? about adult and child credits

Tinkerbellmom33

DIS Veteran
My husband is confused about how the restaurants keep track of the credits.
Here's my example:
We are eating at FF, it's a 2TS credit restaurant. He thinks if we don't use my daughters TS credit (child) , we will have saved 2TS credits. He doesn't think they differentiate between the two credits. Are they all lumped together and you just use them?
I thought if we don't use hers, it's a child credit and we're not saving anything really. :confused3

It is and it isn't. You're buying adult credits and child credits, but Disney's not going to keep you honest -- they leave that up to your own personal integrity.

bicker said:
It is and it isn't. You're buying adult credits and child credits, but Disney's not going to keep you honest -- they leave that up to your own personal integrity.

I'll respectfully but strongly disagree. You're paying a different price for adults and children but Disney makes no reference to an adult or a child credit. None of the promotional material makes any distinction and the computer system doesn't make a distinction. Put your 2 children in a kids club your last night and go to a signature restaurant. The computer will debit your account your remaining 4 TS credits. Sorry but Disney doesn't expect you to keep track of how your credits are used. They certainly don't expect you to contradict the server and insist on paying for one meal out of pocket and forfeit your remaining 2 TS credits, assuming you're leaving early the next morning.

Now a guest who plans on paying OPP for all of the child's meals out of pocket and using those credits to purchase adult meals may be "smart consumers" but I tend to think they're greedy and taking advantage of Disney's generosity.

Sorry but I don't see how following the rules can be dishonest or unethical.

Disney is generous in other areas. Children pay less in buffet restaurants but are free to eat "adult foods". Children who are tall enough can ride the "adult attractions" even though they pay a reduced admission charge. Guests can make multiple trips to the buffet without paying extra.

The fact that this provision has existed in prior meal plans and the fact that Disney still hasn't changed the plan would suggest the issue isn't as big a deal as some of us think it is.

It's "working the system," if you will. In another thread we're talking about working the system, too. In that case it is a firefighter who is pulling in disability but probably could get another job that isn't quite so physical. However, he's "following the rules" -- taking advantage of the state's "generosity" or leniency, as the case may be. :rolleyes: Is it ethical? I'd say no. It is in the public interest to allow that sort of thing? I'd say no. Is it illegal? Unfortunately, I'd also say no.

I haven't seen the firefighter thread but I don't have a problem if the firefighter fairly and accurately presents his medical condition to the appropriate people. It's in the public interest not to continue to employee fire fighters who aren't healthy enough to do the job or who have health conditions that could be significantly worsened due to continued employment.

It's up the municipality and the union to decide if those employees should be re-assigned to other positions or should be given disability.

I still don't see how a guest who follows Disney's rules is being unethical. My answer would be different if Disney indicated that there were child and adult credits but didn't bother programming the computer to differentiate. By your definition a guest who makes more than 2 or 3 visits to the buffet line is also being unethical.

Sorry but it's really not right for us to make up our own rules and then attack the ethics, integrity or honesty of guests who chose to follow Disney's rules as opposed to rules that we make up. Is it "working the system"? Maybe if a guest pays OOP for all the child's meals and uses those credits for adult meals. I'd disagree if the credits come from meals the kids aren't even eating due to skipping a meal or even spending the night in a kids club.

This "feature" of the plan has been common internet knowledge from the time the plan was announced. Disney has had plenty of time to change it if they had a problem. My guess is not as many people are actually doing this as we think.

bicker said:
It's "working the system," if you will. In another thread we're talking about working the system, too. In that case it is a firefighter who is pulling in disability but probably could get another job that isn't quite so physical. However, he's "following the rules" -- taking advantage of the state's "generosity" or leniency, as the case may be. :rolleyes: Is it ethical? I'd say no. It is in the public interest to allow that sort of thing? I'd say no. Is it illegal? Unfortunately, I'd also say no.

Thank you for clearing that up, I think.
I'm gathering they don't differentiate the credits. They are all pooled together. I will have to keep track of what we use myself. It seems like there's so much involved with keeping track of credits everytime you eat.
We've never used the DP before and for some reason I'm finding it a little confusing. I'm not trying to steal from Disney or create an ethics debate. I thought I had read in the past that when you get your receipt from dinner, it will state how many points you have left. I assumed (what's that saying? :teeth: ) it showed adult and child. So both my husband and I were correct.

from what I understand your receipt will NOT show adult ts child ts, etc. It will show xx ts, xx cs and xx snacks left. From all of the reading that is what I have gotten out of it. I will be trying the ddp in May and really looking forward to it.

Maybe if a guest pays OOP for all the child's meals and uses those credits for adult meals. I'd disagree if the credits come from meals the kids aren't even eating due to skipping a meal or even spending the night in a kids club.
I can accept your logic in that regard, and hold firm to my assertion that deliberately working the Dining Plan is wrong. Thanks for the clarification Lewis.

Don't forget....Its all subject to change without notice!! :rotfl2:

bicker said:
I can accept your logic in that regard, and hold firm to my assertion that deliberately working the Dining Plan is wrong. Thanks for the clarification Lewis.

I think I'd only go so far as to call those, probably very few, guests greedy. Since they're following the rules I wouldn't call them thieves or even unethical.

I'm sure they think they're "smart consumers" and they might be right.

Could anyone have answered the question before the debate began? Guess not!

So here goes...until Disney changes it, here is how it works. You pay one price for ages 3-9 and another for 10+. Then Disney puts "credits" on your room key. The key will say, for example, 2 A, 1C. You will get 1 credit per person, per night. The credits are currently yours to do with as you please. Your recipt everytime you use the plan will show how many credits you have remaining. It will not show child and adult credits separately.
If you have 4 credits left the last night and want to do 2 adults at a 2 TS restaurant you may do that, even if-by your count- the 2 spare credits were from the child credits. Disney does not currently count them apart and they don't expect you to either.
As an aside, if you are doing the 2ts meal the last night make sure you have either 2 or 4 credits available. You can pay cash for one meal if needed but you can't use just one credit toward half of a 2 credit meal.
This could change tomorrow but that is no reason for the Dis MP (morality police) to slam into you instead of answering the question.
Have a great trip!

It seems as though some people are always so worried about the integrity of others. I would pay out of pocket at a 2TS restaurant for my child if they didn't eat very much. Why waste them. I would then use them however they were needed.

It seems as though some people are always so worried about the integrity of others.
Never half as much as worried about our own integrity. When did honesty and integrity become considered such bad words? :sad2:

To the last two posters, thank you for the very helpful explanation!! That explained a lot.
I wasn't sure how to keep track of the points and Dh and I were debating how they were used. He read and understood better than I did. I'm more worried about the paper work then getting over on Disney dining. There are 5 of us so I was just hoping I didn't have to walk around with a piece of paper, keeping track at every meal. Saving money on the DP is not worth the hassle of worrying about credits at every meal.
Honesty and Integrity are not bad words, but it seems it was automatically assumed I was "working the system."
MP are out in full force these days!! :rotfl2: I asked a simple question. Maybe I didn't word it correctly?
I get enough unsolicited advice from my mother in law!!!! :rotfl:

My ds is 10 so he would need to buy an adult DP. But since from what I read DW doesn't differentiate between adult and child TS & CS can he order from the childs menu and use his adult TS as a childs CS?

Tinkerbellmom33 said:
To the last two posters, thank you for the very helpful explanation!! That explained a lot.
I wasn't sure how to keep track of the points and Dh and I were debating how they were used. He read and understood better than I did. I'm more worried about the paper work then getting over on Disney dining. There are 5 of us so I was just hoping I didn't have to walk around with a piece of paper, keeping track at every meal. Saving money on the DP is not worth the hassle of worrying about credits at every meal.
Honesty and Integrity are not bad words, but it seems it was automatically assumed I was "working the system."
MP are out in full force these days!! :rotfl2: I asked a simple question. Maybe I didn't word it correctly?
I get enough unsolicited advice from my mother in law!!!! :rotfl:
Amen Sister!! :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

natanya said:
My ds is 10 so he would need to buy an adult DP. But since from what I read DW doesn't differentiate between adult and child TS & CS can he order from the childs menu and use his adult TS as a childs CS?

Yep...one of ours will be barely 10 on our next trip. We are paying adult price for him & he will most likely eat cheapest menu items/kids meals by choice!

But by the adult versus child credit logic, the 10 YO should/could ONLY order from the ADULT menu since he is paying the "adult price". I don't think so...

So sometimes it goes in Disney's favor & not the guests. :p

However for us it still all works out as a good deal for our family! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter