Accessable Bathrooms

kathyk2

DIS Veteran
Do you think it is acceptable for able bodied people to use accessable stalls? I got into this discussion at the debate board. Some folks think that it's ok for a mom and her children to use those stalls. IMO the grab bars aren't there for decoration. I don't believe in using my disability to get special treatment, however I'll use facilities that have been created for me to use. People with disabilities have fought for access for so long they shouldn't have their accessability co-opted by the able bodied. I don't think diaper changing stations belong in accessble stalls.

Originally posted by kathyk2
Do you think it is acceptable for able bodied people to use accessable stalls? I got into this discussion at the debate board. Some folks think that it's ok for a mom and her children to use those stalls. IMO the grab bars aren't there for decoration. I don't believe in using my disability to get special treatment, however I'll use facilities that have been created for me to use. People with disabilities have fought for access for so long they shouldn't have their accessability co-opted by the able bodied. I don't think diaper changing stations belong in accessble stalls.

While I get very very upset about people taking parking spaces, bathroom stalls are something else again. I believe that as long as someone in a wheechair is not waiting to use the faciity that others should use it, it is rediculous for there to be lines for instance to use the rest room and no one use the handicapped stall.

I don't consider it to be the same thing.

If all the stalls are full then sure use it but if they are all empty don't use it. I don't buy the excuse that you can't get in a regular stall with your child. As a mother of 2 DD's in wheelchairs I have done my fair share of lifting one of them out of their wheelchair and carrying them in a regular stall and cathed them before they were old enough to do it themselves.

I can't even count the times we have gone into the bathroom and all the stalls but the handicap were empty and the handicap had an able bodied person in it. Yes, I know some disabilities can't be seen but you know they are able bodied when the say they are sorry for using the stall when they leave.

The other thing that gets me is handicap dressing rooms. Also very hard to get if you need it. Except at Wallmart where they will tell you to use any dressing room except the handicap dressing room.

Michigan Kohl's department store has accessable dressing rooms as well. I believe any new department store has to meet ADA standards.

Hi kathyk2! And welcome to the disAbilities board!

I have no problem with people using handicap stalls when there is no other choice, as long as people don't spend lengthy periods of time in the stalls and as long as people with disabilities are invited to use the stall by people who are waiting ahead of them in line. The reality is that the law does NOT require handicap stalls to be left open and only used by people with disabilities, unlike handicapped parking spots.

And my main point is that handicap stalls are a necessity for people with disabilities and a convenience for people who do not have a disability. As long as people are polite and aware of the difference between necessity and convenience(smile), there really probably isn't much of a problem with handicapped stalls. To be honest, I wish that there were many more larger stalls with the higher toilets since everyone prefers them, but that is a system problem and not something that any one individual can do much about.

Kathy2K I think most stores do have handicap dressing rooms, that's not the problem the problem is that they are always full . Unlike bathroom stalls I look for wheels under the dressing room doors and if I don't see them I ask them how much longer they are going to be because I have 2 wheelchairs that need to use the dressing room. Once they know a wheelchair needs that room I have never had a problem with anyone refusing to leave it. Instead most say they just didn't realize that a wheelchair couldn't fit in the other rooms.

One thing I find really irritating is the use of the handicapped stall in the bathroom nearest Kali Rapids by people to change their wet clothes. It create a dangerous hazard to any handicapped guest who needs to use the stall as the floors are wet and slick. Avoid this one like the plague now.
If there are plenty of stalls there is no reason to use a handicapped stall other than convenience of having a larger stall. I can see using one if you come in and there are no other stalls available and there is no handicapped person entering or already trying to get there. ( I have seen a person walk right in front of a person in a wheelchair and grab the handicapped stall on occasion)

I was at Disney last May and not once in a week was I able to use a handicap stall in any of the parks. They were alway full of mothers and kids and there were always empty stalls available. I would leave my wheelchair outside with DH and then I couldn't stand long enough to wait for the mother and 2 or more kids to be done. It was very frustrating. Maybe there should be "family" stalls like there is in my local mall. Or several handicap ones instead of one or two.

Originally posted by McCall
While I get very very upset about people taking parking spaces, bathroom stalls are something else again. I believe that as long as someone in a wheechair is not waiting to use the faciity that others should use it, it is rediculous for there to be lines for instance to use the rest room and no one use the handicapped stall.

I don't consider it to be the same thing.

Well, I sure hope you aren't the next person that I yank out of an accessible stall because I'm about to lose control and can't use a regular stall. If you only thought about it, using the excuse of "It was empty when I got here" is pure nonsense. Of course it was empty...how often do people look for stalls to use that are NOT empty?

Remember, the accessible stall you poach one minute will surely have a PWD in a wheelchair arriving anxiously at the door the minute you set your bottom down... If you're really unlucky it will be me.

This is a major pet peeve of mine. However, I do realize that not all handicaps are visible. And in this sick world we live in, I know I would never like to leave a small child unattended while I used a stall. That being said, I have seen many abuses of using the handicap stall while one applied makeup, primped and fixed their hair, while knowing I was on the other side waiting with a wheelchair. I suppose it all boils down to lack of consideration or maybe lack of education. However, this is being posted on a disabilities site, so the message isn't likely being seen by those who could use this information. When one says "sorry" I'd like them to promise they would never do it again. lol. Maybe in a perfect world...Then again, in a perfect world we wouldn't have handicap stalls.
I suppose the reason baby changing stations are in these stalls are so the baby changer will have access to wash basins etc. I personally feel the baby changing station should be out in the area where the other wash basins are. Unless the baby changer is disabled in which case the tables are far to high anyway. There again...lack of consideration.

Originally posted by Michigan

I can't even count the times we have gone into the bathroom and all the stalls but the handicap were empty and the handicap had an able bodied person in it. Yes, I know some disabilities can't be seen but you know they are able bodied when the say they are sorry for using the stall when they leave.

I've been in that situation, you walk into a ladies room with 3 stalls, 2 regular, 1 handicapped accessible. The two regular are full and you gotta go so you use the handicapped accessible one. The two women in the regular stalls leave before you do and a person in a wheelchair arrives just as you are exiting the handicapped accessible stall making you look like an idiot but it happens. Timing is everything and sometimes it's against you. I do my best to be quick and not hog the handicapped accessible stall but if I enter a bathroom and it's the only one available well, I'm going to use it but then I use it for it's intended purpose and not as a changing room or because I like the extra space.

Originally posted by videogal1
Well, I sure hope you aren't the next person that I yank out of an accessible stall because I'm about to lose control and can't use a regular stall. If you only thought about it, using the excuse of "It was empty when I got here" is pure nonsense. Of course it was empty...how often do people look for stalls to use that are NOT empty?

Remember, the accessible stall you poach one minute will surely have a PWD in a wheelchair arriving anxiously at the door the minute you set your bottom down... If you're really unlucky it will be me.

Well first of all you would have to WHEEL me out of there since I AM in a wheelchair.

Hello--

I'm a lurker here (we'll possibly be visiting WDW soon with a relative who is in a wheelchair) but I wanted to add my somewhat sheepish two cents to this thread.

I'm guilty of using the accessible "companion" restrooms on a recent trip to WDW. I was alone that day with a 3-year-old and a baby, and those nice big restrooms were SO convenient. Honestly, I had NO idea that they were meant only for people with disabilities and their assisting companions--I am so accustomed to seeing "family" restrooms at airports and malls, I just assumed that was what the big restrooms at WDW were for! I remember noticing the handicapped symbol by the door, and I did look around to see if anyone was waiting to use the restroom (and we tried to be as quick as possible as we do in any public restroom), but honestly I thought those restrooms were for anyone who needed assistance (including a mom with two little kids!). I discovered my mistake later, when I read a thread on the Families board that discussed the accessible WDW restrooms.

I won't use the companion restrooms at WDW again now that I know this, but I just wanted to ask folks to please give families with small kids the benefit of the doubt at WDW--many families are getting so accustomed to "family" restrooms at other venues, they might not realize the real purpose for the companion restrooms at WDW.

Thanks! :)
Janet

If the handicap ACCESSIBLE stall is the only one available, I will use it. I believe it's for all to use. I also believe that all bathroom stalls should be accessible. I know they're not, but they should be. Every public building should be accessible!

And if someone ever tried to "yank" me out of the stall, I would have that person arrested for assault.

And before you brand me as being unsympathetic, please realize that I deal with issues of accessiblity and safety every school day, as I assist a disabled student. It has made me realize that we should all be treated equally, none of us is a perfect specimen of humanity, we all have imperfections, and we are all here together - helping where we can, and expecting fair and equal treatment.

please remember that not all disabilities are visible. i'm not always in a wheelchair or with my rollator. upon seeing me exit a stall, you might not be able to tell i have a disease; however, neurological problems associated with my MS sometimes make my need to urinate IMMEDIATE. if the wc stall is all that's open, i'm using it, with no apologies and hopefully with no dirty looks.

I also agree with those who have said if there's no other stall available, then certainly it's appropriate for an able bodied person to use the handicapped access stall. Also, for the poster who said she used the companion restrooms, .....if you look at the icons outside, it shows the universal man, woman, and w/c symbol. This means it is for everyone who needs/uses a companion. Thus, it's not just solely for the disabled. It does appear on the park maps as a place for the disabled to be accomodated which may be part of the confusion.
I also needed the accessible stall prior to using a w/c since I needed the grab bars due to poor balance and some had a somewhat higher seat, so yes, there are folks with invisible disabilities who need that stall. I don't judge others, but hope people will use common courtesy. I also don't feel it's appropriate to use words that appear to "attack" others on this board, which I have seen in an above post. We are all trying to work out things together on this board and should discuss issues civilly vs. with a hostile presentation. ----Kathy

Please, let's all stay friendly here.

I do think that some people use the accessible stall without realizing it until later and I DO know that a lot of people are not really aware of what a Companion Restroom is for and they just use it because they see it.
My FIL has very bad hips and knees and would really benefit from using the handicapped stalls in the bathroom, but he won't because he's afraid people won't think he's "disabled" enough.
I agree with what Figaro said:
And my main point is that handicap stalls are a necessity for people with disabilities and a convenience for people who do not have a disability. As long as people are polite and aware of the difference between necessity and convenience(smile), there really probably isn't much of a problem with handicapped stalls.
Some people can choose to use the handicapped stall or Companion Restroom. For other people, there is no choice. I just wish that all the people who are choosing have looked at their options and chosen the one that inconveniences the fewest people.

I definitely would not use the accessible stall if other ones were available, or if someone in line behind needed the accessible one.

To those of you in wheelchairs, or need the accessible stall for other reasons, do you wait in line, or do you head right to the stall? I usually look behind me to see if someone else needs the accessible stall, but it's an awkward situation when someone's disability is not an obvious one. I also ask if anyone in line needs the accessible stall before I go in.

My mom uses the accessible stall because she has a severe problem with both knees when she has to bend them too much (like all the way down onto a toilet) She needs the bars to get herself back up, or else I have to haul her up if she can't manage to grab hold of the toilet dispenser in a regular stall. :eek: I'm a bit concerned that one day the dispenser will come off the wall, and she'll go flying back into the toilet...

****Quoted from post above:

Some people can choose to use the handicapped stall or Companion Restroom. For other people, there is no choice. I just wish that all the people who are choosing have looked at their options and chosen the one that inconveniences the fewest people.

End of quote***

Of course people who need the accessible stalls can use them - but are you trying to say that if someone else is in there, that it's not fair that the others have to wait to use the facility? What if they had to wait for another person who needed to use the accessible stall for the same reason?

My kids wait in line and when it becomes available someone in the front always tells them the stall is free and then they go up to the front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter