpc.jpeg
and then stopped at Pineapple Promenade for our first Flower and Garden booth! While I’ll wait till next time to show you our treats, I got some really nice pictures at the table we stood at!

20150515_112507_zpsj5vc8wb3.jpg

20150515_111330_zpsu8umk9tg.jpg

Since every was so helpful with my last question, I thought I’d ask you guys another! :thumbsup2

We have two weeks picked out to go to Disney next May. Our first week is May 17th – 25th, the second is May 31st – June 8th. In an earlier post I said I have to move out of my apartment, which is true. And I think I have until the 25th of May to do so, and I would graduate on May 8th. I’m avoiding Memorial Day weekend.

Anyone who has gone with first week of June, what is it like?

Great Epcot day so far!! I think our Epcot morning will be a lot like yours since we hope to have FP+ for Soarin and hopefully won't have to run there...I'd like to spend some time at Nemo. Love your flower pics. Can't help you much about Disney in summer...have only ever gone to FL in winter!!

Great flower pictures at Epcot. I can't help you with your question. Check out past crowd attendances to find out which week would be better.

Great Epcot day so far!! I think our Epcot morning will be a lot like yours since we hope to have FP+ for Soarin and hopefully won't have to run there...I'd like to spend some time at Nemo. Love your flower pics. Can't help you much about Disney in summer...have only ever gone to FL in winter!!
The seas is a great place to spend time! Looking at all the marine life is really interesting, and I thought the area where they have Bruce to take a picture in has really good information on sharks.

Great flower pictures at Epcot. I can't help you with your question. Check out past crowd attendances to find out which week would be better.

Thanks for the advice! :) The flowers at Epcot are so beautiful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter