A Visit to Club 33 - 6/7/03

ADisneyPrincess

Mouseketeer
My friend Monika and I decided we needed to do something fun. We checked into different places to go, but airfare was always too high or it would take to long to get there for just a short visit. Since we both had DL AP's from our last visit earlier this year, we decided to just go to DL again.

We were able to get an AP rate at the DL Hotel and found a great airfare on Alaska Air so we were set. Then fate set in.

I got a new neighbor at work. She's worked there a couple of years, but I didn't really know her. She saw my Disneyesque desk and asked me about it and I told her that basically I'm a Disney Freak and that Disneyland and Disney World were like my Motherland. I then mentioned that I would be visiting DL in just a month or so. She asked if I knew anyone who worked in our LA office as they had a Club 33 corporate membership. What???? I've worked here almost 13 years and had never heard this before?? Sadly, I didn't know anyone in the LA office, but she did! She asked her friend about it and he was able to get Monika and I dinner reservations for Saturday, June 7. Hip hip Pooh-ray!!

Our AP's were blocked out for 6/7, but it didn't matter since we got comp tickets with our dinner reservation. We picked them up at Guest Relations outside DCA. It was very cool saying we had a reservation at Club 33, getting our name checked off and being handed free tickets to Disneyland! We could have used the tickets for both DL and DCA for the entire day, but we just popped into DL for a short visit before returning to the hotel to change for dinner. Since it was Saturday night we wanted to dress up somewhat.

We took the Monorail to DL then rode the train to New Orleans Square. We were early so we wandered around a bit. No one had told us what to do and I just knew about other peoples visits from what I had read on the internet. I had read you should check in a bit early and I would check in early no matter where I had a reservation so at 7:50 we rang the buzzer for our 8:00 reservation. A female voice asked the name of our party. She then said they would be ready for us in 10 minutes. This was fine, we didn't expect to be seated early, we just wanted to check in.

There were a number of other people waiting outside as well. We wondered what would happen in 10 minutes. Would she come get us or would we need to ring the buzzer again? A few minutes before 8pm a large party waiting outside rang the buzzer again. The CM, Casey, opened the door and invited them inside. Another couple had come up after us and had not rung the buzzer, they seemed like they didn't know what to do. She asked for their name and checked them off her list. She then looked at us and I gave her my name (again). She told us to come inside. The lobby is very small and it was packed. After a few minutes the large party went upstairs. Casey called up and told the rest of us waiting it would be a bit longer as they weren't ready yet.

She then proceeded to trash talk the people buzzing in early and saying that she wished she could zap the people who buzzed in early because of course they weren't going to be ready for people early on a Saturday night. Hmmm...she's a little bit snotty and full of herself. I don't think she got that we had buzzed in early (thinking we were supposed to get there a bit early) and she was basically trashing us. She talked non-stop the entire time we waited. I was not impressed and were I a member I would have complained about her attitude and behavior.

After about 10 minutes she sat the couple who had arrived after us. I was now even less impressed by her as we had arrived before them and checked in before them. We waited another 10 minutes before they called us. Casey opened the elevator door and we were carried up to that mysterious place called Club 33.

Our server, Louis, was waiting for us at the top and he opened the door for us. He led us to a small table in the main dining room. This was what I had wondered about for so long. It was not quite what I had expected. It was nice, but perhaps I was expecting too much. The thing I noticed immediately was that the Club 33 plates that were on the table were covered in greasy fingerprints. These plates are for looks only and were soon taken away, but they really should clean them before putting them on the table.

For those of you thinking that I'm being picky, you're right. I am a mystery shopper and get to go to a lot of nice restaurants so I am very picky, especially when I'm about to spend over $150 for dinner. I didn't let these things spoil my evening, but I did notice them.

Louis asked to take our drink orders and I asked for a Grape Nehi. He asked what was in it and I said Chambord, vodka and something else, but I wasn't sure what. He checked with the bartender and he had never heard of it. I get them all over Seattle, weird that they haven't heard about them in SoCal. I got a Cosmopolitan instead, good, but not as good as a Grape Nehi.

I considered ordering the prix fixe meal, but decided it seemed like too much food. Both Monika and I ordered the Butternut Squash Bisque ($7) to start. It was a huge bowl of soup and was really good. This was a good deal. For our entrees Monika ordered the Chateaubriand ($38) and I ordered the Trio of Seafood Newburg ($37). Monika's steak was the most tender I have ever tasted. You could probably cut it with a spoon. Mine came with 1/2 a lobster tail in Newburg sauce, one shrimp on a sweet potatoe puree and one scallop on something that I forget. Mine was quite tasty, but one shrimp and one scallop?? I really think they could have thrown in two shrimp and two scallops for the price. We also were served bread. They bring it around on a big tray and offer you a slice of many different kinds. I think there were 5 different kinds, sun dried tomato, olive, banana nut, and a couple of others I don't remember. We both took the sun dried tomato which was quite good. I thought it odd they didn't leave us with a basket of bread and we were never offered a second slice. Another table had a whole basket full. And I do love my bread.

We decided to share dessert, but soon regretted it. Not because dessert was fabulous, but because it was tiny. We ordered the date poundcake with Dolce de Lechi ice cream ($9). It was tiny. This tasted OK, but wasn't as good as I think it could have been. Monika regretted not ordering the Creme Brulee Trio. In addition we had decaf coffee which was wonderful. I love good restaurant coffee.

The service throughout the evening was very good. Louis was very friendly and we liked him a lot, though I was disappointed he didn't share any of the history of the Club with us. The waitress at the next table was telling her group all kinds of things, but I couldn't really hear. Louis had asked if we had been there before so he did know it was our first, perhaps only, visit.

After dinner we stopped by the merchandise cabinet to buy some souvenirs. Monika chose a keychain ($10) and I opted for the latte mug ($20). Michael went in the back to get these for us and returned with everything wrapped in tissue and bagged (important to note for later). We took some time taking pictures of ourselves at the phone booth and descending the stairs. There was no one around by this time so we weren't in jeopardy of bothering anyone. We then said good-bye to Club 33 and headed out to join the common folk.

I didn't look at my mug until I got home as I didn't want to unwrap it. When I did unwrap it I was very annoyed to find that the inside was cracked and chipped! It was apparent it was damaged when I got it as it was only on the inside and it had been wrapped very securely. Like I'll be able to get another one of these anytime soon, if ever! I returned it to the Disney Store as I'm not one to spend $20 on a broken latte mug. Now I wish I had taken the Club 33 pen I signed my charge slip with. I hadn't because I didn't want to be rude, but now I wish I had been! C'est la vie...

If I do get another chance to visit Club 33 I think I'll opt for the buffet to try something different. I hope I get to come back, but if not, at least I got to go once in my lifetime. A visit I will always remember.

Gosh, we always hear such wonderful things about the amazing Club 33. I am sorry to hear your woeful tale. I hope it was just an off night for them. Don't give up replacing your cup, you deserve a non-damaged one! Thank you so much for sharing:D

I still had a good time despite the somewhat rude hostess and chipped mug. It was definately an experience I'll remember!

I have to agree. I have had the privilege to get to go to Club 33 a couple of times in the past year and I, for one, am not all that impressed. My dad was a member back in the 70's but I really don't remember it all that much. He says that it is nothing now like it was then. He said that most of the people that are there now aren't members but are there because the company they work for has a membership. Now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the majority of the people there not being members, but you probably aren't going to see many stars or too many "mover's and shaker's" on your visit. It has become more of a corporate spiff than a private club. Now, I was never to keen on a club at Disney for people that were "better" than us so I really don't care if it goes on or not. Even my dad said that, in hindsught, it had been a waste of money. The food is marginal and the servers are, as the other poster said before, "snooty". We were treated poorly the last time we went because we brought our 1 year old with us. Now, last time I looked Disneyland was for kids. We were sat in the back and everytime she made a peep, the waitress would run over and ask us if she needed anything. Oh yeah, did I mention that the bill was $250 for the two of us? (Including tip)

For those of you that haven't been able to get in Club 33, don't let it worry you too much. The food at Blue Bayou is just as good (maybe better) and your kids can make all the noise they want!

Roy

BTW - My partner had put his application in awhile back and he got a letter saying that he could join. He was pushing me to go in together on a membership with him but I said no. And it wasn't the money....

Thanks for sharing - Wonderful reviews!!!!!

Originally posted by ADisneyPrincess

She then proceeded to trash talk the people buzzing in early and saying that she wished she could zap the people who buzzed in early because of course they weren't going to be ready for people early on a Saturday night. Hmmm...she's a little bit snotty and full of herself. I don't think she got that we had buzzed in early (thinking we were supposed to get there a bit early) and she was basically trashing us. She talked non-stop the entire time we waited. I was not impressed and were I a member I would have complained about her attitude and behavior.

I definately would have reported THIS part to Disney.She seems like the type of person who still would've been complaining if the people buzzed right on time "This is a Saturday ngiht, don't they know we'd be running late?!?!?!"
I had a WONDERFUL, stay at the Grand Californian except for one little incident. I was with my best friend and her girlfriend. When someone tried to call and leave a message for my friend, they were told she wasn't a registered guest. Now, she had a key card with her name on it, etc. so, we know she HAD been entered in the computer. Obviously there's some sort of error. No big deal. So, we go to the front desk to get it corrected. Right off the bat, the CM flips us attitude. We had been polite and non chalant about the problem because it really wasn't that big of a deal. Then, the castmember says... And I quote: "It's not my fault if people here don't get properly trained." Throw in the neck roll too. We were absolutely floored. Basic common sense says that even if training were that bad, when you're on the clock, you don't say stuff like that about your employer.
So, long story short, I told a friend about this who works for the WDTC and he sent it on to his managers who were every bit as shocked as we were. We didn't ask for or want anything in return. We just wanted to make sure that a slip up like this would never happen again.

Originally posted by LeftCoaster
So, we go to the front desk to get it corrected. Right off the bat, the CM flips us attitude. We had been polite and non chalant about the problem because it really wasn't that big of a deal. Then, the castmember says... And I quote: "It's not my fault if people here don't get properly trained." Throw in the neck roll too. We were absolutely floored. Basic common sense says that even if training were that bad, when you're on the clock, you don't say stuff like that about your employer.

If I heard that response, I'd pause for a split second, smile, and say: "No, it's not your fault that you're one of those 'poorly trained' cast members, either. May I speak to one of the properly trained cast members, please?"

I would love to see the look on the CM's face if you had responded like that. :p

I'm going to Club 33 in a couple of weeks, and I hope I don't get major 'Tude thrown in my face. If I do, you can be sure I'll respond in kind! Heheheheh.

I'm so sorry you had such a poor experience with the castmembers. My sister and brother-in-law are members so I've been to Club 33 a few times and have never experienced anything less than great service. I've had the lunch buffet a few times and last June, dinner there. I always felt the food was great; certainly far superior than what you might get throughout the rest of the park.

Anyone out there know any info on a Club 33 membership? I would love to know the price, how to join, ect.

Im really just curious, thats all. It all sounds so mysterious and private!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter