"Accidental" drug overdose

I was watching the Today show this morning and they were talking about Corey Hain. They were talking to a few people, Danny Bonaduce:scared1: being one of them but he said something I found interesting. He said that people always talk about 'legal prescription drugs' He pointed out that if you have a prescription for say vicodin and it is for 1 pill every 6 hours, as soon as you take more than that it is now a recreational drug. He also was saying how with'prescription drugs, you never run out of a source, you can always find them. then they had a Dr who was saying that accidental overdose is now the second leading cause of accidental death(car accidents are first)

They were saying that Corey had flu symptoms and was having trouble breathing. Those drugs suppress your breathing so unfortunately he was probably like Heath Ledger. I think people forget how dangerous prescroption drugs and drug interactions can be. Very sad.

Good points.

But by saying it is "legal" it does mean that Corey was authorized and specifically prescribed thoughs pills.

Clearly the remaining pill count in relation to the fill date would be a clue if he was taking them more than usual.

But that is all beside the point. If he had them legally in his posession--that is much different than finding a stash of needles and heroin. KWIM?

Good points.

But by saying it is "legal" it does mean that Corey was authorized and specifically prescribed thoughs pills.

Clearly the remaining pill count in relation to the fill date would be a clue if he was taking them more than usual.

But that is all beside the point. If he had them legally in his posession--that is much different than finding a stash of needles and heroin. KWIM?

Oh yeah I know but the abuse of prescription drugs is overwhelming these days. Partly because the stigma isn't attached to them that is attached to heroin even though oxy is a an opiate(sp?) These Drs need to be held accountable for over-prescribing these drugs. I'm not talking about Corey here, I have no idea what he took or was prescribed. People need to ne informed that prescription drugs can be just as deadly as street drugs.

Oh yeah I know but the abuse of prescription drugs is overwhelming these days. Partly because the stigma isn't attached to them that is attached to heroin even though oxy is a an opiate(sp?) These Drs need to be held accountable for over-prescribing these drugs. I'm not talking about Corey here, I have no idea what he took or was prescribed. People need to ne informed that prescription drugs can be just as deadly as street drugs.

:thumbsup2

True--for personal reasons, if a physician prescribes me something "strong" and "addictive", I ask for a very limited pill count (to not be tempted) and will do what I can to avoid taking it. If my pain threshhold is good at the time, I'll refuse the prescription.

I just don't feel it is safe b/c I am an oddball who enjoys the very relaxed feeling that some pain meds create.

This is why I'm glad MJ's doc is in oodles of trouble. Something he did wasn't up to snuff and if he contributed to his death, he needs to be held responsible.

Yes--docs need to stop handing this out like candy.

I remember for a migraine, I finally went in and I was too incoherent to decide between one med or the other. Since was home alone with the kids--my doc decided for me to give me the med that just knocks out the headache and the tension had to work it out on its own. He didn't feel it was safe for me to be on something that would make me Lucy Goosey with the kids around. Very smart doc!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter