• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Accessible rooms

LindsayDunn228

<font color=teal>Quite a hunk of man, isn't he???<
Hi everyone. I'm go glad to have found this site. :love:

I am a T5-6 paraplegic, which basically means I am paralyzed from the waist down. I got married this past Feb. and honeymoon in DW. My hubby and I stayed at the Coronado Springs. We had requested a handicapped room w/ a roll-in shower. When we actually got there I was shocked to see how awesome the shower turned out to be. It actually had a bench attached to the wall that you could even slide, if needed. I just rolled up to the side of the bench and transferred lickety split. This was just about as perfect a room as I have ever stayed in.

My question is: has anyone stayed in a accessible room in another resort with a shower like this one? Please fill me in and share pics if possible. Also, if someone would be so kind as to show me how to post a pic in my post I will put a pic of the shower on here.

Thanks for any and all help! :jumping1:

While we are fortunate enough not to need them, we have been placed in an acess studio at Old Key West. They also have a large roll in shower. I think the seats are made of wood...I'm not sure, it has been several years since we were in that type of room.

I think Disney access rooms (at least at the resorts built over the last 10 to 15 years) probably all have a nice roll in showers. They seem to go above and beyond for guests with mobility issues. :)

I was in an accessible room at the GF, the bathroom was very large, with grab rails for the toilet and a roll in shower with a bench like you described.

Also I was in a suite at the AKL that while not classified accessible, did have a roll in shower and flip down seat. This leads me to believe that rooms actually classified accessible would offer the same amenity.

Anne

Yes, on our honeymoon in 95 we had a HC room, ground floor overlooking the otter pond, with a king size bed. Roll-in shower with seat, grab bars. We didn't need it but the shower seat sure came in handy when my brand-new DH got bronchitis halfway through our honeymoon. He would turn the hot water on full blast and sit on the seat to steam the gunk out of his lungs.

We've had rollin showers at the Polynesian, GF, BC and BCV villas as our daughter has CP and needs one. The BC one may not have had the seat but that was years ago and it could be just my memory! All the other rooms have had them....multiple rooms. However, I don't think the seats slide....they just fold up or down???

But there are other accessible rooms that have tubs with grab bars. Those work better for some people and in fact when are daughter was little that is what we requested on our trips.

When you make your reservation, just make sure you request the rollin shower. The room will be blocked for you and no one but special needs can change that assignment.

BCV23 said:
We've had rollin showers at the Polynesian, GF, BC and BCV villas as our daughter has CP and needs one. The BC one may not have had the seat but that was years ago and it could be just my memory! All the other rooms have had them....multiple rooms. However, I don't think the seats slide....they just fold up or down???
I think you're right; the ones I've been in and remember just have the seat that folds up and down. There is a picture of the BCV roll in shower on the DIS pictures page. I don't have time right now to look for it, but will look later.
For the OP, if you go to the Technical Assistance Board, you should be able to find out how to post a picture. That sounds like a really nice shower.

SueM in MN said:
I think you're right; the ones I've been in and remember just have the seat that folds up and down. There is a picture of the BCV roll in shower on the DIS pictures page. I don't have time right now to look for it, but will look later.
For the OP, if you go to the Technical Assistance Board, you should be able to find out how to post a picture. That sounds like a really nice shower.

I don't remember the seat sliding, just folding up or down like Sue says. However, the shower head did slide up and down, from about 2.5 feet to about 6 feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter