A Whole New World. May 2023 Pre-Trip Report.

PennyLane1084

My Pronouns are: They/Them/Theirs
Hello and welcome to my Pre-Trip Planning Report. A week ago, I finally booked a trip to Disney World for next May to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary and 20 years with my Husband, Steve!!

Now, you might look at me and say “20 Years? How is that possible??” My DH and I are high school sweethearts and we actually started dating when I asked him to be my date to prom (defying gender roles even back then! ha). And as the saying goes, “the rest is history!” That was aaaaallll the way back in 2003 when we talked on a landline and chatted on the internets over AOL Instant Messenger.

Look at these fresh faced kiddos!!

FB_IMG_1665335759287.jpg

We got married 10 years later in 2013, so if you’re doing your math correctly, we have indeed been married for 10 years, together for 20 and were both nearing 40.

Here we are on our Honeymoon at Tony's Town Square in Magic Kingdom

FB_IMG_1665184467499.jpg

Who Are We?
Me: You host, you’re GHOST HOST! Kristin (they/them. I identify as Non-Binary)
Favorite Character: Grogu (Baby Yoda)
Current Favorite Park: EPCOT
Current Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion
Most looking forward to: Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora

Kristin and Steve at EPCOT standing in front a topiary of Goofy at the flower and garden festival
Steve and I in EPCOT this past March, 2022

DH: Steve (He/Him)
Favorite Character: Spiderman/Peter Parker
Current Favorite Park: Hollywood Studios
Current Favorite Ride: Haunted Mansion
Most looking forward to: Galaxy’s Edge and Pandora

Kristin and Steve at Oscar's Steakhouse in Las Vegas.
In Vegas at Oscar's Steakhouse on Fremont Street.

Why Disney?
I would be preaching to the choir when I say that Disney is my happy place. My parents used to scrimp and save to take the family down on a yearly trip when I was a kid. I’m also a stereotypical “Nerdy Disney Adult” who loves to watch Theme Park vloggers on Youtube, and consume Disney content from movies to TV, buy Disney merchandise of all kinds, and even play Disney board games.

For our Honeymoon we spent 5 days in Disney at Coronado Springs. We haven’t really been back to the parks since our Honeymoon, aside from a day at Disney Springs and EPCOT while visiting family in Orlando.

I also live with two chronic illnesses, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Crohn’s Disease, which can make traveling difficult. But Disney is an accessibility paradise!! And I know I can find food that I can eat without triggering a Crohn’s flare (hopefully). I also use a rollator mobility device to help me along for days when I know I’ll be walking a lot.

So Disney is the perfect fit for our needs in addition to being an awesome place to go.

A LOT has changed since I’ve been here last
The last time I was at Disney, I think I may have had a smartphone and I think we could check the Disney Experience app for wait times. We still grabbed paper fast passes from the kiosks. We had our Key to the World cards to do everything.

There were no magic bands, there was no skyliner, there was no Galaxy’s Edge, Toy Storyland, or Pandora. So its a huge learning curve this time around to figure out everything from the new Disability Access Service, how to use Genie+ for Lighting Lanes, and all the other new technology and policies that have been implemented since Covid.

The Details!
C’mon you didn’t think I’d give you the juicy information right away did you?

Dates: May 18-26

Resort: The Beach Club (We're doing it up for our Anniversary!!)

We already have our park reservations and they are currently laid out as such:
Park Day 1: Hollywood Studio
Park Day 2: Magic Kingdom
Park Day 3: EPCOT
Park Day 4: Animal Kingdom
Park Day 5: Hollywood Studio
Park Day 6: Magic Kingdom

Travel Plans - By land or by sky?​

Hello and welcome back! Let’s discuss travel plans!

To fly or to drive? That is the question.

I’m from the southwest suburbs of Chicago, so driving to Disney is not for the faint of heart. However, my mother was seriously afraid of flying, so when we went to Disney when I was a kid, my family always drove down. Imagine the Mexican version of the Griswolds and that was us. LOL!!

My husband also has family in Deland, Florida and he also grew up making the yearly drive down to Florida as well. And we’ve made the trip together a few times to visit the In-laws.

The downside of flying
Airfare right now is insane!! (I mean, I know gas prices have gotten somewhat better but traveling is just expensive right now). DH has been tracking the airfare and he currently can’t find anything less than $400 a seat for one way.

I also really hate flying and airports. Airport security always gives me major anxiety and I hate the trapped feeling of being on an airplane.

The pros and cons of driving
I’ve mulled this over in my mind and there are quite a few perks to driving ourselves….
  • We can bring home any merchandise we want and not worry about trying to fit it in our luggage or on the plane. I already know DH is planning on building a lightsaber.
  • We can easily leave property for breakfast or just take a break from the parks if we choose
  • We can drive to the parks and/or resorts rather than trying to lug my wheely walker on the Disney Buses.
  • I don’t have to worry about my walker getting lost or damaged by the airline (this is a serious problem for disbled people who use mobility devices)

The main downside to driving is, of course, the length of the drive itself. and the extra cost of staying in more hotels. I prefer to do the drive over two-days. Too much time in the car is torture on my body.

Currently our driving itinerary looks like:
Thursday:
Leave early on around 6am (we typically get up at 5am during the week anyways)
Drive from Chicago to Chattanooga - about 10 hours - arrive around 4pm
Stay the night in Chattanooga - Hotel TBD

Friday:
Drive from Chattanooga to Disney - about 8 hours - arrive around 3pm

Road Trippin'
I also love a good road trip and eating “road trip food.”

And what’s the best road trip food…..
WAFFLE HOUSE!!!
Waffle house waffle, cup of coffee, biscuits and gravy and bacon from a Waffle House outside Indianapolis, IN

I also love me some Zaxby’s and it is a must have when driving to the south.

But one of the things I’m also super excited to try is….
BUC-EES!!!

I’ve seen quite a few travel vlogs on Buc-ees and I am excited for some Beaver Nuggets. And yes, I will be the stereotypical tourist and will probably buy a Bucky Beaver t-shirt.

If anyone else has any great road trip food to check out between Chicago and Florida please drop some suggestions in the thread.

At this we're pretty set on driving and unless there is some crazy deal, that's probably the route we're going to take.

Up next....Dining plans

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter