Accessible Transportation Options Between Pop Century and Orlando

c_los75

Earning My Ears
On our only free day during our WDW/Universal Orlando trip, my friend and I would like to go into Orlando itself. Our plan is to take a taxi to the PULSE Memorial, then a regular bus to Hamburger Mary's (or a better nearby restaurant) for lunch. Then, we'll return back to POP CENTURY to rest via taxi.

Are there better transportation options to do this? I'm open to using paratransit, as I am a paratransit client at home. And, I'm comfortable taking the regular city bus.

I think a Mears taxi is probably your best option. If you or your companion can load your mobility device into the back of a car, Uber/Lyft may be another option - probably less expensive than a taxi.

I recall reading a post where someone has used paratransit, but I'm not sure how difficult that may be to get set-up for an out-of-town visitor. Rides need to be scheduled in advance which could be a challenge for vacationing. Using regular bus routes may depend on where you actually want to go in Orlando and could be time-consuming if not a direct route.

Last edited:
I’ve loaded many configurations of wheelchairs into the trunks of Uber Xls over the years.

I think a Mears taxi is probably your best option. If you or your companion can load your mobility device into the back of a car, Uber/Lyft may be another option - probably less expensive than a taxi.

I recall reading a post where someone has used paratransit, but I'm not sure how difficult that may be to get set-up for an out-of-town visitor. Rides need to be scheduled in advance which could be a challenge for vacationing. Using regular bus routes may depend on where you actually want to go in Orlando and could be time-consuming if not a direct route.
I have a QUICKIE QM-710 power wheelchair that does not fold.

I've used out-of-town paratransit when the destination didn't have good taxis or public transit. So, I'm used to the procedure, as it's pretty much the same around the country. And, I'm used to planning in advance. I rarely do 'last minute' stuff.

As for public transportation, I've already checked GOOGLE MAPS, and going from the PULSE Memorial to Hamburger Mary's just takes one bus. So, unless things are not as simple as they claim to be, I should be okay. I've taken public transit in 9 different metro areas. It's my norm.

My only concern is going out of the WDW resort area into and back from the City of Orlando itself.

You've assumed I have a manual wheelchair. I don't.

Actually, I didn’t. I’ve loaded many power chairs.

You didn’t say you had a wheelchair at all, so I guess the answer depends on what you mean by accessible.

I have a QUICKIE QM-710 power wheelchair that does not fold.
Mears has accessible taxis, that is an option. Uber/Lyft would not be an option. Since you are comfortable with paratransit and the public bus system, those are also options. I'm not sure how you get from a WDW resort to the closet bus stop as there usually are no sidewalks and WDW discourages pedestrians except on walking paths.

Mears has accessible taxis, that is an option. Uber/Lyft would not be an option. Since you are comfortable with paratransit and the public bus system, those are also options. I'm not sure how you get from a WDW resort to the closet bus stop as there usually are no sidewalks and WDW discourages pedestrians except on walking paths.

Bus stops are located at the TTC, routes 50 and 56 https://www.golynx.com/maps-schedules/routes-schedules.stml

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter