ABD Australia Christmas/New Year's 2023 - Don't Waste Your Money

grubens

Mouseketeer
Our family of four (2 adults, 23 and 20) recently returned from our first ABD tour and unfortunately it will be our only ABD. While our guides were great, the tour itself was memorable for the number of misses and perhaps even worse, ABD's total lack of interest in trying to address those misses. If you, like us, ask if ABD is worth the "Disney premium" it charges, the answer is an unmistakable "no." Below are a few of the "highlights" of our experience, but by no means a comprehensive list.

Great Barrier Reef and Cairns

Our tour consisted of 8 families, each with four members. We started in Cairns where the Great Barrier Reef is located. Our "adventure" started with the substitution of an aquarium and public dinner for the scheduled private crocodile adventure and dinner. While the food was decent, the restaurant was so loud no one could communicate such that we ended our first day without really having the opportunity to meet any of the other families. Next, on Christmas day, we took a commercially available boat tour to the Reef with 250 of our closest friends. It offered nothing beyond what we could have purchased on our own at a lower price point. Upon returning we learned that despite being scheduled for dinner on our own, every restaurant was closed for Christmas. Disney decided to "surprise" us by buying us a dinner of pizza and burgers at the hotel where we were staying. If not so sad, the wait time for the food, limited choices and confusion at the restaurant would be comical. The following day we traveled to the rain forest, but the village in which we were supposed to spend a significant amount of time was all but closed for Boxing Day. And to top off the day, the cable car over the rain forest was cancelled due to weather, so it was an early return to the hotel for us with no substitution offered.

Meals

We had significant food issues throughout the tour. One of our daughters is vegetarian and the options for her on Christmas night and during the entire ten days were limited at best and sometimes just not available. Oftentimes we had to order meals in advance and there was simply no vegetarian option. When we asked what would be available, the answer we generally received was "there will be a vegetarian option." No sense of what it would be and certainly no options from which to choose. The most disappointing was the lunch at Din Tai Fung in Melbourne. The food was terrible, the time allotted short and the wait times long. It made for a very chaotic and unenjoyable experience. While that was the worst, the other options were by no means "great." First class food it was not and most days I would rate it as barely second class.

New Year’s Eve

By far the biggest disappointment was New Year's Eve in Sydney. For months leading up to our trip, we were talking about being in Sydney for New Year’s Eve. Having heard that Disney is known for packing special surprises into the tours, we, and most of our tour, thought that Disney would surprise us with something special that night. As several of our tour’s earlier activities had been cancelled due to weather and other unforeseen circumstances, we thought for sure ABD would find a place for us to watch the fireworks. Not only was there nothing planned, but we were basically left to ourselves to try to make last-minute plans for a night that was “sold out” months in advance. Trying to make New Year’s Eve plans just days in advance while traveling during our trip added an incredible amount of stress to our vacation. Staying at the hotel was also not an option because our room did not face the harbor despite having made this specific request months in advance. While we can now say we were “in Sydney” for the fireworks, we were able to see only a small portion of the fireworks show and what little success we did enjoy from dinner that night was the result of a suggestion from another family on the tour who contacted a friend in Sydney. What we thought would be the highlight of our trip due to Disney’s connections and planning turned out to be nothing of the sort.

ABD Response

Upon returning home we sent a detailed letter to ABD about our trip and expressing our concerns. We know that at least three other families did the same (so 50% of the tour). An ABD representative spoke with us "to gather more information," but ultimately told us that while they appreciated our feedback and would use it to possibly make future tours better, there was nothing to be done for us. I found this the most disappointing aspect of our experience. Having now travelled to the Parks for over 40 years, purchased annual passes and bought into DVC, it is Disney's emphasis on customer service and quality that keeps us coming back and singing its praises multiple times a year from New England. The only way for me to describe ABD's response is to say that it must not really be part of Disney or is just paying to use the name. To take no ownership for this situation and be willing to dismiss concerns raised by at least 50% of the participants is simply not what I expect from Disney. Tellingly, we were the only family on our tour for which this was their first ABD. When we asked the other families how the Australia tour compared to their other ABD tours, every family said it was their worst. This was the most expensive family vacation we have ever taken. We never thought it would be the one we remember for all the wrong reasons.

As I said above, I have not tried to capture all of the problems and issues we had on our tour. If you have specific questions, I am happy to try to answer them. If you are reading this and considering ABD's Australia tour, I strongly urge you to consider alternatives.

It was Christmas time .... Summer holiday time. . You should have known that
Wow. I think you mean “ABD should have known that.” If they’re going to offer a trip under those circumstances, then they’re the ones that should be prepared for logistical problems that were likely able to be anticipated. To the OP, I’m so very sorry to hear about your experience.

OP, I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Wow, that just really sucks. I can totally understand your disappointment, and it sounds as if you were not alone. With half the group voicing their displeasure, I'm really surprised they have not made some effort to rectify. I wonder whether the joining with Nat Geo is impacting things, but as this is not the first trip over the holidays, they really should have had backup plans and alternatives planned--or they should not just run the trip over that period. I'm pretty shocked they didn't do something special for NYE, too. Thanks for taking the time to post, and I hope they eventually get back to you with something more than "thanks for your opinion."

Wow, that is very disappointing. There was a similar trip report for a family that did New Zealand over the holidays last year. Perhaps ABD needs to recognize that part of the world is not good for holiday travel. The Sydney fireworks fail is awful. I'm really shocked they didn't arrange anything for you. Did you have any of the guides that everyone knows so well? I think the NZ family (maybe it was a private tour?) had outsourced guides.

Based on your review and another review that was posted about touring NZ over the Christmas holidays, it's quite obvious this is the wrong time to be traveling in those regions with ABD - too many cancellations of published activities. I will say, however, if it's not listed on the itinerary (such as NYE fireworks or special events), I would not plan on it happening. Whenever we do ABD, I always check the itinerary to see if there is anything extra we want to do in the area that isn't listed on the itinerary and then plan to do it on our own during the trip or pre/post-trip. I, personally, would not have waited for an ABD "surprise" to plan my NYE.

Well, true. I wouldn't have assumed they were going to do something if it wasn't stated, but I'm also shocked that they got you there but didn't plan anything to begin with. Knowing it's a huge draw, you'd think they'd at least tell families to plan ahead because things book up but "we're letting you find the activity that best fits your needs" or something like that. Finding last minute plans for that is much different than OYO time for shopping and dinner on a regular, non-holiday evening.

OP - sorry that your experience was so bad. Bad weather and holiday season - very unfortunate combination, as it must have dramatically limited the replacement activity options.

I've always been worried about the holiday trips - I mean, a lot of the places that ABDs go completely close down for Christmas (and maybe also the day before or the day after, depending on the country). And it isn't like in the US - many of these countries actually have rules about honoring vacation and holidays, as well as cultures that favor it. As such, food and tours are going to be an issue on those closed days - whether with Disney or on your own.

And when I think about the price/day of an ABD, I have a hard time justifying the fact that the holiday days will NOT be typical ABD days. As such, I've focused on summer trips.

I'd always assumed that it was pretty clear in the itineraries for these holiday trips that things were not going to be like the normal itinerary. But I will admit that I haven't looked at them very closely.

But also - if it isn't listed on your itinerary - you should not expect it. Yes, trips tend to have some magic, but they tend to be little things. Like getting an ice cream break, etc.

OP - sorry that your experience was so bad. Bad weather and holiday season - very unfortunate combination, as it must have dramatically limited the replacement activity options.

I've always been worried about the holiday trips - I mean, a lot of the places that ABDs go completely close down for Christmas (and maybe also the day before or the day after, depending on the country). And it isn't like in the US - many of these countries actually have rules about honoring vacation and holidays, as well as cultures that favor it. As such, food and tours are going to be an issue on those closed days - whether with Disney or on your own.

And when I think about the price/day of an ABD, I have a hard time justifying the fact that the holiday days will NOT be typical ABD days. As such, I've focused on summer trips.

I'd always assumed that it was pretty clear in the itineraries for these holiday trips that things were not going to be like the normal itinerary. But I will admit that I haven't looked at them very closely.

But also - if it isn't listed on your itinerary - you should not expect it. Yes, trips tend to have some magic, but they tend to be little things. Like getting an ice cream break, etc.
With ABD, we did two Christmas trips--for London and Paris (2009) we spent Christmas day in Disneyland Paris (VIP tour and dinner at Walts), and in Germany (2009 I believe) nothing was open but the guides got us into a Munich circus that traditionally opened on Christmas Day. So they can usually find things--

Well, true. I wouldn't have assumed they were going to do something if it wasn't stated, but I'm also shocked that they got you there but didn't plan anything to begin with. Knowing it's a huge draw, you'd think they'd at least tell families to plan ahead because things book up but "we're letting you find the activity that best fits your needs" or something like that. Finding last minute plans for that is much different than OYO time for shopping and dinner on a regular, non-holiday evening.

I just wouldn't expect this from ABD. In all my experience (granted, it's only 3 trips), I have never found the communication to be personalized (in fact, sometimes I've gotten wrong information from them). They send out their pat e-mails and documents and that's about it. I don't see them adjusting that communication for these trips. I'm assuming everyone on this trip knew it was going to be NYE in Sydney and there was nothing on the published itinerary about a special ABD NYE event, so I'm not sure why it was expected? - personally, I would have reached out to ABD beforehand to see if anything was planned. If not, I think it's on the guest to figure this out. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around being mad at ABD for not delivering something that was never promised. The other cancelled, published activities? Yeah, I would be really, really disappointed if they didn't deliver what was published.

I just wouldn't expect this from ABD. In all my experience (granted, it's only 3 trips), I have never found the communication to be personalized (in fact, sometimes I've gotten wrong information from them). They send out their pat e-mails and documents and that's about it. I don't see them adjusting that communication for these trips. I'm assuming everyone on this trip knew it was going to be NYE in Sydney and there was nothing on the published itinerary about a special ABD NYE event, so I'm not sure why it was expected? - personally, I would have reached out to ABD beforehand to see if anything was planned. If not, I think it's on the guest to figure this out. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around being mad at ABD for not delivering something that was never promised. The other cancelled, published activities? Yeah, I would be really, really disappointed if they didn't deliver what was published.
I mentioned a Xmas Germany trip-- no bike ride or other activities, which we didn't expect given the time of year (and snowfall!). I think that was the only time they did a Germany Xmas trip given the difficulty.

Based on your review and another review that was posted about touring NZ over the Christmas holidays, it's quite obvious this is the wrong time to be traveling in those regions with ABD - too many cancellations of published activities. I will say, however, if it's not listed on the itinerary (such as NYE fireworks or special events), I would not plan on it happening. Whenever we do ABD, I always check the itinerary to see if there is anything extra we want to do in the area that isn't listed on the itinerary and then plan to do it on our own during the trip or pre/post-trip. I, personally, would not have waited for an ABD "surprise" to plan my NYE.
I certainly appreciate this, but we actually asked ABD well in advance if anything was planned. It would not provide a straight answer for the longest time, but eventually said “no.” Unfortunately, by that point everything was booked. I also think ABD could have helped all of us on the tour identify places to eat/go on our own, but basically just told us “best of luck.”

I certainly appreciate this, but we actually asked ABD well in advance if anything was planned. It would not provide a straight answer for the longest time, but eventually said “no.” Unfortunately, by that point everything was booked. I also think ABD could have helped all of us on the tour identify places to eat/go on our own, but basically just told us “best of luck.”

That's unfortunate and I'm not surprised by this. Don't get me wrong, we have enjoyed our ABDs, but I've found the info we get pre-trip to be less than thorough - it always seems there is a bit of a disconnect between pre-trip staff and the info receive vs. what is actually happening with the guides on the ground. I'm sorry you had a less-than-stellar experience.

I'm so sorry your trip turned out this poorly, and I agree that ABD should know about the challenges of traveling over Christmas and adjust that specific tour accordingly. The only thing I disagree with is gambling on what Disney may or may not do... surprising you with fireworks if it is not on the plan would upset other folks who may have made plans ahead. I know we would have, and it's probably expensive and non-refundable in Sydney. They should either add it and let everyone know from the start, or not at all. I'd rather they did, of course!

We've had enough hassle on trips over the holidays now to know what we're signing up for. The first time was rough, the last few have been fine as we know to arrange meals ahead of time and have a plan for how to fill those days of limited offerings. If ABD is not willing to do the legwork on that... then I agree, they're not a good option!

@grubens thank you for reporting on the problems you had. While many of us on this board are fans of ABD, it is also very useful to hear where things didn't go well or as expected. For example, we've learned that the "food and wine" cruises are basically normal cruises without special food and wine experiences, and that the private group experiences didn't use real ABD guides.

The surprises I've experienced or heard about tend to be small, but sometimes memorable. Examples: Food treats, small gifts, unexpected photo ops, encounters with dancers, musicians or characters. The notable exception are the So. California trips, probably because Disney controls their parks. I've heard that during Halloween time, some trips get free tickets to the Halloween event in the parks, which usually sells out well in advance. We got a special viewing section by the water to see Fantasmic. Since World of Color was broken during my trip, they substituted a reserved viewing section for the Paint the Night parade.

ABD doesn't seem to do anything special for holidays. For our Xmas dinner on the ABD New Zealand trip, they added "poppers" that burst and provide a cheap toy but other than that I think it was the normal welcome dinner.

My New Zealand trip started on Christmas and went past New Years. Some businesses and restaurants are closed during this entire period. We only missed one activity (horseback riding) and ABD substituted a gondola trip and cart racing that was a perfectly fine replacement to me, and they let us know about this several weeks in advance. Fortunately, on New Years Day the businesses in Franz Josef were open. But another NZ trip around that time period had more problems with unavailable activities.

Your Australia trip had many more cancellations and problems than I experienced. I agree that it is disappointing that ABD couldn't provide better alternatives or switch which days had dinner covered so that you weren't stuck with pizza and burgers for Xmas dinner.

I've had Korey as a guide and will vouch for him. Had a great experience on the trip he led.

Sorry about your experience, must be terrible to spend all those money for a subpar experience. Unfortunately Australia is like this everything shuts at 5 pm... I know I live here!

Sorry to hear that the ABD Australian tour over the holidays didn’t meet your expectations. I know how frustrating that must be given the cost.

The past couple of years, I’ve traveled with ABD for the Xmas holidays (New Zealand, Egypt, Galapagos (2024)) and have loved being overseas during that time. However, as OP have mentioned, other countries handle holidays very differently than the U.S. does.

I did the New Zealand ABD in 2022 and that was where we saw the most places closed leading up to and after Christmas. There were several substitutions for planned events, but I didn’t feel that any of the deviations detracted from the trip. When possible, ABD sprinkled pixie dust. Such as giving each family money for lunch because there was only one restaurant open in Franz Josef and making reservations for and paying for everyone‘s dinner because only one restaurant was open for dinner. The Arthur Pass train was closed, so we took the bus the entire way—the bus driver said this was better because he could stop at places the train couldn’t so that we could see the views. We were in Christchurch on Christmas Eve and the punter for our boat complained that some of the workers had to work on Christmas because the owner agreed to honor a group’s reservation. Apparently, all of the other reservations had been canceled.

Pre-Covid, I did the ABD Australia trip (different itinerary) over the Christmas holiday. We were in Sydney for Christmas and I don’t remember us doing much on that day. Dinner was at the hotel restaurant. The Great Barrier Reef snorkeling was on a boat with other people, so that hasn’t changed. Our group was broken into two groups and we were the only snorkelers in the water with the guide during those times. When the tour ended, I stayed over in Sydney for NYE. I did a lot of research and paid a good amount of money (it was worth it) to have a catered multi course meal and view the fireworks across from the Sydney Harbor Bridge. You have to get up pretty early to get one of the free viewing spots. I don’t think there’s any amount of pixie dust that would allow ABD to book a viewing area for everyone.

On the other hand, I’ve spent Christmas/New Years in Hawaii and have had similar experiences. Not everything is open and most restaurants that are open only serve a prix fixe menu. Reservations fill up very quickly once they’re opened. Of course some of the tours run, but anything else is debatable.

It seems to me that if a tour company is scheduling you to be at a location for a special holiday, instead of avoiding the holiday, there is a logical expectation that part of the schedule would include the holiday. There are 365 days in the year, and only a small amount of those days are chosen by the tour company. If they choose to include a special holiday I would expect it to be part of the program. It would be more logical for this trip to schedule the trip to end a day before the holiday, and those that wanted to celebrate could book a post day and take care of their own arrangements. Win Win.

We have travelled ABD once on Christmas eve and day, and ABD made both special. In fact these were the ONLY days not plagued with problems on that trip.

I also completely agree with comments here that ABD back office is simply not good; early in ABD times it was VERY good and a draw. They copied a lot of what Tauck offered lists of books and materials that are relevant to the tour and help set the stage for the event. That disappeared years ago; Tauck still does this. For Australia we asked the vacationista about OYO ideas and received wonderful feedback. We were looking to explore the "glow worms" in Australia and they advised they had considered adding it to the tour, checked it out and did not recommend it. The vacationista went on to suggest that she personally thought the place to see these best is in New Zealand, and they didn't offer a trip there. We remembered her comment and on our New Zealand trip found this to be amazing.

We are headed out for trip 10 with ABD in a few weeks to Egypt. When traveling with ABD our expectations are that the back office will be terrible (it was on this trip as well) guides will be good to excellent, the food and accommodations listed to be okay to good, special access to be wonderful, hotels to be good, and program to be fast paced and full. We also expect that safety and security is fully handled. When we want wonderful hotels and four course meals with a leisurely pace of touring, and not too active, we go with Tauck.

Regardless, there is adventure out there however you choose to travel. Some great things come from ruptured plans. Attitude is really important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter